the unreleased code veronica x for dc

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by truemaster1, Jul 31, 2016.

1. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

Yeah I'll share this case in other frech forum with master of translation coding.

In the japanese 1ST_READ.BIN you have more than others : the effects, the cut scenes in more than european version and the Variable Font Width (VFW) for each letter in the document ? I just want to be sure.

If we can find the VWF in japan 1st_read.bin we'll be able to replace it by the good one from each version you can find at the beginning of the sysmes.ald.

I have download your pack with 1ST_READ.BIN japanese, I want to try it for documents. It's strange I didn't find the original complete version anymore... I wish to compare the sysmes.ald and the system.afs, could you share them please.

truemaster1 likes this.
  2. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

my project veronica readme address all the issues the only thing is not up to date is the complete version or second version 1stbin the latest to date is the vmu location translation i shared before. you remember it dont you? the untouched japanese complete version is here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eXTlKWkYF1xcL3cu3crZyCvmMmcDMOjb in japan is caled biohazard

3. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

Exactly :)

thanks.

4. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

I don't any ansnwer in the other forum (no one would help us, I asked every where ^^) but now but I'm still looking in the afs if there is something to change.
    I understand better why you asked me about documents, it's because the english version doesn't have subtitles ^^ But i's propably the same way for text than the 1st screen, subtitles and documents enigmas etc...
    In the system.afs, for me the 1st_file is in japanese maybe its the sequel to the sysmes.ald for the complete version in japanese.

The beginning of the sysmes.ald is very longer (to the first hex FF FF FF FF) than the others version but not sure if it's the VWF.

In the system.afs, all the file seems to be the stuff you can add in your inventory (weapons, zyppo etc...) in pvr except the first as I said above. The only different file is the 13th or the 15th (don't remember exactly) longer about 2ko than the other version and start by a beautiful X (I asking to myself if it's the steve haircut, a little different in the RECVX)

For me the, documents, and subtitles are in the ADV.AFS you have differents files with text in same method than the sysmes.ald in those files the pvr are not the same in each version... and two files about 514ko which exist only in the complete version, I add them to the french version just for see and I have a main title with "complete" text in japanese add in the picture add no problem of display in left down corner but it had me the english main menu and not the french one...

I'll try to understand better how it works.

In first I have to import the beginning of the sysmes.ald and try to the same in each file text after import the pvr in those files text from the complete version there is different pvr after the text.
    And for for the mainscreen try to add the 514ko file for changing the picture without changing the langage menu.

Edit : I took the 01 file of the ADV.AFS the 2 first line are the adress of each part of the file (4 parts in this one)
    and I import the us version of datas just before the first text in french and just after the four adress and I kept all the datas of the french version of RECVX you have release so only the 01 of the ADV.AFS had been patched (around ten hex lines) and I have this :

[​IMG]
    the text have changed and it's not the good one but the first "é" is good and the second is not (normally you must have "connecté au" instead of "conectéau") but if you look carrefully the two é are differents...
    They come from two differents font ? Don't know... But finally I can changed something ^^

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    truemaster1 likes this.
  5. truemaster1

the sysmes.ald have nothing to do with VWF. im not sure if system.afs can do something about it. but if you have a version lets just say the english one with usa 1st bin everything including VWF is ok. only with japan 1st bin vwf issues happen. but yes system.afs deserve a try

fafadou likes this.
  6. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

ah the beginning of the file is not a VWF but the adress of text (start at beggining of adress and finished when you have a 0xFF FF).

It's you have above I have import the adress us list to the french one and you have an other text appear. It's strange for the accent "é" but It's the same letter in the 01 file of ADV.AFS "z" but the issue is not here...

Maybe in the sysmes.ald. And compare the first file of sysem.afs with each version.

edit :
    Sorry I said a bad thing I was not talking about the sysmes.ald but the system.afs.

In the same time I'm looking for a vwf I'm patching the ADV.AFS in order to correcting that in bottom of main screen :
    [​IMG] Ye

For now I had just changed the ugly mpeg sofdec screen byt the blue logo of eidos.
    For this picutre the PVPL just before the PVR is very important.

What have you patch in the item.afs ?

And how you share a liitle picture than the big I post each time ? Sorry about that...

edit 2 :
    Finally I have a little help, in order to find a VWF (if it exist)

We have to replace in the first screen always the same letter and count the width of the letter and the width of the space in pixels :
    [​IMG]

It's done with the US 1ST_READ.BIN I count 6 pixels with and 4 pixels empty between the "i"
    For points 7 width 7 empty.
    Other picture if it can help :
    [​IMG]
    We have to do a list and check in the 1ST_READ.BIN

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    americandad and truemaster1 like this.
  7. truemaster1

i see your new edit now. you asked what are the changes i made in item.afs simple when use the 2nd version 1stbin the game manual is found in the inventory instead in the game files it will moved in your files after you read it . when usa or any 1st version item.afs is used the files exist in the inventory as it should but without the picture. is like an invisible item. so i extract the japanese 2nd version item.afs and the english one found the file that give the correct photo and repack the item.afs but that was not enough, the use, combine, and check, commands revert to japanese characters so i overwrite some strings via hex edit from the usa file and that takes care the missing photo and keep the use, combine, and check, commands in english.:) also keep in mind that afs is only for english version and for the first disk only. now i see you made some progress:) are you any closer to width issue?

8. MastaG

MastaG Rising Member

Respect for what you are trying to achieve fafadou.

It looks like a lot of work and effort with all the repacking and hex edits..

fafadou and truemaster1 like this.
  9. truemaster1

yes its true 2 people, without any real professional help progress this far.

fafadou likes this.
  10. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

Sorry for the delay.
    The guy has finally answer me... But for him there is no VWF in the 1ST_READ.BIN second version (the japanese one) because all the letters have the same spaces.

Here he's answer :
    "The thing is that as I told you the Japanese version may not have a VWF, and fixed width letters it is very often disgusting (that's my opinion). I'm just here to help you, I do not want 36000 informations, it does not interest me, I just need to know what VWF I need to look for because it was about that at the beginning and not in the jap version because surely missing."

What do you suggest me to answer him ? May I have to ask him to locate the VWF in the RECVX in french with the 1st_READ.BIN US version (the first version) ? Probably we'll be able to change the size in the second version.

And for now I don't find the area using by the second version 1st_read.bin for this first screen... If I take the japanese game, the ADV.AFS, replace only the first, second and fifth files inside by the french ones, I have always the first screen in japanese.
    With your version of RECVX, I have french text in those files inside the ADV.AFS and the first screen is readen through the first file of ADV.AFS...

truemaster1 likes this.
  11. truemaster1

oh thats bad but. but somehow expecting it ive seen a lot of fanmade japanese to english translatioms all suffer from vwf problem. anyway ask him how to fix the francaise spaces in the us bin it will be good. also ask him about how to enable the file documents to be read from sysmes.ald in order to show the correct language instead of japanese. also we dont know if we can add the extra effects by changing bytes in the usa bin. maybe the bin have space for that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    fafadou likes this.
  12. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

It's done.

Still continue to find some things by my side, in the japanese ADV.AFS there are two files of PVR picture in more than others version the size is 514 ko for each one. Effects ?

americandad and truemaster1 like this.
  13. truemaster1

by effects i mean the extra visual effects during the extra scenes ported from the complete version. also there is a video the MV_021 it wont play if using the usa bin a fix for that as well

fafadou likes this.
  14. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

This video have to be played just after the previous (the credit ?) if my memory is good.
    it may be possible to add it to directly to the previous. I have changed the end of the intro (MV_016) of the french version adding the complete logo at the end.

15. truemaster1

this video the mv_021 its played before the credits. its after wesker and chris done fighting then the video mv_021 and last the credits

fafadou likes this.
  16. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

Ok we'll see later what to do.
    The guy has the iso but not have a look yet...

truemaster1 likes this.
  17. truemaster1

patience im sure a solution will happen

fafadou likes this.
  18. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

i'm a bit late to the party here but:

what is this project? is the english version finished? i've never beaten CV so i would wait to play this version

what differences in RECVX justify doing all this work?

truemaster1 likes this.
  19. Pazzard

Pazzard Active Member

I'd be interested in knowing the differences too. I have only ever played the UK PAL Dreamcast RE CV, even though I also own the GameCube and PS2 versions. I think it was playing Dino Crisis 3 on XBox that put me off this game. Could never go back to it after playing that and then RE: Remake afterwards.

truemaster1 likes this.
  20. truemaster1

the recv has 2 version the standar and the complete. the complete version has some extra videos wesker related (i wont spoil) the standar version come only in dc while the complete version see only japan release for dc. the gamecube and ps2 versions are ports from the complete version. this project targets to make the only dc version whitch is japanese to complete english and is somehow complete just not perfect. we just simply try to make it as perfect as we can

Wachenroder, fafadou and TerdFerguson like this.