NOTICE This forum to close in 30 days

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, May 29, 2019.

1. Foas

Foas Prototype Enthusiast

Especially nowadays that we have sites like HiddenPalace etc, we can just link to them instead of posting downloads directly on the site.

Looney Bin Jim and AntDRAG like this.
  2. SwedishSonna

SwedishSonna Member

What else am I gonna read whilst I'm at work? Already completed Wikipedia.

3. zanardi

zanardi Newly Registered

So what do you think is the real reason here, the high maintenance costs is a cover-up.

good and Pinta77 like this.
  4. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, remember back in March 2018?
    You're clearly more stable and mature than Kevin ever was. It's obvious OG will flourish with you at the helm. I'm so, so sorry that I won't be a part of your glorious future.

5. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Real reason is he doesn't give a fuck anymore

6. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Spirited Member

Is obscuregamers.com brand new or something? Only a hundred members and each forum category is pretty bare.

7. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

Literally 2 days old at this point. It's grown pretty well considering

LuizNai, Shane Battye and XboxTestKit like this.
  8. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Can you help close my account?

9. Jackhammer

Jackhammer Peppy Member

I never posted much, but I did read and learn a lot from here. Sad to see it go.

10. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ah, well if that is all that it was over, then my apologies for overreacting. I was literally going by word of mouth and didn't do my due diligence researching and reading the rules. I will be registered as soon as new accounts can be created again. Thanks for clearing up any confusion!

11. corrigo

corrigo Active Member

That's pretty sad... I didn't post that much but i wanted to say that place was a true Ali Baba cave concerning unreleased games, prototypes and documentations.

Thanks for everything.

12. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

We former mods (me, yakumo, retro etc etc) did all in our powers, up to going on strike, in a vain effort for calling for the attention this place needed to avoid ending like this. I know the thread was deleted, but, really people have no memories of what we went through?

The silence, the downtime, the disappearing for months without a word leaving all in mods hands, but without powers to fix issues, the many promises or changes and features...

13. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Well said, Assembler without Kevin wouldn't be the same site.

Just out of curiosity, why would he sell this site to a load of people who did nothing more than stab him in the back when they didn't get their way? It was pointed out at the time that the 'mods on strike' thread was totally unnecessary and should have stayed private (or at the very least in the 0th bit part of the forum) But no, they all broke such a simple rule (moderators, no less) and decided to make their demands 'very' public.

You all asked him to do things he wasn't going to do - or let me rephrase that - if many of you had been over the years (and some of you have) you would have known you can't just tell the guy you want x,y, and z. He did things in his own time or never did them at all. Many of you knew this. If you were unhappy, you could have just left quietly instead of some long thread which just ripped him apart. (and it's still going on in this 'farewell' thread... which is just sickening)

It won't be Assembler who killed this site - it was the small part of the community here who hurled insult after insult at him that sank this ship. If there had been no 'public mod mutiny' or pathetic attempts to wrestle the site from his hands then this wouldn't be happening.

And it gets worse - the new replacements won't last long. Forums are a dying art. Everyone's on social media and scattered here there and everywhere. The reason this place is still here is because it has built up a loyal fan-base over 23 years. You can't replicate that in this day and age - which makes what certain people did around here all the more depressing and damaging.

I hope you're happy with yourselves.

I guess this is my last post.

Peace Assembler, and thanks again for steering this wonderful ship for 23 years. Whatever happens next, I hope things work out well for you in this life.

Blob, BetaGuy64 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  14. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

You have a really distorted memory of how things went on in those time; here in public and behind closed doors.

We ex mods must have been amazing assholes to have all chosen together to quit at the same time for no reason uh?

rey1178, f2bnp, LuizNai and 5 others like this.
  15. LuigiBlood

LuigiBlood SNES and 64DD Savior

Absolutely, the site would be massively better.

I think you don't know what happened. This guy literally left his forum in limbo, and usually, a good forum has an active admin (not necessarily 100% active, but at least available) to handle cases that mods can't. When you don't: The forum is in deep shit.

Also $120 a month for a site I'm sorry but that's one of the most BS thing I've ever heard. Maybe it was like that back in the day but today that's just not a thing anymore. He's a total crook, a liar, and a scammer.

16. idc

idc Spirited Member

Glad I'm not the only one who's observed this.

Not to mention the whole PM-reading fiasco.

Or the period when "sales fees" were a thing for certain items, so he could get a cut.

Or the selling of "mystery boxes" of Xbox "dev gear" which turn out to be just video leads and an old version of an XDK restore disk; not bad as such but certainly not worth the money he took for them.

Or the endless donation drive after donation drive to "support the running of the site", where he was (and apparently still is) either seriously paying for way more service than the site needed, or he was making some money. Making money is not an issue as such, but it's a problem if it's done deceptively, especially if he's expecting money to still roll in while essentially does nothing to run the site and take care of its community. Instead, he left it to a team of mods who understandably became fed up with his shit.

That's just the stuff I'm familiar with. There was no doubt more besides, and certainly more going on behind the scenes between Kevin and the mods.

17. fusion

fusion Peppy Member

edit. I misread the numbers. $2000/y to run this site is insane. You can do it for $500-$1000 easily on AWS.

I am willing to put up $500 to buy this site if we need more, others can pitch in. If you don't sell the site, at least let it redirect to https://www.obscuregamers.com

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  18. vanadium

vanadium Robust Member

Someone should clue in the Internet Archive on Twitter to save what they can given the importance of this place in the annals of game and console collecting and repair. I realize a number of the forums are behind registration, but at least it’s something and that’s better than nothing.

It’s just not the same in the social media groups I’m a part of.

Seriously, a lot of the esoteric console issues and information I search for, I only find answers for here. This is a catastrophic loss for the community, IMO, and hope that despite how it seems, that it finds new ownership with the existing community.

chippy2000 likes this.
  19. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Archive.org has made multiple passes, whatever is public and not hidden too deeply will be backed up.

finalkillcams likes this.
  20. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Be civil.

I'd rather this place die honestly.
    The site belongs to who it belongs to. And he can do what they want with it. Kevin owes you and everyone else nothing. This isn't a business. There are no obligations. Given the history with the site, no one has made anyone wait until now to see the writing on the wall and not realize until the last moment that people need to move on somewhere else.

People with the relevant information to anything useful will find ways to put the information elsewhere with time. (Which a lot has spread over the internet already over the years.)

Tchoin, Arcadia and crissybwoy like this.