NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

This shitpost is so unorthodox it could recreate the Great Schism of 1054

Durandal and krHACKen like this.
  2. omegalfa

omegalfa www.theworldofcdi.com

See the place that helped so many people to understand better different subjects is sad...

This is the place where "Mario Takes America" on CD-i appeared...

All the best guys!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    _XBOX_ likes this.
  3. Sienar

Sienar Robust Member

Who will have the last post?

4. Tongara

Tongara A Clockwork Knight~

Wow, so he actually started grassing people up to companies, and now OG has a C&D? What a sad little fucker.

5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It sounds like it was written by a bot. Specifically, it sounds like an AI was given a bunch of text about game development and then told to randomly generate new text based on that.

Durandal likes this.
  6. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Indeed... one of the few here where I remembered his real name and not username. :)

LuizNai and crissybwoy like this.
  8. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

It's a shame it came to this, but at least it's been a nice slice of life!

9. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

good bye all, see you in some where ;)

10. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

As the dev/proto community grows and gains more attention, the more legal trouble it will face.
    I don't know, but legal issues might be what made running this site so expensive.
    Will OG be able stand up against the pressure?

11. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm an oldbie but not a consistent poster. Here's my rant :p

I'm not sad to see this place go since it already died awhile ago. I know we'll move on. The thing that concerns me though is what a new community means. The thing is we've been in sort of a rebirth of what prototypes even are the last couple of years, I feel personally. This is due to people like Frank Cifaldi and the VGHF, Hidden Palace and their relatively consistent releases as well as being a public encyclopedia of all prototypes ever released (and why more people aren't showing this the respect it deserves is beyond me..), Borman representing all us enthusiasts at the Strong, and just general preservation communities I'm aware of on discord like Gaming Alexandria.

These people have started reshifting the public conscious towards protos being something for preservation, whereas Assembler started mostly with the idea of collectors and their hoards. Any community that tries to offshoot itself from this one I fear is going to run the risk of trying to just be the new Assembler rather than anything that matters in this day and age. Prototypes really don't need another "private collectors only PMing each other and forum users wondering what sorta secrets are going on there" place. I'm sick of that shit. When I was younger the whole idea of community secrets and stuff was more romanticized, but the more preservation I see going on the less I care to visit sites like this anymore. Everyone holding onto their hoards for dear life until they croak are going to be in for a surprise when their one-of-a-kind pcb/disc/tape/panties-worn-by-dev-who-coded-a-game is suddenly preserved on the net because it turns out there's never only just one copy of anything out there, and that thought just puts me more at ease for taking a seatback and just seeing what gets released out there without needing to keep up with news of some mysterious anonymous guy that showed up to show off he owns something then disappears, never replies to PMs, etc.. Idolizing those people is a thing of the past now.

As for where we go from here, I just don't know about moving to ObscureGamers. I thought it died due to its own drama and it's now back? It's suffering the newbie symptom of wanting to do too much at once, the whole front page with all that text I guarantee you no one is reading and a Prototpia section that I can already see getting just as much action as the former Wiki section of this forum. I'll sign up eventually when I feel motivated, but I can't say I'm too thrilled considering how much drama and stuff had to happen even for something like Sonic X-treme to come out of this one. We don't need more ridiculous stuff like that just to be able to play a simple demo that's boring within 5min.

I'm bitter just thinking about how much time I wasted in the past thinking of the secrets that must be going on behind the scenes at this forum. I just want to see history treated with respect. As for Kevin.... all I'll say is I still do wonder what sort of stuff he had in his collection all these years and what is lost now due to him opting out of caring about video games anymore (or so he wants you to believe, anyway..). But putting anymore thought into that risks going back to the whole idolization mindset that i just straight up resent at this point, so I guess we'll just have to wait until he dies and his stuff gets bought in a sale of his storage units someday.

Hey, don't blame me if that sounds dark. This is the sort of lives people that have gotten to deep into this hobby set up for themselves.

geluda, Pikkon, Tongara and 2 others like this.
  12. Tongara

@Bramsworth To be fair, in the first month of OG we have already banded together and got a "Life is Strange" proto released, so I feel we are far away from the X-Treme nonsense of this forum, but I do get where you are coming from, and agree with a good majority of what you said.

Only time will tell~

13. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

14. pato

pato Resolute Member

It all returns to nothing, it just keeps
    Tumbling down, tumbling down

15. Tongara

Video representation of the final days of AG. ;_________;

notataco64 likes this.
  16. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

3 days left

Rixel and LuizNai like this.
  17. coal stepping

coal stepping Site Supporter 2014

18. Cyberghost

Cyberghost Peppy Member

Oh man im really sorry to see this site go. So many years lurking here, so much information.

Now i guess people are moving to OG so I will too. I hope it can become my go-to for obscure stuff like AG has been.

19. Gameboi64

Gameboi64 please find Gameboi64 somewhere else.

The last four years I've been around, those being the years on the site I've had, I've seen some things and met some people. While I'm not a historian on AG as I've only been around here for a little while, I will be disappointed to see it disappear. Granted, there is a lot of things between people, and with others that if you've been here, you would know what happened. My post here isn't about that. I did want to make one of the last messages on this thread, and therein one of the last posts on the site period, but I mostly just wanted to do it for no other reason than to be a master procrastinator and just because i wanted to have one of the final words. This thread has been nothing but drama and people trying to buy the site, to which those offers have been refused, but at this point, what can you do about it?

Other projects and places will be scattered across the internet for people to congregate. This used to be one of the largest congregations of them and it fizzled away due to a combination of things. Am I saddened? Slightly, but it's not a spectacularly hard blow, as I've found other ways to communicate with people I want to talk to. I've been here forever and I didn't want to get in the banfest where everyone was shitposting for no other reason than to shitpost. I'm not some spectacular genius. I'm not trying to be deep. What I'm giving is one of my last recollections for this site. It'd be nice for it to stay up, but life isn't fair. Life will never be fair and there's no way to force it to be. You'll have your AG archives. You'll have your AG derivatives/successors. You just won't have the original site anymore. Advertising for other sites though just makes those other sites sound desperate as well. That's not going to help your case, either. You'll attract some, but you're going to detract others that don't want to keep hearing about it. Don't say "Join here" over and over and over. Yes, we know that it's important to keep the cycle of archival and preservation going, but it's not helping your case for everyone to advertise like it's Black Friday.

Sounding deep like this makes me sound pompous. Enough of this. Go other places, as the game here is over.

LuizNai and bowser22 like this.
  20. bowser22

bowser22 .

Cheers all, it’s been great.

LuizNai likes this.