NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

You dont need to keep mentioning me my dude.

good likes this.
  2. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Yeah, sorry about that. I won't bother you if it's becoming annoying.

3. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i don't have much to say as everything has pretty much been said , but i am going to sign up with ObscureGamers. I urge others to do the same , this isn't the end we can all meet up there and continue helping each other etc.....

https://www.obscuregamers.com/

HugoPeters likes this.
  4. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

GameSX is a really great forum for devs and technical stuff. Theyve been around forever, hope to see some of you there (I'll be there offering lots of free repair advice, guides, and such).

5. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Okay lurkers. If you own prototypes never previously revealed to the Internet, now is the time.

6. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

It's funny how the site closing has brought in some PM's. I haven't been on here in a while. It's good to see the community is still going, but for me, forums aside, the best days of ASSEMbler where when I stumbled across his roarVGM site back in 2003, showing all of this weird and wonderful hardware that either wasn't released in my region, or wasn't released at all.

For those that are interested in the unusual, the original site is still available here: http://web.archive.org/web/20031222061140/http://assembler.roarvgm.com/

7. Mr. Sound-About

Mr. Sound-About Never let dreams die!

I've seen a lot of forums come & go.
    I used to read & post here often.
    Not so much in recent years.
    But I appreciated that the forum still existed.

Well, c'est la vie. Peace out, y'all.

BetaGuy64 likes this.
  8. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

Oh wow, this brings back memories. I always loved the old version of the site more

Syclopse likes this.
  9. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

:'-(

Anthony817 and _XBOX_ like this.
  10. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

I miss the Sonic banner.

11. samson7point1

samson7point1 Spirited Member

All things pass away.

Seeing this has made me reminisce about the first time I stumbled across assembler games - it was in trying to find info on the FM Towns PC I had been obsessing over since I was a kid and read about it in EGM. This was the only place that had any decent information in English. Back then the community seemed vibrant and active, then there was that span where it went down - I don't recall how long it was gone but it felt like nearly a year, and it seemed like by the time it came back everyone had moved on.

I loved this site but I suppose it speaks volumes that I had to hear it was closing from a FB group rather than reading it here. Honestly I'd rather see it fade out with its dignity intact rather than see someone try to take it over and spend the next 5 years pan-handling to try to keep the lights on. You'll be missed Assembler.

BetaGuy64 likes this.
  12. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

I am here since 2005 and it was always a cool place.
    What I really do not understand is, why you let it die this way and why you let it die at all?!?
    There is really no reason for this. There is no place like this again!
    Here are tons of information about very unusual stuff and you really should not close it.
    People like me are checking the forum almost daily for new or even information.
    I also check older pages. I really do not use the wayback machine.

I fully understand that from time to time it is needed to move on and let some things behind.
    Everybody has his own life, problems and all that stuff.
    In the case of this AG forum, I think what you are about to do is absolutely wrong.
    I am watching all this since a few years and it just makes no sense.
    Also that huge bill now makes no sense because that could have been covered long ago.
    $120 x 24 months = That is the wasted time were you was not here basicially.
    120 USD per month is a joke with a big userbase. You could have collected that quite easy but you did not.
    Sorry, but that is/was irresponsible.

There are people who would be able to continue the forum. These people also have the needed skills AND they are longterm members you should have contact with in the past. I am even sure that those people would run the site with great success in a way you would like it.
    If you are not sure, just give it a try. With that you have nothing to loose but when AG is offline,
    WE, You and everybody else have lost a important place. You have build here something great.
    23 Years (minus 3 wasted years here)

KEVIN, PLEASE KEEP THIS PLACE OPEN AND MAKE IT ACCESSIBLE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS! THANKS!
    Otherwise drop me a PM and I take it over myself damn it!

Durandal and wisi like this.
  13. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

Double Post

14. hiroki

hiroki Active Member

It's a shame that the site is closing.
    I wasn't much of an active member but I visited the site everyday. Loved just looking through random older postings.

Good luck for the future Kevin.

XboxTestKit likes this.
  15. fuqi

fuqi Member

if you can't continue "like this", why not let it do someone else who is able to.

stayhye and Durandal like this.
  16. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

Hey Kevin,

I'd offer money, but other people have, so I'll offer some help instead. You could migrate the forum to a Linode (https://www.linode.com/pricing) that costs $5-$10/mo. You can get a free SSL cert here https://letsencrypt.org or a free Cloudflare account https://www.cloudflare.com that includes SSL for free. And you get free CDN + ddos protection to boot.

Servers and hosting in general have drastically improved in capacity and went down in price massively over the past decade, because of Moore's law, AWS and the availability of high quality VPS services (DigitalOcean, Linode), while the site's needs have pretty much stayed the same. A small forum is nothing to an AWS instance these days. And the days of paid SSL certs are over thanks to LetsEncrypt.

All those things I listed are legit and used by many businesses and startups.

I'll happily help to set those things up, and maintain them for you free of charge, forever.

ehw, stayhye, f2bnp and 8 others like this.
  17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Unfortunately people have offered all this before. Hes been told hes getting ripped off. Nothing has changed, its been the same for years.

18. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

As hes neither answering pms, Ill say goodbye now as well.

Simply loved this place. It was unique.

XboxTestKit likes this.
  19. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

20. ultramecha

ultramecha Rising Member

There's no use in trying to offer to keep this site open. Clearly the owner doesn't care and doesn't want to keep it open. I just hope the same passionate people either start a new forum soon or merge into the other many great communities out there. With all due respect let this place die...