NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

So long Assembler, it was a good ride while it lasted.

TerdFerguson likes this.
  2. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

it was ok.
    now its gone.

neat!

Durandal and TerdFerguson like this.
  3. Ninten

Ninten Member

XboxTestKit and TerdFerguson like this.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Newly Registered

goodbye

TerdFerguson likes this.
  5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

This place has meant a lot of things to a lot of people.

For me, it opened a new world. I had already been shopping for Xbox development hardware, but information was incredibly hard to come by. Enter AssemblerGames, where information was shared. Sure, it wasn't always as open with information, nor were there plenty of moments where things could have gone even worse than they did (moments that most people have forgotten about), but it was here and open for business.

Through its ups and downs, we all have learned a lot, either about the obscure, about development, or about friendship. I've met a ton of great people, more so than any other community I've been part of. These friendships mean more than another prototype download or some other weird piece of hardware.

But it also led me to a career that takes things ones step above what I thought was possible, and something that I don't think was even imagined during this sites founding. It opened a world that would have not only been unavailable for me, but it barely existed. Through the ups and downs, the good and bad (of which we know there was plenty), lessons have been learned. As a whole, we are better of that this place existed.

To @ASSEMblergames_Admin, I'm sorry that this is how it ends. I am always available to talk, not just to you but to anyone. I don't want the work that you put in, Kevin, to be lost forever, do reach out when you are ready. What was created here was unique, and it's not something that I will ever forget.

Thank you.

6. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

It'll all be OK.
    Everything here was backed up.
    The community has already found new homes.

The community was always what made this place great.... people interested in the obscure side of gaming.
    The community still exists.

I'm sorry that whatever happened to Kevin had to happen... I hope you find help.
    But frankly, the community will move on without skipping much of a beat.

See ya 'round everyone! @ ObscureGamers, DCEmulation, etc.!

Taijigamer2, pool7, Durandal and 3 others like this.
  7. Kempy161

Kempy161 The Invisible Man

buh-bye dudes, onto greener pastures.

Stipo360 and TerdFerguson like this.
  8. Redfox1096

Redfox1096 Newly Registered

Even though I was just a lurker for over 10 years now (only made an account in 2012 and never posted anything), it's gonna be sad to see this site die.

cyrix, -=FamilyGuy=- and TerdFerguson like this.
  9. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

well if this is the last day or two, this forum was awesome, joined in 2015 and documented the goldsrc engine top to bottom as far as i could without source code or SH4ASM knowledge, pretty much proved we can play counter-strike on dreamcast with some WindowsCE OS hacks even though nobody gave it a real attempt. i spent many nights on IDA pro, searching through thousands of strings and looking through old quake\half-life tools, and even compiled extension .dll's for WCE SH4 even if it was an old version that steam HL1 refuses on x86. hopeless project from the start maybe, but it helped me find something to do while getting my life together after going through stuff for a few years prior, so this site is an integral part of the memory of that uphill journey i had outside of this site

hopefully i'll see you guys around wherever we end up migrating to on the net
    -Dan

Taijigamer2, Durandal, _XBOX_ and 2 others like this.
  10. pato

pato Resolute Member

I've been here for many years and never would tought that I would make it a bit far in this field (buying hardware and proto), this community grown up to be noticed by many, even by few veterans of the industry.

I'm glad for all those eight years that I've spent here, I wish I could have been more of help, but it made part of my life, from just looking around, to the point of seeing big stuff getting released as RE1.5 40%, Geist Force, Acclaim archive, and others.

Remember kids, this isn't a goodbye to the "obscure" gaming, but rather as a see ya later or around. The preservation community has grown each day, we aren't tied to one single source, but rather we saw the rise of new ones that helped it to shape into a bigger picture.

Today, we mourn the fall of one of the founding fathers of the gaming preservation community. Tomorrow, we continue to go on in our pastime, hobby, and even the work of our friends, because it must be kept alive and well.

11. Daytime Dreamer

Daytime Dreamer Spirited Member

It's been emotional. See you on OG.

12. pitsunami

pitsunami 3DO maniac

Its very sad to see this forum closed....been here for so many years and learned so much about
    dev stuff that i would have never dreamed of and met so many nice people ready to help....

I dont know what to say but thanks for everything,anything else will just not be the same to me...

LuizNai likes this.
  13. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

speaking of the dreamcast, i keep seeing DCEmulation mentioned but i've nothing posted there?

am i missing it? has it happened yet?

14. Nemesis

Nemesis Peppy Member

My first encounters with AssemblerGames were almost 20 years ago now. I'll be honest, back then, and for a good decade or so after, I never liked the feel of this community. It mostly seemed like a place hoarders could go to parade their collections in front of the worshipping masses. I was more involved in technical communities where open, free sharing of information and collaboration were the way things were done, and this site felt like the opposite of that. Things shifted over time though, as newer members came along who were more open and willing to share what they had with others. You also had an increasing number of members who had a technical interest in these systems rather than purely a collector's mentality, and a lot of great original research and information started originating from this community. It became more common for people to openly rip and share betas they acquired, or SDKs, tools, or other documents that they came across. It was at that point that I started participating.

23 years is an amazing run. Not many forums from that era are still around today. Although I never considered this community "home", it became a frequent check-in for me in recent years. On one hand it's sad to see it go, but I'd argue that the community that existed here in the last few years was strikingly different from what the site began as all those years ago. Ultimately the community shapes the site, and the community evolves as new members come in, and old members move on. To me, AssemblerGames died over a year ago, when no new members could join. That was the real end of the site, as the community could no longer evolve, this announcement just made it official. The community will live on, not exactly as it was before, but it would have changed anyway whether it had stayed on this site or not.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Taijigamer2, pato, wisi and 3 others like this.
  15. XboxTestKit

XboxTestKit Active Member

Good Bye Assembler. Hope you sell the site to someone else.

16. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

It's been real. :(

17. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

It’s been fun. But I’m over at Obscure forums, and on YouTube and twitter (VideoGameEsoterica) and Instagram @ chicagogamecollector, if anyone needs any 3DO or M2 help!

Taijigamer2, Mrneo240 and pool7 like this.
  18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Thanks everyone for the good times. Best of luck.

19. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Reddit: psyko_chewbacca
    Bitbucket: psyko_chewbacca
    ObscureGamers: psyko_chewbacca

Mrneo240 likes this.
  20. Aeonic Butterfly

Aeonic Butterfly Member

I'll be over on Obscure Gamers. It was nice seeing you all, and it's sad to see this place go.
    You can catch me under the same username there. Peace out, y'all.