NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight Newly Registered

Hi guys! This is my first post, what's going onOH MY GOD THIS IS THE END!!! :eek:

Blob, rey1178, AUSTIN PEYTON and 17 others like this.
  2. Ligero_miguel

Ligero_miguel Active Member

Lol I didn't know about all this drama with the admin of the website. I'll just say, please sir admin, sell it. I don't know about the things people are telling but if it were in my hands I wouldn't let a 23 years old website as good as this die, if you can't keep it don't worry, just give it to another person. There's a lot of people involved here who wants this site to continue, please make it happen :)

AntDRAG likes this.
  3. eks20

eks20 Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

Prototopia - Video Game Preservation Community
    Prototopia is temporarily closed sorry!

We'll be reopen by the 11th of June!

Please see discord for more information: Link

This temporary closure is to enable ObscureGamers.com to relaunch to enable Assembler Refugee's to find a home.

(Aka Demon doesn't have $60 odd to renew the other XenForo license :p)

JUST PASSING ALONG

Also lets go to ObscureGamers thats where I think were (at least I am) migrating to

rey1178 likes this.
  4. bulletbob

bulletbob Active Member

the most depressing news i have heard all year.

5. justz00t

justz00t <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

This is seriously sad news, I don't post a ton but have been lurking around and learning since the early 2000s. I still very much enjoy my hobby of collecting development hardware and software and this would have never have been possible without a place like this.

I understand not wanting to foot the bill for such a place yourself and also can understand how devotion to a interest can be lost over such a long time. I do hope that offers to have the forum live under new ownership will be given consideration. I would be happy to invest in keeping the doors open.

Thank you for 23 years!

LuizNai likes this.
  6. LoudCore

LoudCore Newly Registered

lol nice

7. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

Well I'm not receiving my confirmation email to my live.com account, Anybody knows if there's a problem?
    As such, I can't post anything there. :(

8. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

is this who owns the forum?

9. Stevie Goodwin

Stevie Goodwin Spirited Member

Like are all members of this site going to move to Obsucregames.com? I heard that this is happening. I saw Tokimemofan there an hour ago.

10. nullChar

nullChar Active Member

Yes.
    https://www.obscuregamers.com/ is where everyone from AG should meet up.

11. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Well, I have to say this is a sad thing to hear, but not entirely surprising. It was pretty obvious this was the trajectory the site was on.

And, despite the circumstances, it's nice to hear from Kevin just to know he's still alive. Pity this site had to end this way, but ultimately real life is always going to be more important.

Blob, AUSTIN PEYTON, LuizNai and 2 others like this.
  12. Damn-Deal-Done

Damn-Deal-Done Spirited Member

Is that $60 a month to run the forum? Or am I misunderstanding his post?

Can someone point me to the Encyclopedia Dramatica article on Kevin so I can understand why he's taking his bat and ball home?

If one doesn't exist, can someone create one and then point me to it?

Obviously that's a joke (not really), but I am completely in the dark about his motivation to do something like this. Destroy something of value rather than give it away. Seems like there's a serious malfunction somewhere in this equation.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  13. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Great! No need for a Facebook group.

But is it confirmed that the vital information on this forum is being backed up so we can link to it or move it over to OG / new place?

14. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Likewise.

Durandal likes this.
  15. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Spirited Member

Well that makes two of us.

Is a clone of the site something that people here want? Or are we moving to obscuregamers.com?

16. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

ah shit...oh well, If everybody is moving to Obscuregamers, see you there then. Bring your knowledge and let's start all over.

17. Tyler

Tyler Enthusiastic Member

the bishops annual appeal....

idc likes this.
  18. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

To those who don't understand why ASSEMbler / Kevin would rather shut the site down rather than give it away, there's a reason I think a lot are overlooking (assuming this isn't just some ploy).

Let's say he turns the keys over to a new owner. Business continues as usual and no one's the wiser. All of a sudden, the new owner completely drives the site into the ground or completely tarnishes the site's name in some way. Who is likely to get the blamed, deserved or not? Most likely, that person would be Kevin as he's the name longest associated with this site. It's not just Kevin's or the site's name, but it's all the personal / professional connections / relationships he's made over the years that also stand the risk of being affected. Not everyone would know Kevin has nothing to do with the site anymore just as a lot of people aren't even aware of the issues over the past year or two.

I get that he's already not leaving on particularly good terms with some people, so there's already a ding to the site / his reputation because of that, but it /could/ be worse. Personally, if I were in the same position, I'd close the site too.

As I've said earlier, the site itself is a just a name and a forum. Most of the content is backed up in some form (backup your PMs if they have contact information / other information you might need later!). I'd hope wherever we continue our discussions, and the inconvenience of taking 5 minutes to register there, wouldn't affect the quality of posts just because they aren't happening under the "ASSEMBLER" banner.

Diablodin and arnoldlayne like this.
  19. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

Well Fuck!

I'm gonna miss this place. So much excellent and unique information and a community of awesome people for the most part.

RE Assembler: Having been on here for quite a while and reading through this whole thread I gotta just throw in a vote for sell it. There's no reason to just hold on to it and let it all vanish. Just get some money to pay of the debt and a little extra for yourself and just move on. Normally I'm of the opinion of it's your site, do what you will, but a large, large portion of what made this site so great wasn't submitted, discovered, or created by you, but rather the users. They should have the opportunity to at least collect their contributions and migrate them elsewhere rather than have them destroyed. So please, if you don't want to continue to have anything to do with running and funding this forum, which is 100% your right, just sell it to one of the many fine folks who have offered to buy it at a fair price or transfer an archive of the data over to somebody who will preserve it rather than just flush everybody's contributions to the retro gaming community down the proverbial toilet. I absolutely support sale/transfer to @Bad_Ad84 . I know he'd do an excellent job and there's no shortage of web developers here (myself included) willing to help out. To sum it up, just do the right thing rather than wipe out our contributions to this hobby/community/lifestyle while fucking yourself over monetarily in the process.

Oh well, that's all I got to say about it here. Hope to see you all over at OG if it doesn't work out here. To those that don't hop over, goodbye and thanks for your contributions and enthusiasm that helped make our super niche corner of the gaming world that was retro gaming as big as it is today.

Edit: To address the previous post that came in before I finished writing, he could sell the rights to the site and content without the rights to the name, making the sale contingent upon the new owners rebranding.

Looney Bin Jim, karsten, wisi and 2 others like this.
  20. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

i keep thinking that they are a bit anal about links to SDK's and prototype builds that they don't allow them?