The worst thing you ever used money on (Gaming wise)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Madsmaten, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Madsmaten

Madsmaten Enthusiastic Member

What is the worst thing you ever got tricked into buying gaming wise?
    Anything from games to accessories.
    Personally I got the game boy zoom and light attachment once, which was a horrible piece of tech, and akward to use probably :D
    I also got a very cheap, Ferrari branded steering wheel as a kid for the PS2, and it was just horrible to use.
    Made the entire thing impossible to play.

Let us hear yours!

- Madsmaten

2. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Boy oh boy. Quality, eh? Sega Nomad is atrocious to seriously attempt to use as a handheld.
    The rare distinction of being portable with RGB output may be cool, except it wasn't released in any regions people wanted that.

3. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Wii U by far.

4. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Hmm, quite a good question. I think I've been lucky in that I've never really ended up a with many lemons but if I had to choose one it'd be Unreal 2 at launch. I was really hyped for that game and ended up being massively disappointed.

£30 when 16 and still in school is quite the hit.

ProjectAnarchy likes this.
  5. Ryudo

Ryudo SEGA!

Anything MMO. At first I feel like yeah that thing would be cool to have but then I feel like shit after paying for it even if as little as 5 bucks. Only one MMO a thing I got I did not regret....until I realize if I had more patience I could get all the in game money I need to get the item. No I had to have it now...gah.

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I spent like 5 bucks on one of those smart phone freemium games' in game currency once.. I felt so dirty after..

storm132, supersega and rso like this.
  7. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

ew, falling for the phone trend. hehe

I guess the worst thing I bought was some third party accessory. But that was ages ago. Never again. Only official licensed products.
    Even saying that I have a small collection of Saturn third party controllers. I'll never use them to play, of course. N64 and Dreamcast also have some third party stuff but really in low numbers. Gamecube and up I've completely stopped that. Nothing unofficial is worth IMO.
    I remember some people used to like those "monster" xbox, PS2 and GC controllers hehe (not monster brand, but "monster appearance", with blood, horns and reptile texture and stuff lol

8. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

Probably a PS3 + some gran turismo game + logitech steering wheel + some chair... used the combo maybe 3-4x and then the whole bunch just occupied space that I didn't have much off. Eventually sold the whole bunch for some quick cash, only regrets were buying it in the first place. Another contender is the 12-month xbox live subscription, which I bought twice. About the same number of times I actually logged in.
    I've also got a xbone slim 2TB that I got a xbox one elite controller for, and 11 games.. and I've powered it up for at most 2 hours by now.. but I still intend to play on that eventually!

9. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

That generation had some weird controllers. Like the FPS one with a screen in it, the one with fans, and ones molded after things you wouldn't want your hands wrapped around.

As for purchases I really regret, getting an Xbox One right before they started throwing in Forza 5 for free, or my MOGA phone controller. I used it like 3 times, now I just plug in a Dualshock 4 if I want to use a controller on my phone.

10. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Buying Kabuki Warriors for the original xbox at full retail/launch price. That game was so awful.

ProjectAnarchy likes this.
  11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It has problems, for sure; it's pretty big, the batteries don't last very long, and the screen has pretty bad ghosting. Still, if you want to portably play Genesis games on real hardware, it's the only option. For what it is, it's pretty cool. If I were traveling a lot, like on a regular basis, I'd probably bring it with me. That and a PC Engine GT, and some other handhelds.

Should've kept the PS3. There are some pretty good games for the PS3.

12. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

13. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

I just bought Mighty No.9 despite all the poor reviews. It was only $25, but man is it wet garbage.

14. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

The NES Max controller. I bought for the turbo function but hated the directional pad. For some reason I expected track ball level responsiveness.

15. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Dreamcast console, dead within 2 weeks and Sega refused free repair.

16. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

Both Mad catz and Pelican controllers. Pretty much any 3rd part controller is cheaply designed.

17. Dracarys

Dracarys Rapidly Rising Member

18. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

DLC.

LD likes this.
  19. rso

rso °

Tiger (and others) LCD games.

The 360 I got would be a good candidate as it has only seen a few hours of use, ever, but it was a gift so doesn't count.

20. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

UMvC3 on the 360. I had some fun with it but overall it did not live up to my expectations and was not worth the full $40 I spent. Maybe I'd feel differently I played competitively. Maybe the Wii Classic controller as well since I ended up using my Gamecube controller for VC games but it was only $20.