There now exists a Wii U Emulator

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Oct 13, 2015.

1. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

Since WiiU is already pirated with Loadiine i dont think the emulation (nothing playable and totally developer dependant since its not open source) have much to say.

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I didn't think my tiny, three sentence comment would incite such the spirited discussion ;)

I won't bring this thread to "Quote Oblivion," but I see everyone's points. Once again, I'm definitely not nay-saying the Wii U. I do think my comment has some merit. While it's certainly not the same situation, piracy on the DC certainly didn't help the console. What I'm saying is a possible emulator will probably not sway customers to purchase a Wii U. Although as has been said, the majority of potential owners already own the system.

3. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

Yeah, Wooly World is good, and is easily better than Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island DS (which I would say is the worst YI game), and Yoshi's New Island (which I found OK, if not uninspired, but the boss fights were terrible).

The only disappointing aspect of Wooly World to me so far (and I'm only halfway through) is that the "yarn" aspect is almost entirely cosmetic. What I mean by that is, with Epic Yarn the "fabric" was cosmetic as well, but the levels/gameplay was designed around the concept to the point where you felt like you were dealing with fabric throughout the levels, even to the point where the fabric design became part of the actual gameplay in clever ways.

Yoshi's Wooly World does not seem to do this. It is a Yoshi's Island game that happens to have the Epic Yarn aesthetic. That said, it's a good Yoshi's Island game so far, though the boss fights are starting to feel a bit one trick pony-ish (which, it is amazing to me that four games later no one has figured out how to build on what I always felt was Yoshi's Island's strongest point: fantastic boss fights. If Treasure wasn't a shell of their former selves I would actually wish for them to make a YI game).

4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Wooly world makes it all very VERY tempting.

There's also the whole "I never had a Wii" thing that also makes getting a Wii U tempting.....But then Nintendo goes and does something stupid and I lose interest repeat cycle.

5. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

The only big problem with Wii emulation on the Wii U is that GC controllers won't work. Even with the adapter. And a lot of games made use of them for traditional play. Though if you're into the Classic Controller that plugs into the Wiimote, have a blast.

6. GodofHardcore

I should probably just get a really cheap Wii then and soft mod the shit out of it then?

7. jp.

With the NX on the horizon, I suspect Star Fox Zero and Xenoblade Chronicles X will round out the Wii U's library. If the NX is coming as soon as people are saying it is, I would imagine the new Zelda will launch on there.

If Iwata was alive, I wouldn't be so sure on all of that. But the new guy hated the Wii U from the get-go, so I'm sure he's itching to pull a Bernie Stolar on the Wii U.

8. GodofHardcore

The Wii U line up while small might have the best good to crap ratio of any system. But there aren't that many games for it.

9. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

The Neo Geo has probably the best ratio of any system, although there is some crap for it (Soccer Brawl, Legend of Success Joe etc.)

10. jp.

Yeah, as far as mainstream consoles (e.g. Systems where the games don't cost hundreds upon release) I'd say Dreamcast.

11. Punch

Punch RIP AsssemblerGames, never forget.

Can't they just emulate the XBOX360 and Kinect so I can play steel batallion without shitty controls already.

12. GodofHardcore

Even Legend of Success Joe is semi playable.

A lot of Dreamcast games aren't aging well. What sucks REALLY SUCKS but what's great is REALLY GREAT. There's very little middle ground on Dreamcast.

americandad and M. Bison like this.
  13. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

In the US definitely. I have no idea about the other 500 or so games that never made it out of Japan (a lot of them are like visual novels I hear, which for someone who doesn't know Japanese would be silly to import).

A) No, that's not possible, the game is too janked for that, B) you can use a Kinect on Windows, I think they released an official driver.

I mean, isn't that how all the games age? Bad PS2 games didn't get any better, but good PS2 games are still good. The Dreamcast did have a lot of middling titles (there were over 250 released), but you don't remember them because they're not memorable. A lot of great DC games aged well because they had an actual art style instead of "MAKE IT AS REALISTIC AS 200MHZ CAN DO!", which will always age poorly. Always. The original COD games (set in WWII) look like butt. Battlefield 1942? Butt. Even Twilight Princess on the GC nowadays doesn't look as good as Wind Waker does on the same console, despite coming out a couple years later.

14. Nubcake

Nubcake Member

i think DC's demise had more to do with the fact that nobody knew about it and the controller was built for Shaq's hands.

yeah. only problem is you have to use component cables. (or composite if you hate yourself) but the wii is great if you can get one with GC controller slots. virtual console has more selection than Wii U, etc...

15. jp.

I don't know, I suppose that depends on who you're asking. NFL2K1 is the only football game I play, and I still play on a (at least) weekly basis.

Given that most of the DC games were quirky arcade style titles, I think a lot of its library holds up. And even the wonky stuff (Blue Stinger, Carrier, Illbleed) are still fun to go back and check out.

16. GodofHardcore

D2 hasn't gotten better with age. That's just off the top of my head though.

17. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I haven't gotten better with age either. It's not just the video games are victim here.

sonicsean89 likes this.
  18. GodofHardcore

And I'm older than you are what does that say about me?

Actually go back a few years, You'll noticed I've mellowed.

19. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

I was going to say "now now children", but it wouldn't work in this situation lol.

On topic. I'll be testing this emulator out tonight if all things go according to plan. I'll let you know how it goes.

20. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Both PS2 and Xbox support dual layer DVDs. How else could they play DVD movies? However the GameCube did not utilize dual layer discs which left it with storage capacity closer to the DreamCast. Though it should be mentioned that few PS2 games actually used dual layer discs.

I wouldn't say the PS2 had a "better" GPU so simplistically. The DreamCast graphics hardware actually had features the PS2 lacked. One of which I recall is hardware texture compression. So you could fit far more textures into VRAM on the DreamCast than on the PS2, plus the PS2 only had 4MB of VRAM where as the DreamCast had 8MB, if I'm recalling correctly. I think there also was something about rendering on the DreamCast versus the PS2 that while the PS2 could render more polygons than the DreamCast (in the same time frame) that the DreamCast could save some time by not wasting it drawing things you cannot see. There's a term for it that I can't think of. The PS2 did have more memory total which certainly helps. So I'm sure games would try to make up for the lack of VRAM with transfers from System RAM to VRAM.

The Wii-U isn't going to be hurt by this emulator unless it contributes in some way to developing piracy on actual consoles. There are some people that played Wii games and such on emulators but I really doubt this hurts systems commercially. What hurts is piracy. Not the kind of people toying around with poor emulators or ones that require expensive fast computers to run well. The kind that enables the average person to play copies on a real system. One exception from the past that I remember was the NeoGeo. It actually was affected by piracy via emulation since there were excellent emulators for the system while they were still pumping out titles.