The Wii Shop is dead

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Pinta77, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

The Wii Shop died January 30th. All service is officially cut. The Wii is dead. Shoot I remember when this thing was brand new, but the wiishop has lived for an impressive 14 years. I suppose it’s time.

It’s a shame that I didn’t really realize how much of a retro game console powerhouse the Wii actually is until after they stopped allowing you to purchase Wii points. You can play the 1st three iderations of Super Smash on this console (not to mention project m and other mods.) You can play a very decent amount of nes, snes and N64 games on this console, the latter being the most significant considering there is no n64 classic coming anytime soon. When you stop to think, it’s a very impressive console even to today’s standards.

Of course, that’s all gone now. Except it’s not. If you have never installed the Homebrew channel, now is the time my friends. In addition to the entire Wiishop being leaked on the internet at this point, all the homebrew emulators available for the Wii (GBC/GBA, nes, snes, Virtual Boy, Ps1 and more) PLUS Wii ware exclusive titles, not to mention the handful of Wii exclusive titles that are fantastic (like punchout and brawl for example) I might argue that the Wii is the definitive console for retro gamers at this moment. It is really amazing what you can do with your Wii now. It’s ironic, but now that the Wii Shop is dead, I’ve finally blown the dust off my Wii and have been using it more than any of my other consoles.

If you haven’t already, check it out, especially if you prefer to have everything in one place.

I’ve said my piece about the Wii. R.I.P. Wii Shop.

2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

RIP Wii Shop. I Miss the days where I could browse the Wii shop, or spin the globe around in the weather app. Alas, those days are gone..

Maybe I should mod my Wii.. I was just playing it the other night, love me some Bit Trip (which still controls best on the Wii)

Pinta77 likes this.
  3. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

It’s really easy to mod

4. Hiccup

Hiccup Robust Member

Not quite everything. The korean version of Yoshi's Cookie is missing. Please contact me if you have it.