NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. earthphoenix

earthphoenix Active Member

sed news. i got so many nice stuff from here, and not ons single rip-off... thanks to kevin and all those sellers ;-) i will miss you...

2. dakangel

dakangel Member

Well obscure prototypes are not free
    Maybe he needs $2000+ to buy some really cool obscure stuff and creating pity was the only thing that could happen to earn funds.

Just as the akklaim archive

3. helakustorm

helakustorm Robust Member

I see that most of the users are saying that AG is Kevin legacy but most of the content here is from the users...
    As long as Kevin is the admin, he can use it like a tool to control all the users here.
    Nobody on this forum can do anything; he is the only that have the power.
    It's sad that AG have to go...

Blob and iriez like this.
  4. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Ex Mods tried their best to shake things, push for change, try to save things up through, features, innovation, community work.

Many were and I suppose are still interested in taking over the place. As it always ended, it's all in kev's hands, and he chooses himself, no matter what others say. We experienced it first hand and knew this would have been the outcome.

The place became more and more silent. Nothing was done to keep it going, or to embrace current days trends, reduce costs, create something new.

During the massive downtimes there were even discussions between mods and other users about creating a side forum to have people stay together while the main one and kevin would resurface. All is history now.

5. Glssd Slvr

Glssd Slvr Member

I won't add to the drama that I glanced on the first page (although I get the vibe), but I just wanna say that I'm sad to see this forum go.

Didn't post much, but most certainly it's been an unparalleled source of information and development.

Very sad about the owner's decision, that's all I'm gonna say.

6. Nano Babe

Nano Babe Robust Member

What is this???

7. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

dont do it man!

8. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

sad, I miss all :(

AUSTIN PEYTON and Shane Battye like this.
  9. gbaa

gbaa Member

Damn, I haven't been here in 3-4 years. I don't know of any of the drama going on here, but I'm still gonna miss the site. RIP.

10. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

11. JackalSpat

JackalSpat Active Member

Something smells fishy in Denmark.

12. abveost

abveost Robust Member

Well thanks for the heads up at least. Whether it's just an attempt to drum up donations or not it will have an effect. Whatever happens, thanks for the time you've kept it going. It's one of the few gaming sites I bother to visit any more.

I guess in hindsight you probably should have done this 24 months ago, when you maybe had a little good will left and realized you were running up a deficit with your overpriced hosting service. If three grand is an issue for you my advice would be to sell. As others have pointed out it's the community that matters and this site can and will be replaced if you shut it down. Or maybe even if you just threaten to. If you're going to walk away from it at least don't walk away out of pocket.

If anyone is interested in taking over or setting up an alternative I'm willing to help. I don't have a lot of time to deal with day to day operations but I have 25+ years experience as a CTO and and have set up countless severs for all kinds of applications. I should have no problem getting this migrated to a reasonably priced server or setting up a replacement.

13. weldedale

weldedale <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

guess i will have to find somewhere else to lurk on the internets then, I will really miss this place.

14. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

im sad:( but if this site goes offline forever, we must find another site to continue from here

15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

This.

How can you (ASSEMbler) complain about costs if you're not even willing to accept money? We used to have fundraisers, which were usually very successful. I wish I had donated to those more often, and I'm sorry about that. But for some reason you haven't done any fundraisers in quite a while. I agree with Durandal, it seems like you're doing this out of spite, or at least for some reason other than money. I doubt anyone will offer you any money if you just shut down the site and that's it. That's the one way for this to end where no one gets anything, and everyone loses.

I predict the response will be: silence.

I just thought of the perfect metaphor for this: Kevin, as Thanos, holding the infinity gauntlet and snapping ASSEMblergames out of existence. Or, to make it more videogame related, Kevin as Lan Di saying to ASSEMblergames "Get up, I'll allow you to die as a warrior" and then delivering the fatal attack to Iwao, I mean ASSEMblergames.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    AUSTIN PEYTON, LuizNai and Anthony817 like this.
  16. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

DeChief*

17. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

This.

Hopefully people will be willing to migrate to GameSX. Lawrence (admin) there is committed to running servers until cockroaches rule the earth (he told me himself).

18. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Thanks Assembler - for setting up and running this forum for over 20 years.

All good things must come to end at some point. Just sad to see it go like this... and surprised to see so much hate in this thread.

No, scrub that, I'm not surprised at all.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  19. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I've used this forum alot over the years and will be saddened to see it disappear. I have, like many other people, contributed to fundraisers in the past and I will do so now too.

However, with the current administration it would feel like throwing money away. With new leadership I would definitely donate money again and possibly even pay a monthly fee. Either a very small fee everyone pays, or a higher fee with some sort of "premium" features.

Durandal and Anthony817 like this.
  20. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Whatever the outcome is, it's been fun.
    I've got some good memories first discovering this place circa 2004/05 ish? Man been a long time.
    I've contributed to fundraisers in the past and would gladly do so again. (Even though I don't post often anymore). But clearly there seems to be some discourse to the contrary?
    (I can only try to imagine the total cost spent over the years on everything here.).

AUSTIN PEYTON and FromAllAspects like this.