the unreleased code veronica x for dc

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by truemaster1, Jul 31, 2016.

1. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

If I understand well, you have in PVR the subtitles and the explaining text when you are in the inventory menu and when you read a document. But in the menu some characters are in japanese and impossible to change them (For now Carlos haven't fix them) because there are directly on the menu and not in PVR). Here an abstract of the US 1ST_READ.BIN problems :

Truemaster explain you that better than me. But for me it's easier to take the jap 1st_read.bin as you said and import in the first time the PVR text mode from the US (or french or spanish as langage you want translate) Maybe if you take the us picture of menu than the jap it will be good.

Here the last explanation file made by truemaster :
    https://mega.nz/#!yAIkBDDA!UR6TYmo16htGYB87mvAQXMskkrGv9pL7PyJ-cUqOXT0

Thanks again for your help

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    truemaster1 likes this.
  2. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

sorry to come late i was busy last days. all the issues are in my read me txt. the game thet neds to be patched is the english france and espanol version that i have already make and the links for them are in first page. from what i remember about the required fix-patch is
    the japanese 1st read.bin (included in the download) is the original 1st bin of the game since the complete version never released outside japan for dc. in order to make it english or any other european language i use all the main game files those with rdx extension from europe versions example for spanish the spanish rdx and i only put from the japan version those rdx that gives the extra scenes and the video files the afs ones. i have also modified the sound files. about english version i use the usa 1st bin and everything about texts are ok. if i use the usa 1st bin in other languages some text characters are broke i thing only 2 from the whole alphabet. i didnt use the espanol or france 1st read bin for those version because of the 60hz lack. but with the usa 1st bin the extra videos are not played correct. if i use the japanese 1st read.bin the videos are correct but big spaces between the text characters for example when check the enviroment. and all the game files are in japanese despite the fact that the sysmes.ald and system.afs are in english (for english version) now you mention that take the japanese 1stbin and fix the big spacing and the files issue. is easier than patch usa 1st bin for show correct the extra videos. either way what is easier is what will be patched. anyway first things first try to patch the spacing issue and i will make the tests in english version. when that issues goes for good look about the solution in the files. thanks for the help i will be here and help too

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    fafadou likes this.
  3. IlDucci

IlDucci Site Supporter 2015

My thoughts exactly. Anyway, about the graphical contents, any translation will need a texture extractor and importer. The textures use PVR twiddling, but inside they're like TIM2 files: 4bpp/8bpp palletized textures (With alpha channel inside the palette, just like PS2). That'd be a first step towards adding new textures.

The second one would be extending the variable width table that's located inside the 1ST_READ.BIN. Two issues here:
    - It's disabled because of the usage of kanjis.
    - The current table only goes as far as the ASCII content, but won't be of use with accented characters.

After that, editing the level and UI texts seems easy, but requires a tool as well (There's some code in the level files that deal with the justification of the texts).

truemaster1 and fafadou like this.
  4. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

mmm i thought that patching the japanese 1st bin in a way for characters to have the correct space between them, and enable the documents files you found by progressing to appear in english just they do if using the usa 1stn bin will be enough. now lets just say we put aside the premade custom version, and take a virgin cvx japanes gdi dump. translate the japanese text in the main game palletized textures to english or other language what the final result will be? how that will change the big spaces between the characters? since the spacing is calculated from the 1st bin. the documents files from the other hand in european versions and usa ones take the characters from the sysmes.ald, in the japanese version the kanji characters came from the 1st bin. and thats why when i build my version by just replace the usa 1st bin with the japanese 1st bin, all the document files are appear in japanese. remember european versions and usa ones the sysmes.ald is approx 83mb the japanese one is 11mb. im not saying my thinking about full translation and correct gameplay is the correct one maybe im wrong. but i cant see how those issues in the language side will be take cared by translate the game files, the one i used are already in the disired language.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Spirited Member

If you need help tracking down a specific gdi let me know I probably have it.

Thanks for the translations by the way.....they are always appreciated l. I wish I knew how to do them for the saturn there are so many Japanese games released there that would be amazing to play in English

truemaster1 likes this.
  6. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

@Korn16ftl3 enjoy the game. it have some small issues but its playable all the way to the finish. right now theire are no demands for another language, exept francais espanole and english and i have already made them

fafadou and Korn16ftl3 like this.
  7. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Now that I have a better knowledge (a very little more ^^).
    I opened the 1ST_READ.BIN from japanese version (resident evil code veronica complete) and the us version of resident evil code veronica with an hex edit.
    And there are almost the same... Except of course the japanese one is huger but the parts are very similar and possible to see the beginning and the end of each (I'm not saying it's easy ^^).
    I had just have a look but perhaps it's possible to import the japanese effect of wesker's eyes and the missing things in the us 1ST_READ.BIN

@truemaster1 : have you already try this ? In your memories what are the best way for finishing the project properly, I believe for you is to import the japanese adds (could you remember me which ones ?) than import the spaces letters for our alphabet.

truemaster1 likes this.
  8. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

yeah ive seen you make a good practice that result in a grandia 2 with french subs. if i were a french i would very happy. now the things youve try in the resident evil are things ive tried my self before i release the project. a lot of similarities and diference between the bins indeed. ive tried to port things one time to usa bin one time to japan bin without any diferencess, or with a complete broken game. now for your question i think corecting the spacing issue in the japanese bin is the way to go. because if we try to port the extra effects in the usa bin the bin may grow bigger. and the research ive made 2 years ago inticates that the bytes that replaced must be less or equal to original bytes size. or a reconstruction is nedded. anyway i dont thing a hex edit would be enough but more advance programs are needed. but thats my opinion. if you thing you can manage give it a shoot. also i would like to hear from @japanese_cake if he had seen into the game. now thats about for an english version. for other languages if i remember correct 2 letters from the alphabet are shown wrong. again that issue is comming if we use a differend bin. i use for the francais and the esponol the usa bin. for 60 hz and proper vga compatibility. but those versions are suffer with another problem as well, all the pal versions of code veronica are locked for 50hz. with the usa bin i force 60hz but if you look and hear carefully you will notice the dialogs go out of sync. for those versions the paching goes deep, maybe all the rdx files need paching for propper 60hz compatibility

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    fafadou likes this.
  9. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

For example here : You can see the same things :
    [​IMG]

Here in the name of all areas you can guess
    it's writen in japanese :
    upload_2018-4-14_16-19-15.png
    For me find and import the adds in the other version is probably possible with saves with just before a wesker scene for example.

truemaster1 likes this.
  10. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

ive edit my post (i found my project veronica read me file and i remember things:)) woa that hex edit is cool i dont remember see all that stuff. yes a save before 1st wesker video is what i did too.
    also i see a dummy string just before the area names start in the usa bin but not in the japan bin. try add the dummy string in the japan bin. see if that change something

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 12:24 AM
    fafadou likes this.
  11. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Yeah I have seen a lot of minor differences all around the files.
    For now find the letters size in the usa bin to copy it in the japan one will avoid the pointer errors. As you said.

I have read your txt again. Now I have a better vision again :)

Tell me about your tries.

12. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

i have change some butes in the usa 1st bin with ones from the japan bin that change the vmu name from resident evil to biohazard not the change we looking for but i will continue

fafadou likes this.
  13. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Yeah the dummy before the name of areas list don't inspire confident in this part of 1st_read.bin but if you check carrefully the two files some huge differences should happen.

I hope you'll can find something :) Change the name of the vmu display is a first very good new.
    Don't hesitate to add the screens capture of 1st_read.bin in hex edit.

I'll still continue the check in my side too.

14. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

the left is the modified usa bin the right is the original usa bin that will change the vmu screen from resident evil to biohazard. stiil try to find a hex code that will either manage the spacing issue or the file text

Attached Files:

fafadou likes this.
  15. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

the strings i was looking are vms saves section. im looking inside the japanese bin now the changes here will be easier. i manage to change the saves files name to be readed as re_cv-x instead of japanese characters. its the names when you look at the saves in the dreamcast vmu manager

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    fafadou likes this.
  16. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Be carreful, If I have a good information, the dreamcast doesn't accept the save name beyond 12 letters max.
    If you change the name like VERONICAX.SYS it probably doesn't work...

I like RECVX.SYS if it's possible and replace the remove letters by 00 for me it must be good.

You can change the vmu logo but very difficult ^^

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    truemaster1 likes this.
  17. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

yeah i know lets just say the original string is 10 characters you can put 10 and be ok or 9 and zero the remaining 1 character with number 20 not 00 in hexedit some last touches are left and i will release the new bin it will be the japanese 2nd version bin with english vmu names locations and the resident evil logo instead of biohazard

fafadou likes this.
  18. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

some pictures that show the file names on vmu manager and the resident evil logo on vmu. nearly done now

Attached Files:

fafadou likes this.
  19. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Very nice !
    Just a question what is on the third picture, on left down corner ? the mainscreen code veronica complete is different that the normal edition ?

truemaster1 likes this.
  20. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

no when japan bin is used some fonts in the main screen are disorded a little.