NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I'm picturing it like manually creating threads and copying the data over sorta thing, one by one. If so that sounds like a massive task to take on.

Not sure who that's directed to but I've never bitched about shit, I've taken a passive approach to it all.

2. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

After everything you've done, do you really have the right to comment on any of this?

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

Shit..... Please listen, @ASSEMblergames_Admin -
    Many of us really want Assemblergames to live on, and we're willing to do what we can to find a solution and revitalize the community either here or somewhere new.
    Forget about the past, block out distractions and in the short time we have left, please give us the oppertunity to take the wheel or carry the information over to a new site. It'll all be gone in 30 days, so why not give someone a chance at least.
    There must be a kind of ad, fee or other option to keep the site's costs in check as well. We got 30 days, and we can make it happen if you let us.

To us members - Cool down. Focus ahead.
    Should we create a Facebook group as a temporary hideout so people can plan and so we don't lose contact?

dcsw2k7 and FromAllAspects like this.
  4. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Everything you're saying are great suggestions. I just don't know about Kevin. I think he's too far gone. In terms of groups, give ObscureGamers (obscuregamers.com) a try. They've already got some members on there, even the possibility to create group chats and everything on there. In terms of Facebook, that's another great source, Twitter as well (even though people call it the old person's social media. Hahaha). In terms of information on here, I'd suggest archiving it whether it's via storage media (USB, HDD, SSD), websites (Wayback Machine) or even other forums, any bit of help is a huge deal for us, especially since most members don't roam on here anymore and haven't for months, let alone, years.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

5. voultar

voultar Rapidly Rising Member

If you're paying $120/month for the web-hosting and an SSL cert, there's something seriously wrong..

SegaManAU, Blob, Mr. Rare and 15 others like this.
  6. FromAllAspects

Indeed there is.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

7. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

This has been brought up before, nobody has a fucking clue why he's paying that much...

karsten likes this.
  8. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

I don't know how far gone Kevin is, but One thing is for sure - If we want Kevin's help we need to look past the debacle. Being mad about something forever doesn't help us now. Just forgive and move on already. This is not pointed to anyone specific, but to us all.

Ok. ObscureGamers could work. But do they have the layout and relevant subforums we need?
    I've never gotten into Twitter, even though I've been meaning to, but I've always been missing an active Facebook group. Just somewhere easier to get in contact with someone for asking a question f.ex.
    And I wish I could help more, but atm I'm in the process of moving, so I have little time.

9. FromAllAspects

As I said in previous posts, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed. It was a bit of a shock. Who knows how far gone he is, but a lot of people attempted to provide help to him and he never got in touch with anyone. For now, ObscureGamers has only just been rebooted so they do have start from scratch, but the Administrator did say he is archiving some of it, totalling around 20GB so that's a start. Twitter is great, most members (myself included) are on there and share some interesting stuff. Let us know when you'll start a group chat via Facebook!

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Diablodin likes this.
  10. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

This site is Assembler's / Kevin's legacy - for all the good and whatever bad that entails. This is an opportunity to bookend one chapter in gaming and start another. It's the community we need to keep intact - not this website.

Plus, after 20+ years, these forums have collected quite a few cobwebs. For the 20+ page threads, who honestly goes back and reads through those? Nevermind the threads filled with broken hyperlinks / images, the threads with misleading and / or outright false information and the threads that haven't been looked at in about as many years as this forum has been around.

We have 30 days and the intelligent / informed member power to go through each of the forums and make notes of all the useful information that we can compile elsewhere.

I say let us remember this site fondly for what it's given and for what we've been able to contribute, but also, let us grow this community into something greater.

Blob, Voxel Studios, Vosse and 2 others like this.
  11. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

Yeah, I understand. There's most likely a reason, we just don't know what, and maybe it's not our biz. We just gotta let bygones be bygones and hope he helps us out.

So what happened to the old ObscureGamers? What are the chances it'll happen again?

I've played with the idea of showcasing some of my collection on Twitter so I have a reference to point to if I ever need to.
    I can hopefully join a Facebook chat tomorrow. Now it's almost 5am here and I haven't slept yet.
    But yeah, we gotta pray something happens here, and we need to get things moving elsewhere as well. :)

@Dreamcast true.

FromAllAspects likes this.
  12. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

Ditto, just name your price Kev! @Bad_Ad84 and I could even joint purchase. We've worked together for five years and counting, this would just add to the fun!

Maybe we could all meet at E3. Will you be there this year? Both @Bad_Ad84 and I will be there on business. Let us know!

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Blob and Shane Battye like this.
  13. Keiji Dragon

Keiji Dragon Enthusiastic Member

The beginning of the end...

There was some threads I was checking for at the Wayback Machine. Nothing came up for them. I hope this site can be preserved as well as the protos and info the forums are known for.

Blob, Spaceman and gwald like this.
  14. gwald

gwald Net Yaroze '99

Oh wow.. very sad news!
    Social media (twitter/FB) is toxic, forums are cool.. a real shame!
    Put it on the market, flippa or something.. really sad.

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Seriously Kevin @ASSEMblergames_Admin, please consider selling the site to @Bad_Ad84.

A passing of the torch is so much better than the death of the forum. This place is special, you built something greater than yourself, don't let it die like that. You'd regret it in the end.

Internet is full of trolls and unhealthy content. This place is an oasis of calm and respect in a desert where every grain of sand is a shitpost.

It deserves better.
    It deserves saving.

Blob, TerdFerguson, gwald and 7 others like this.
  16. FromAllAspects

There was a page on Obscure that explained it, I think it was by Damien (one of the two administrator), it said "For those wondering why OG originally closed, There was some issues with T2 against a former member here. It was deemed unsafe for me to remain in charge at the time so I passed it onto a new owner @Morphic who later decided to close it and pass the assets back to me.

There's no intention to reclose the site as we've added a no T2/R* content rule to protect users.

Our goals purely to keep the community alive and in contact with eachother."

It's a great idea to showcase your collection, even though I didn't on Twitter, I put it on here and there seems to be a lot of people that visit that area, but that's coming to an end. Maybe Obscure will bring this feature around? Hopefully something will happen on here, but I'm not holding my breath. You'll be somewhat glad the ball is rolling already for some of Assembler's legacy being transferred to OG.

If it doesn't get rescued, I would just like to say it's been a pleasure dealing with all of you. Even though I haven't been on here for as long as you guys, I felt like I was a part of a huge family, giving me a lot of advice, opportunities and just welcoming me into this forum. It's something I really do appreciate. Take care and I hope we can all visit somewhere down the track.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

17. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Spirited Member

Oof. That would take forever. Automated tools are the way to go.

If having a copy of the database isn't an option, the next step is using a tool to crawl the site. Something that basically gets a list of threads and goes through them one by one cleaving each reply out one by one. I'm sure there's generic crawlers out there that could be used as a base for making something more specific to this case. Scrapy, for example. Php even has built-in xml parsing functions which make building a crawler from scratch not that hard. Once you have the data, then it's a matter of exporting it, setting up a new site (ideally using xenforo), and importing the data in.

This is all a moot point if people don't end up switching over and start using any new cloned site. If there's not going to be new threads because people lose interest, then doing an archive is much easier and quicker to do. Httrack is my go-to for that.

18. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

Been a while since I've posted here. Life just caused me to drift away like many. Not sure about any recent drama and don't really care. Just wanted to thank Kevin and others like Yakumo, GaijinPunch, Johnny, ave, Hatter, retro and all the other old timers from before the beginning that I've missed. Thanks for all the long hours, great times, and obscure knowledge imparted upon me. Thank you all...

LeGIt, Blob, Syclopse and 2 others like this.
  19. Spaceman

Spaceman PSX Historian

It's been a wild ride fellas. Whatever happens, most of us will still be haunting various scenes and the same sort of places anyway.

Thank you to all of the mods and their oft-thankless efforts keeping this place as maintained as possible, and thank you to all of you here in AG and other places, the lifeblood, the community.

Thank you for coming together and sharing our collective time and knowledge, and sometimes achieving amazing things.

We'll meet again, hopefully in greener pastures.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Ive said this no end of times over the years. I just think it was easier to keep going as it was, rather than moving it to a new server.

Blob, Looney Bin Jim and karsten like this.