NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

I haven’t been around this site in a few months, let alone post actively in years. My most recent visits have been to see who I still remember from all those years ago, Yakumo, Hawanja, SegaFreak, and many others.

The old forum and museum were a staple of my younger years, it got me interested in not only the rare and obscure, but development and design. It’s amazing to think the site I first visited when I was barely a teen is still around in my thirties. It’s hard to recognize the forum now from what I remember, it’s grown and evolved into something much bigger, but so does everything in life.

Despite the drama over the years Kevin always kept the lights on, and gave us a place to come and share our passions, interest, and even our personal lives. I’m grateful for the digital home he gave us for all those years. For all the years of struggles and drama the site may have caused him, I’m glad he’s found happiness and is doing well. I would have done the same thing much sooner if it were me...

...I’ll be a bit sad when the URL routes to a placeholder, or nothing at all, but I’ll always have fond memories of the people and stories from here, so thank you Kevin for 15+ years, and thank you to all who made this place special for so long...

LeGIt, dcsw2k7, Diablodin and 3 others like this.
  2. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It's not too late.

3. Synnett

Synnett GC Controller Hoarder

Oh well, big shame. It's sad that I joined during the decline, I feel like I missed a lot of stuff.

4. kstyle25

kstyle25 Peppy Member

I stopped by for the same reasons. I haven’t been active in years but will miss stopping by to read. It’s been fun.

Dr_Slump likes this.
  5. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

This site offered me many years of learning about obscure hardware, insights into so many different tidbits of gaming knowledge, the first findings of prototype versions of some of my favorite games, and ability to connect with a huge community that shared, what at the time, was a niche interest, and I will always be thankful for that.

In this day and age, prototype discussion is at an all time high and video game preservation is booming, but having a single consolidated area to discuss a huge variety of these things is fleeting. Now it is all a bunch of disparate discord servers, rarely viewed old school forums, twitter individual user posts, etc. Here, it was easy to keep up and learn so much just from looking at the "New Posts" section, but now, you need to be in the know and follow a bunch of separate groups/individuals and to visit them and keep up is just tiring at times.

What this site offered was wonderful, and when it was in its heyday with a wealth of good knowledge and new findings being shared constantly it was intoxicating, but I think that type of thing is done being delivered in a simple 1-2 punch.

Thank you for all the good times and opportunity. RIP ASSEMbler.

6. LuckyToke

LuckyToke Robust Member

Not much of a poster, but certainly an avid lurker. I have learnt so much from this site over the years, from the obscure retail games and hardware that I had never seen before to the amazing world of development, proto's, beta's etc.. that was a whole new world of discovery for me.

Sad to see the place go, but happy to have been part of it!

Thanks for the memories!

7. TheGameCollectorPage

TheGameCollectorPage https://prnt.sc/i55kmf

What a shame. Bought some rare stuff from this place. Hope to see another community like assemblergames.

8. Nemesis

Nemesis Peppy Member

Thank you for the reply, and it's good to hear things are going well in your life. If everything you say is true, and it turns out that you don't end up selling or transferring the site to anyone else, I have a simple request:

When you take the site offline, please redirect the domain to www.obscuregamers.com until it expires.

This will cost you no time or money, but it'll serve the good of the community, allowing casual visitors to the site to keep in contact with the community and locate the backups that have been made. Do this one thing, and it'll show everyone that your well wishes are genuine, and will help continue and build up the community as we transition to a new home.

9. stuntpenguin

stuntpenguin Spirited Member

Still no response from Kevin. I totally understand what it's like to have an old passion fade away, so I won't be salty. I primarily want to obtain the site to retain old users who come and go, and maintain the existing threads which likely draw the right kinds of people to this forum.

Does ObscureGamers fill the hole in people's hearts? Used to talk to one of the old founders, but I guess he got bought out / pushed out? Who owns it now? What are their interests?

10. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Well there's community activity there which is...more the I can say about here right now.

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It's funny, that was supposed to be a joke, but now it just seems like reality. In this reality the "internet" has as much of an impact on us as people as anything else in the "real world".

Keiji Dragon and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  12. Rawit

Rawit Spirited Member

When I found the Assembler museum and forum with all that obscure hardware I was blown away. So much cool stuff, so much friendly & knowledgeable people. I read more about stuff here than I posted and in recent years my interests shifted more to PC DOS so I wasn't the most active member. When I checked back I was sad to see what was going on.

Thank you all for the good times and interesting posts! You can find me on ObscureGamers and Vogons with the same username.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  13. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Hehe fair point. I thought about it myself. Honestly though, the site seems to be working so far.

I've noticed when you're on the internet if is hard to understand people's tone when you're just reading text. That coupled with the overall negativity on this site can kind of leave you thinking everyone is negative, when that may not be the case. Personally, I'd recommend you give it a shot

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  14. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

With that mentality, let's just not work on keeping the community alive; once AG closes, we all go separate ways and never speak to someone else about videogame related stuff.
    Alternatively, let's start planning for all possible bad outcomes for a new site. </sarcasm>
    You don't sound much older than the average mental age you speak of...
    If OG gets the kind of drama we've seen here, I'm sure they'll either get rid of the offending users, or everyone will move on to other site(s). Welcome to the internet.

You do realize all the drama started due to the admin's behavior, right?
    Despite some inappropriate comments, most people remained polite, there were tons of suggestions to avoid the current status, but the admin simply stopped all communication.

I've seen only common insults, and not as many as I've seen in other threads before; but be my guest and work on your thesaurus project.

It sure would...

15. Consulli

Consulli Active Member

Not really that big of a deal tbh. Do what you gotta do. They're many others to go to if this one doesn't exist, I currently have over 25 gaming forums bookmarked. Not to mention all the Facebook groups and Discord servers one can join.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  16. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

I think the biggest difference is we have moderators/admins. At the very least, like you said, if there are some bad actors they can get removed. Assembler has been running with 0 mods for like a year.

17. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

RIP

It was great while we had it.

18. Joseph_Capelli

Joseph_Capelli Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Such a shame :-(

XboxTestKit likes this.
  19. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

It's obviously a sad moment to witness the death of a long standing website, but it's also understandable that passions and priorities change over time, no one should really hold it against you cause who can say what they should do in your position, really.
    I'ts good to know that your health troubles are behind you.

Thanks for making your ASSEMblergames museum website all those years ago, and transforming it into this amazing community where much knowledge was shared by yourself and its members.
    Thank you for the great pictures you shared long ago, like your carpet of PS2 TEST consoles and the only known pictures of the PS1 dev network interface, those are the ones I remember the best.
    Thanks for everything, and may the future give you as many enjoyable moments as the past did for us here.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  20. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

Dang, still coming here once a month to read and what a shock :(
    I will remember the first time I came on the assembler site, was still a student lurking the internet via the uni's computer and was looking for infos on old sega 8 bits systems when I discovered here the existence of the sega AI.

Diablodin and Traace like this.