NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

FUCK THAT LETS ALL DONATE!!!! But bring this forum back to life with mods ect!!!!

2. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

No. It needs to die.

3. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Somebody may need the forum to die, but that certainly is not the forum itself, nor most of the users, sadly. Though some seem to think that the people who contributed most to the valuable information and help given here should have no saying in what should happen to the forum. :( I guess this was bound to happen when people trust administrators like ASSembler. Let's hope that less people like him hold key roles in such communities in the future.

4. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

No it really doesn't.. and lose everything? Wow.

XboxTestKit, jamespoo and _XBOX_ like this.
  5. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Everything is backed up and will be hosted for reference.

6. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Plavix likes this.
  7. jamespoo

jamespoo Peppy Member

I will miss this site

_XBOX_ likes this.
  8. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

the data and people do not need to do anything except being awesome.

The roof they are hosted under needs to die, so that a new temple can be built and used.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

One thing I'm wondering about the backups that are being made; how up to date will they be? Will someone do backups up until the day the site closes, or will it stop sooner than that? Kevin posted this on May 29, so that means the forum will close on June 29. That means there are 19 days left to do more backups.

10. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It'll be sad to see this place go. But at least there was ample notice ahead of time. It could have just disappeared with no warning.

Taijigamer2, Muramasa, emuler and 7 others like this.
  11. emuler

emuler Rapidly Rising Member

This early morning, I woke up saying to my girlfriend: "I had this nightmare, Assemblegames forums was shut down".
    So I re-entered the site and the thread still exist... it wasn't a bad dream! Then I realized got not girlfriend neither.

MoonDog, FromAllAspects and _XBOX_ like this.
  12. Tongara

Tongara A Clockwork Knight~

Just asked, and while not everything will be backed up (some threads and posts are just spam), they will attempt to backup everything of value after the initial backups until the last day, for sure.

13. IntelMiner

IntelMiner Member

Tons of backup copies of the site are on Archive.org

ObscureGamers seems happy to host members migrating over

See y'all on the other side I guess

14. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

Hello everyone.

Lots of questions, so I'll provide some answers (as much as I am willing to answer).

First of all, I am healthy and happy! I live a good life, and do the best I can to be a righteous person. I do charity work,
    and I am active in environmental and literacy programs. I go for long walks on the beach, and I collect shark's teeth with my niece and
    nephew. I have a nice small garden I grow vegetables in, and a stray cat who lives in my barn. I pet the cat and have my coffee in the morning, and watch the sun rise over the ocean and the sand. It is a good life, and I am satisfied.

Video games have not been a part of my life for a very long time. I haven't been a collector for over ten years, and I haven't
    owned any consoles since I bought a Playstation 3. I never used the Playstation 3, it's still new in the box somewhere.
    That's 13 years ago.

In those 13 years, I have long since moved on physically and mentally from video games. I kept the community alive out of a sense of
    affection and friendship. I kept paying the bills; both for the server and legal issues, kept the software up to date, and made backups.

I have tried several timee to come to some kind of healthy working relationship with the people who use the site, to no end.

Unfortunately the site has devolved. Lots of people make an illicit business through the site, selling betas. It started to become a legal liability to my real life. Running a site that is about betas, beta trading, and other illegal / grey areas also causes issues with my work and job prospects.

The gulf between the site and myself is now too far to cross. That's all there is to it.

There's no maliciousness, no ego, no anger, no motive other than that it's over. It's gone on long enough, and sadly there's no one
    I trust to pass the site on to.

Question 1: Can you hand the site over to so and so?

A: I can't without exposing myself to all kinds of legal problems. There's a lot of sensitive user information, and it's easy to reset a user's password and see all their messages, pretend to be them, and to defraud people.

Question 2: Can you sell the site to so and so?

A: I have no issue with a sale transfer, as that would create a safe, legal transfer to another party. Anyone interested would need to
    pay all lawyer fees for the contract, hosting fees past 6/30/2019, and any fees for the transfer of domains. Please email waterfordbay@aol.com only if you are financially able to do this.

That's all there is to say really.

I'm glad the site was able to mean so much to people for so long. I wish it could go one forever, but I can't
    deliver that. I wish we could have made it to 25 years! I have nothing but fond feelings for you and the site.
    I'll miss you all too! But I can't carry this burden any further.

SiZiOUS, afsblood, Woofmute and 26 others like this.
  15. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

You have to do whatever keeps you sane.

Thanks.

good, Pinta77 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  16. Foas

Foas Prototype Enthusiast

Hello everyone.

I am healthy and happy! I live a good life, and do the best I can to be a righteous person. I do charity work, and I am active in environmental and literacy programs. I go for long walks on the beach, and I collect shark's teeth with my niece and nephew. I have a nice small garden I grow vegetables in, and a stray cat who lives in my barn. I pet the cat and have my coffee in the morning, and watch the sun rise over the ocean and the sand. It is a good life, and I am satisfied.

Please swipe right if you're interested, Thanks!

thepokemask, AntDRAG, Pazzard and 3 others like this.
  17. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

You say video games haven't been a part of your life for a long time, but several people commented in the recent past about the heavy hours you put into Steam (in relation to neglecting responsibility, among other contexts)?

Pinta77 likes this.
  18. Tongara

bowser22 likes this.
  19. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

We all do things out of habit without really ever realizing that we are actually done. Self-reflection is an important skill to have. Ive limped along plenty of interests thinking it was still, well, interesting, without realizing that my mind had checked out months or years before. Sunken costs and all that.

Diablodin, Arcadia and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  20. Tongara

I think that is one thing, for sure, and then it's another to lie about not collecting over the last 10+ years, despite evidence showing otherwise. It is what it is, I guess.