The Translation Thread

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by Yakumo, Mar 7, 2009.

1. ultramecha

ultramecha Rising Member

Needing the following images translated please
    mvc2_first_page.jpg mvc2_second.jpg the_error.jpg

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Image 1:
    Handle Name (required)
    Telephone Number (required)
    Mail Address (required)
    Estimated limit of used funds this month (recommended)

Image 2:
    Name (recommended)
    Age (recommended)
    Occupation (recommended)
    Zip Code | Address (recommended)
    Don't need Capcom Direct Mail 
               Register

Image 3:
    Either the line is busy or settings are wrong.
    Please check modem settings and connect again.

ultramecha likes this.
  3. ultramecha

ultramecha Rising Member

Thanks!

4. Nicky Biscuit

Nicky Biscuit Member

Hi,

Could someone help me with this?

○接続ケーブルが必要ないけど精神衛生上の機種
    ・FMT-DP535/5351/536/5361/5351W/5361W/8311/8711

For context its from a Yahoo Auction listing for a cable to connect X68k to FM Towns monitor. Google translate seems to keep referring to "mental health" so I assume this is quite context sensitive.

Many thanks in advance.

5. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Strange, it seems that 精神衛生 does actually mean mental health, and so does 精神衛生上 - but I'm not sure what the 上 adds to the meaning. On its own, 上 means "up", "top", "superior", etc.

So if you break it down separately, the meanings are:

• 接続ケーブル = "connection cable"
    • 必要ないけど = "do not need"
    • 精神衛生 = "mental health", but with the added 上 it might be meant as a positive term (because "up", "superior", "top" = positive terms), so maybe 精神衛生上 means "positive mental health", but then that still doesn't make sense in this context... Perhaps the word can be used in this kind of context and it's just not well documented in any translation system, because it isn't commonly used this way.
    • 機種 = "model"
    It's possible that he's saying he doesn't need the cable anymore, and it's a "superior condition model". I'm not really sure, sorry, but that's my best guess.

Nicky Biscuit likes this.
  6. Nicky Biscuit

Nicky Biscuit Member

Thanks DeChief, I wonder if he says you don't need the cable for these models? Kinda risky to try without the cable I think!

DeChief likes this.
  7. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

It's quite common japanese.
    (something) 上 = from the standpoint of (something), as a matter of (something), in the field of (something), ...
    cfr http://jisho.org/search/#kanji 上

A random other example:
    https://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/教育上
    教育 = education
    教育上 = educational, concerning education, ...

So my translation would be:
    "Models for which a connection cable is not needed, but for (your) mental health" :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Nicky Biscuit and pool7 like this.
  8. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Lmao that's a really weird thing to say, is it supposed to be literal?

9. Nicky Biscuit

Nicky Biscuit Member

It could be like "piece of mind" I think.... but my mental health would suffer if it blew up either the monitor or computer!

DeChief likes this.
  10. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Indeed, for me it's "for your peace of mind" if you would translate it more liberally to English.
    BTW, I think I found the auction, and:
    - he also says that since the TOWNS display does not support sound, he did not connect the audio cables "for your mental health" :)
    - beware, the guy writes your sentence under "models that should be supported, but I didn't test them" and "if it doesn't work, sorry"

11. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

What does the yellow text in the upper left blue box say, please?

[​IMG]

BTW, if anyone is interested, the image is from the work-in-progress English translation of the Japanese-only Simcity 64, a brilliant game for the N64 (or an emulator, of course). It's basically an enhanced version of Simcity 2000, but with features that for some reason were never added to to later PC iterations of the game, such as being able to view the city in first person view, and walk, drive a car, travel by train, and even fly (via a helicopter that you control) around your city. To me, it's the best version of a city builder that I've ever played, because it's so immersive. And the isometric screen, where you actually select and place objects, is now genuine 3D so you can alter the view to make it easier to judge what you want to place where.

[​IMG]

The translation is progressing very well indeed, despite being almost entirely the work of one person, and if you want to read about it, then go here:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6982.0

(Please note: there are two Simcity games on the N64, Simcity 2000, and Simcity 64, and it's the latter game (the much enhanced one) that is being translated, though Simcity 2000 might well be translated one day).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  12. Denryu

Denryu マスコット

If you mean "達成!", that's "Success!" or "Accomplished!" in English.

13. Conker2012

That's fantastic, mate! Thanks for that.

14. jhonny_d

jhonny_d Spirited Member

15. cez

cez Site Supporter

16. Conker2012

What do the non-English words/characters in this screenshot say, please?

[​IMG]

17. cez

cez Site Supporter

Height: 40
    Price: 0
    Crime: Low
    Pollution: Low

Length (81)
    Width (46)

[Item description]: vacant land

BTW: Did you know about this? https://ksnk.jp/ddlab/supp/en.html
    Just came across this site.

18. Conker2012

Cez, thanks mate, that's brilliant!

No, I've not seen that site before, thanks for the link. Like most people, my experience of the 64DD and it's games was non-existent until it became possible to run the games on the Everdrive 64 and the 64Drive, as neither I or nor any of my friends had even seen a 64DD, let alone used one.

But I'd heard about SimCIty 64, and it really intrigued me, since I loved SimCity 2000 on the PC, and SC64 seemed (according to what I read online and in N64 magazines) to be even more immersive and enjoyable, and when the 64DD failed to be released outside of Japan, I hoped that SimCity 64 would be released on cartridge, but it never happened, and I forgot about the game until some very clever hackers got the games to work on the flash cartridges, and I finally got to play it, and it's every bit as brilliant as I hoped it would be! (This is especially good for me as at the moment, I feel that modern gaming is rather boring and formulaic, so at least I have this and other great older games to tide me over until modern gaming gets great again).

Anyway, thanks for the translation, and if you like city-building games and have an N64 and a flash cartridge (or you can use an emulator, but I've not yet found one that emulates it even close to perfectly) then you should try SimCity 64, as it's really good.

19. Beatbroken

Beatbroken Active Member

For a long time my friend has been trying to identify the titles of these tracks from the Japanese television show Takeshi's Castle (風雲!たけし城 Fūun! Takeshi-jō, literally Showdown! Takeshi Castle), with no luck. Maybe someone here is familiar?
    These are the remaining tracks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5af2iEjDCbSVlpOTeN7GU4L7mqfH0q9g