NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. thepokemask

thepokemask Why have a virtual boy when you can have a potato?

It saddens me to see this happen to the forums but we have all known this has been coming for a long time now. The site being shut down is just pulling the plug on life support after a long long time of a constant battle to keep it alive and well. I really really hope someone either takes ownership of the site or does a mass archive to keep the information alive and well so it is not lost in the void of the internet forever.

2. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

I understand the reason someone would want to buy it so they don’t have to start over and grab members etc.

But as I said not like someone can’t just clone it and make a exact look alike only thing is getting members again.

Only issues is one legal issues
    Getting members and what not but if assembler can do it anyone can do it.

The issue I see is no1 wants to rebuild this from ground up even if the domain comes available as the work needed but how I see it is if you have the cash to buy this and maintain it why not clone it wait for the domain to crash and start it over with a full backup clone and name it assemblergames rip off the logo design everything at that point once everything goes down he owns shit.

3. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

I kinda doubt kevin would pass the torch to anyone. He stopped caring about the site a long time ago.

4. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

It has been an experience. I’ve made friends along the way. I hope to see you guys on another forum.

See you later space cowboys...

Bang

Blob, LuizNai, Looney Bin Jim and 4 others like this.
  5. saibot_20194

saibot_20194 Spirited Member

Nooo way, Don't do this man. :(

6. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

It's been a wild run, man.

Glad to have been a part of all this nonsense n' stuff. Cheers everyone.

Spaceman and Keiji Dragon like this.
  7. Sgabbit

Sgabbit Rising Member

I guess we've to migrate to Hidden Palace then.....

8. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

id love to be a mod or admin on the site if someone was to take over... i've been mods and admin's on different jeep groups over the past 10 years

FromAllAspects and Anthony817 like this.
  9. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Spirited Member

There's a lot of useful info around here that isn't anywhere else. This reminds me of how Xbox-scene went down. Tons of unique topics suddenly vanished. It was such a waste.

I have an amazon ec2 server idling on my account that I use for development work plus 8 years and counting of professional experience working with php/sql/server administration. I'd be willing to help, at least in some capacity if there's others who are thinking of splitting off into something else after this site goes down. I'm sure I'm not the only one with web dev experience here either. If anything happens, it would be better to start sooner rather than later. One thing I'm not sure about is the legality of it all. I know it's all basically user-owned content, but still.

nullChar, good and Anthony817 like this.
  10. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Can I have access to the 0th bit (and any other hidden subforums) so I can archive them?

Woofmute and Shane Battye like this.
  11. Kneesnap

Kneesnap Member

This is a disappointment. At the very least, we need some form of preservation.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  12. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

I remember the last post I made on here I had stated I wouldn't sign in until something changes for the better, not sure where the post is but I'm assuming the thread I posted it in has been archived/privated or is just harder to view publicly. Either way, first time signing back in here in a while.

Truly a shame to see this site go down from what it used to be. There are plenty of capable people in the community who would be interested in purchasing the site and taking it over, I really hope this site truly isn't going to go offline and be the end of it. Please put the site into another owner's hands and have them take over. Everything will still be public and accessible while you'll be done with it.

13. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Is there a contingency plan? We'll have to catch up somewhere. Personally, it's disappointing that such a site with such rich history and important information with great members is coming to an end. It came as a shock. What has happened? If anyone can do us a favour, can you please archive all the sites on the Wayback Machine?

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  14. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

This isn't right, and you know it. Why kill the site like this? Why not pass it on to somebody else who has the funds, and more importantly, the drive to keep the community alive and dare I say it, potentially grow it further? Do you hate us? Are you doing this out of spite? I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for in life, Kevin. And I hope you don't hurt anybody else like this again.

DeChief out.

Blob, Plavix, nullChar and 8 others like this.
  15. scf3

scf3 Newly Registered

Damn dude, this sucks to hear. Really hope someone takes the torch because I'd hate to see the site go. :(

16. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Well shit... I really did enjoy the conversations with like minded people. I do hope that there will be a place where we can continue. This is very sad..

Dude, that's not it at all. It's all the thousands of posts with all the information that has been dropped here over the years by the community. This place is a treasure trove of information about the rare and obscure gaming sector. You can't just copy that sorta thing into a new forum.

17. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

You sort of can though. People have backups that are about a year old, and realistically, nobody has posted anything important in the past year, honestly maybe even the past 2 years. It's safe to assume archive.org has the situation under control, too, because this isn't exactly their first AG rodeo.

Copying all of the data into a new forum is exactly what should be done.

18. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I did say can't, didn't I. I meant more like an immense task sorta thing. Would it not be? If it really isn't that big of a task then totally someone should

19. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Just letting everyone know, @element18592 has given a link to the rebooted ObscureGamers website. If anyone wants to take the time to give it a look, the next 30 days is an open window. I'm starting a new account through them, so if anyone wants to know what username I'll have, it'll be the same, FromAllAspects. Take care, everyone! (except for you, Kevin)

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    element18592 likes this.
  20. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

Of course it’s a task but so is accepting the torch either way it’s work the issue is if your willing to accept the torch and manage this site and put the time into it then you should be willing to clone it aswell time is time history is history.

If you care enough and know what is coming in the time it takes you to bitch about it for months on end you could of been making a clone.

Even more so when no new members are able to join and there isn’t much activity right there anyone willing to take over could of not only that but if so many people have experience and money sure a group effort could of been put in place to get the job done faster.