NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. Pazzard

Pazzard Active Member

Sad but true.

2. Pazzard

Pazzard Active Member

SSL certs are free, but the point is Kev has been bullshitting for ages about how much this place costs to host. It really doesn't have that much bandwidth and also it's not 2002 anymore.

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

4. Looney Bin Jim

Looney Bin Jim Spirited Member

Good to hear from ya Borman!

5. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Reading through this thread has been such a bummer. Hopefully Kev will see the heart of the community... I hope he didn’t just click “post” and walk away...

I have made a lot of great friendships and memories with this community over the years. It will be sad to see it go.

FromAllAspects, Tchoin and Diablodin like this.
  6. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Well, the forum is dead anyway. It's a matter of holding on to the past for a lot of people I imagine but to be realistic Kevin is clearly done with it anyway, so might as well let this ship sink and let him move on to, whatever, and the community can move on to somewhere that actually gives a crap. To be honest I'm actually glad I wasn't around when it turned to shit, because of circumstances I couldn't be here but when I came back I was pretty shocked at the state of the place. Best let it die.

It's been nice knowing people, those who I got to know, also nice to do business with those I did business with. That's one of the biggest losses I think, the marketplace, it's been an invaluable service to a lot of people. I'll probably PM some people over the coming days, I'll keep an eye on the contacts thread as there is surely more deals I'd like to do with people. But I guess this is goodbye people, I'll leave a point of contact incase anyone wants to get in touch with me for whatever reason, I'll probably just migrate to other forums.

Adios people.

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The more the merrier.

Diablodin likes this.
  8. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

Thanks, man.
    Since you seem to have some overview of the situation - are the most of us are moving over to OG?
    And are we who move there supposed to take a picture of our account and be tagged as refugees? What's that about?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

You don't need a picture for the most part. It's only mainly lurkers that the staff wouldn't recognise.

Looney Bin Jim and Diablodin like this.
  10. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Most are trying OG as an alternative. The Dreamcast community is also regrouping to DC-Emulation, where some subforums will have relaxed rules for dev stuff in the near future.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  11. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

Yeah...but...where will I get my A'can fix now?

12. fusion

fusion Peppy Member

The last 48 hours have been wild. My first inial offer was $500 to buy the site. I was willing to go to $2000 after talking to "the wife" (married people will know what I mean ;) ) After seeing what OG is turning into, at this point, it's best to just let this site die off and let something new grow. You can blame Kev all you want, but people have limits and he was pushed to his. It's best to respect that. Something that you built up for over a decade and being pushed over the limit over and over, it'd be damn mental exhausting to hand that over.

Let this site go, and support the new guys. Let new things grow. But please, back off Kevin. This isn't 100% his fault. PEOPLE. HAVE. LIMITS. Respect that.

edit:
    PS:
    If you think this is easy for Kevin to close, you really need to do some soul searching.

Anthony817 likes this.
  13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Did you actually get a response from him?

As im certainly willing to pay more than both of those figures.

14. fusion

fusion Peppy Member

No. But what if you did buy it? Then what? Everyone already has backups of this site and this site has become stale. We need some new energy in the community anyway. At this point, if you bought the site, the best thing you could do is redirect it to OG. This site has no "value" with the exception of the domain name and all the information it has indexed by Google. I'm not looking to make a profit from it by no means, but honestly, after a lot of thinking, it's best to let a new community come up and breathe some new energy into the scene.

You could "make money' from this site if you brought some new content and did some advertising, which would subsidize the cost of hosting and get your money back. But, I think it's best for the community to move on.

** IN A NON-COMBATIVE TONE **
    If I am missing something, please let me know. I'm willing to get more money and even go in with you, but I just don't see it being worth it. I see it best if we just move on.

15. Pazzard

Pazzard Active Member

What is your point?

16. geluda

I mean, if the balance is -$2500 all an offer of $2500 will do is pay off the debt and that's before you actually continue the server costs your self. As I aluded to before, this site is a sinking ship, changing captains doesn't stop it from sinking. Take that money and put it to something new where you can start a new legacy instead of picking up the broken pieces of this site.

Just my opinion.

fusion likes this.
  17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I doubt its negative. No hosting company is offering you credit. You pay upfront or monthly.

Getting a new site running is very hard. I've been through it a few times on both sides of the fence. there are people that probably don't even know about this place closing that don't log in very often. If they dont log in before it goes dark - they wont know where everyone is gone.

Getting a new site going is very chicken and egg. People register and dont post, because no one else is posting. If there no posts, people dont bother registering etc.

Hopefully OG can ride the wave and get over the hump.

The cost of running this site wouldnt even register, its purely for the lack of disruption to the community - especially the ones that have been here the longest and dont log in that often and will get lost. The people that are here all the time isnt the issue - they know whats going on and where everyone is going.

The only reason this place has been sinking would be resolved with a change of ownership. Theres no point throwing away 23 years worth of work if it can be avoided.

Besides, its my money - I can waste it if I want ;-)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  18. geluda

For sure haha. Not going to discourage anyone from pursuing it, just my thoughts. While I hope you get the response you want, I just hope that people actually come back in the first place to make it worth it. It just seems on the boarder of, as much work to fix and bring people back (Vs) start something new and get people's attention.

But, guys such as your self know this business much better than I do, and certainly put more work into this place than I have to keep ahold of it.

19. fusion

fusion Peppy Member

I get it, I really do. I'd be willing to waste some with you. I don't think a change in ownership will save it, it's been stale for two years. There has been a lot of good times at the place, but I think it's best if I focus my time/energy into something new. I think OG has the potential to do that. They have to. If we offered Kevin $10K, I don't think he'd take it. It isn't about money to him, even if he says it is. That goes back to what I was saying. He has built this site up over 20 years and to hand that off would be even more depression. He was obviously emotionally attached to this site, as anyone would be.

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I can see what you are saying. Its why I am also actively working with Demon too.

Never put all your eggs in one basket and all that. Always have a plan A and plan B.

Site has been stale for over a year. Mostly because accounts are set to manual approval and no new members can join. Ive had so many emails asking me to get peoples accounts verified via my contact me form.