The Translation Thread

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by Yakumo, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Sadly, it wasn't written in kanji at any point. The translation was very helpful though. I just found out that this was an annual tournament, but after the second year they changed the name of it. After googling the new tournament name it turns out all the opponents are named after finalists from the 1st and 2nd annual tournaments.

Thanks!

2. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@Zoinkity

I see. Give me a shout if you need anything else!

3. BenjaminStevens

BenjaminStevens Rising Member

Hey djandy76,

Thanks for taking the time to look at it and for giving me the translation. The thing is, though, the deadline for my submission of the instruction booklet has already since passed, and I think the one who was to print off the instruction booklets has already done so, so it is too late for me to make changes to the story that appears in the instruction booklet that everyone will have the opportunity to get soon. In any case, I think what I submitted is about the gist of what you gave, so it should hopefully do justice to the Gundam story.

4. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

Wow, awesome, thanks so much! Really glad to know that I did an OK job with it. :D And yeah, FUJISAN over at the 3DO forums offered a fairly "colorful" word (think Oedipus) as a suggested translation, but that was too strong. Maybe something like "bone-headed busybody" or "bone-brained buttinsky"?

5. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@BenjaminStevens

Ah, okay. Sorry I didn't react sooner then. Still, hope it all went well printing the booklets.

6. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@goldenband

It's my pleasure, and honestly think the translation's really solid. As for the two suggestions, I think either would work very nicely given the overall style of the text!

7. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't even notice this thread had replies!

Thanks for your help. It seems ambiguous to me though, like, "never once thought I'd like to" in the sense that he always thought he'd dislike it, or that the thought never occurred?

8. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@RetroSwim

Well, I suppose it could be rephrased along the lines of "I've never wanted to hold a Koala. Not even once.", but I agree, it is a bit of a funny statement whichever way you look at it...

9. Torchickens

Torchickens Newly Registered

Hi djandy76, I started a Wiki about the Chalien series (Chailien series) and I need help with the names of certain minigames in Chee-Chai Alien (some have kanji in them). Could you write out the kanji please? I don't mind if you don't translate the actual names.

Here they are:

http://minus.com/m00EttQIWSAa2

Note two of them I had to take a photo of as I don't have a complete save emulated and apparently certain minigames share the same menu ID, so I couldn't hack it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  10. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@Torchickens

Sure, here you go (I've only written out the Kanji, not translated anything):

------------------------
    Top row, left to right
    怪光線アタック
    宇宙ドリル伍号
    豚を釣る宇宙人

Second row, left to right
    ちゃいリアン地上絵
    ビンタの鬼
    ちゃいリアンの夏

Third row, left to right

電撃磁場反転
    豚を釣る宇宙人

Fourth row, left to right
    空腹飛行
    地球に落ちてきたちゃいリアン
    宇宙人大来

Fifth row, left to right
    異星人からの伝言
    流星を越えて
    ------------------------

I noticed that each game shows "あそぶ" (Play) and "せつめい" (Instructions) too, if that's any help.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  11. Torchickens

Torchickens Newly Registered

Wow!! That was very fast. Thanks a lot :)

I knew each game says Play and Instructions, it was just the game names that I needed help with.

12. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Old fashioned, perhaps... but it's perfectly acceptable English. Never once means not even once. Why would it mean he always thought he'd dislike it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77R-kTnkjr8

13. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@retro

Thanks for vouching for me - nearly began second guessing myself there! Once phrases like that drop out of common, everyday usage, it's no wonder they aren't always recognised.

14. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Can anyone help me out with this one? What does the text below the green button say?
    I've never seen that button blink and today it started blinking.
    I hope it isn't a there-is-a-fire-going-on-inside-your-rare-aiwa-that-you-have-been-working-on-all-afternoon indicator! :biggrin-new:

[​IMG]

15. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

If you mean the text above that green lamp, then is says "kurikaeshi" - which just means "repeat".
    The text above the LED display is "TORAKKU" - I.E. "track"
    The text about the red LED is is "OPERE-TO/denchi - "Operate / Battery"
    The text next to the stop button says "Tomeru" - which is, unsuprisingly "stop"

16. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Thanks for that TriMesh! I wonder how I activated repeat! Hmmmm another mystery for another day I think! :smile-new:

17. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

TriMesh, I wasn't able to find the character den 電 in my kanji dictionary... What are the radicals that make it up?

Edit: NM, found it, but it looks a little different in here.

What a weird and wonderful language! :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  18. Rink

Rink Member

Hi guys,

Anyone know what a connector pig is? :D Found コネクタブタ in a user guide and the best Google can do for the last part is 'pig'. Lol.

Not many websites seem to use that term so I'm at a bit of loss. Something like slot or cover might have made sense but not a farmyard animal.

19. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It's "Connector cover" - It's actually "フタ” = "Lid". I guess Google translate is getting confused by the fact that it's in rendaku form, although it seems to handle "電池ブタ" correctly (as "Battery compartment cover").

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  20. Rink

Rink Member

That's great - thank you very much TriMesh.

I should probably find a proper dictionary or something instead of using Google. Damn thing never gets any better. :sorrow: