the unreleased code veronica x for dc

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by truemaster1, Jul 31, 2016.

1. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

opps firedrop is out for good and problem is i dont remember how to make cdi. and from what i remember disk 2 needs downsample

2. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

3. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Can anyone summarize, in a couple of words, the major developments of this since the start?
    Iirc, this started out useless with no text and binary swapping?
    Where are we now?

truemaster1 likes this.
  4. truemaster1

i guess youre right too much time has passed too many pages to read. the game status is playable start to finish devenlopent didnt return much results. if you wana play it the best way for now is to play it with the usa 1st_read.bin (the upload is with usa anyways) and youre good to go. some effects during cut sceens found only in the x version and ported to the first version will missed but are not game breaking.

americandad likes this.
  5. fafadou

With 1ST_READ.BIN complete jap version, the letters size by VWF is replaced by a constant value.
    The size is missing. The text get out of screen...
    Thanks for your help.

americandad and truemaster1 like this.
  6. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Will us binary play the extra fmvs and cutscenes though? And the other (?) extra content?

/Ps. Nice to see this site still alive :)

truemaster1 likes this.
  7. truemaster1

this site is indeed not dead:) yes the extra videos will play some effects will not. example when claire encounder wesket outside the palace wesker eyes will not turn red before he jumps away.

americandad and fafadou like this.
  8. fafadou

Now we are in obscure gamers and dreamcast talk step by step :)

So the jap 1ST_READ.BIN like said the fast @truemaster1 has extra FMVs and visual effects.

I notice two VWF pointers in the US version when the jap has only one. And in the jap one, the VWF is called one time when the US and european versions called it via a subroutine...
    For me, the pointer missing in jap version is used for locating the beginning of the text on the left of the screen replaced by a shorter code, I guess for constant sum when the US and european adds each letter's size.

Anthony817 and truemaster1 like this.
  9. truemaster1

im also member of obscure gamers. but i feel this project is belong here. after and if assemblergames go down then i will post it on obscure gamers (if im alowed) the bins are hardcoded in my opinion, or a really advance skills are nedded. the other way around is reverse engineering but i have no clue.

fafadou likes this.
  10. fafadou

11. truemaster1

oh thats good. not perfect, but definetly a progress way better than before. any news on the game documents? is that your work? but thats strange some text have almost proper vwf some others are showing same as before. propably there is a secondary place with vwf. i try edit the known area but as before no effect. maybe the area you modify has more space to change.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  12. fafadou

I can't try the documents because I don't know how to build the full game with jap 1ST_READ.BIN ^^
    I just replace the 1ST_READ.BIN jap in your french version of RECVX instead of the US 1ST_READ.BIN
    So the game crash when I start a game lool. But I have text during the VMU check and when you try to load a game.

Yeah it's my work, I started assembler with grandia 2 project and fantastic Dark Magus's teach but I'm still a very beginner.
    You have here the result of many weeks of research, request everywhere around the net and full of my energy ^^ Since the end of grandia 2 french translation project.

As you have rightly notice, the result is not perfect yet, as you had looked well, the "i" has the same size than the "M" for example. But with the RECV font, all letters have pratically the same size so the result looks acceptable even if it's still the same constant for all letters.

In first I patched the beginning of text at the left of screen with VWF access, when jap version you had only an add with constant size * number of letters.
    And now I tried to patch the VWF access, for each letter by a subroutine when you have only a constant in jap 1ST_READ.BIN. But by "mistake" I changed the size of the constant :)
    Other thing, you have two constants in jap version against three in european version in IEEE 754, 32 bit format :
    jap :
    41 F0 00 00 -> 30 pixels
    41 E0 00 00 -> 28 pixels
    europ :
    41 F0 00 00 -> 30 pixels
    41 E0 00 00 -> 28 pixels
    41 80 00 00 -> 16 pixels

So I guess I have replace one of jap by 41 80 00 00 -> 16 pixels
    It was late yesterday so I can't confirm it for now but for me if you look in your 1ST_READ.BIN jap VMU patch it's here :
    [​IMG]

I hope I will be able to do a better patch, I have some things to try left in order to add the subroutine VWF access. But I can't promise, so I'm crossing finger for the constant size patch and beginning of the text by VWF access is enough at least for now...

But it's clearly a step forward :)

13. fafadou

Yes the constant size is here, I confirm.

truemaster1 likes this.
  14. truemaster1

ok thats sounds nice:) too bad im teribly busy and cant mess with it.at the meentime only quick tests i can make by loading some saves in various places.

15. TheManThatTellsTheTruth

TheManThatTellsTheTruth Active Member

Problem is there are no decent assemblers for Dremcast binaries, so any work where assembly is needed would be a pain in the arse.

fafadou and truemaster1 like this.
  16. fafadou

No problem @truemaster1 :) I'm looking for a better patch anyway.
    We can do better released later.

Yeah we need hands lol but we trying to do the best by yourself.

americandad likes this.