The worst thing you ever used money on (Gaming wise)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Madsmaten, Feb 4, 2017.

1. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I got it for $10 at Target on the PS4, but the PS3/Vita cross buy doesn't make me feel bad about it.

2. snails1221

snails1221 Stuck in the early 2000s

destiny leg edtion

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I bought a neo geo mahjong controller. Nuff said.

supersega likes this.
  4. Ryudo

Ryudo SEGA!

I forgot Mighty No 9 as well. 100 bucks on KS never got my rewards. Decided to get the physical game on Wii U and the game sucks badly. Everything was a mess and I will NEVER support Comcept ever again in anything.

5. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

The worst thing I used money on that was related to gaming (in that I used my PC for gaming and still do) was the time I bought a 300MHz Cyrix CPU as an upgrade to replace a Pentium 166 MMX chip. That thing was a piece of junk. The fact that I used the heatsink and fan from the Pentium 166 MMX instead of buying the right heatsink/fan for the Cyrix part probably didn't help. When the Cyrix part died on me, I bought a Pentium III 800 and have only had Intel CPUs ever since (all with the heatsink/fan/cooling solution that came with the CPU and all with appropriate thermal compound)

6. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Elder Scrolls online

But I'm still kinda glad I bought it because it's going to be one of those "famous because it flopped" items

Fuel likes this.
  7. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

I was really disappointed with my purchase of the first Diablo. I remember playing the hell out of the demo (which at 50 megs on a 33k modem took forever to download) and taking the plunge on the full game soon after. The $50 price tag at 14 years old was a big deal, but I was sure I would love it. What I ended up with was a game rampant with cheaters and with what I felt was very little additional content on top of the demo. Being able to go down further levels wasn't really a big deal when they weren't any different than the previous ones. It was also impossible to find a room with people that didn't cheat, didn't want to have cybersex and had a consistent connection. Should have just stayed on the demo.

8. Fuel

Fuel Rapidly Rising Member

Purchased No Man's Sky Collectors Edition. Luckily, Amazon let me return it for a full refund.

9. rso

rso °

I hope you mean "preordered", not "bought after release when there were already reviews available"?

(edit: Actually, scratch that, I do not hope anyone preorders anthing. It's a shitty practice.)

10. Fuel

Fuel Rapidly Rising Member

Sorry, yes, I preordered and was excited for it up to the point of realizing I messed up.

11. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

It's the only reason I'll be able to get a Switch and Legend of Zelda: BotW Master Edition come March 3rd...

snails1221 likes this.
  12. Domspun

Domspun Robust Member

All my Battlefield Pre-orders!! In fact, I regret buying all Battlefields after BF2.

13. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

That's simple:

PS Vita.

It's not just the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on something gaming related, it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on anything. Period.

14. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

I half agree. While its a huge disappointment in terms of good Vita games I like it for the few good games and older games you can install and play on the go. But it was definitely way overpriced.
    Edit: I feel like they could have released a lot of good games for it but it seems like sony just let the Vita die.

15. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

Oh man, I remember we found that for $20 shortly after release and I had my mom buy it for me! Was quite the distinctive title out there because it was the only $20 game when every single other game was $50.

I remember reading a review in which the reviewer claimed we won a match simply by slapping the controller against his butt.

16. Falco_Lombardi

Falco_Lombardi Newly Registered

In 2011 I payed full price for Skyrim on the Xbox 360. Didn't like the game
    Today I just purchased Skyrim for the Xbox One, paying full price for it again... I am feeling so stupid right now...

17. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Speaking of XBox 360 - i hate that console. 4 revisions failed for me, two were replaced TWICE and failed again.
    Jasper finally gave up on failing when it was reballed using... leaded solder from 1956. And cooling system was completely reworked so it's silent and it works for 5 years since repair. That was probably the worst gaming waste of money. Street Fighter V was another. Game mechanics is great but it's still looks like a beta. Server problems, matchmaking problems, lack of proper keyboard support, arcade mode, not to mention linux version they promised.
    Netcode itself is weird too. Sometimes US guys don't lag at all but my friend from Finland lags like crazy. He got 100mbit/s UL/DL, i have 1Gbit/s UL/DL, ping is about 20-27. Even MKKE don't lag which have notoriously bad netcode, like Injustice.

18. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Oh man Cyrix processors were awful, I made the same mistake. The day my AMD K-6 arrived was a joyous day.

19. Lionheart

Lionheart Robust Member

Pocketstation

Spent about £50 importing one to not have ANY PAL games that used it, think i traded it for pokemon cards with a friend (hey, i was a dumb kid)

20. RPlayDays

RPlayDays Active Member

The PS3 near launch (about £400 or something around that) console got lots of use but for the price and it dying 3 years later makes it a bad investment considering the older consoles still run great 30 years later