The Translation Thread

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by Yakumo, Mar 7, 2009.

1. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

- Please press the start button

- Checking the disc

- Please wait a little bit

2. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Perfect! Now I'll be able to do things... bashing buttons wasn't working too well for me (usually it does!)
    Thanks for your help! :smile-new:

Side note: The Thanks button is gone? When'd that happen!

3. Max_XX_ou

Max_XX_ou Intrepid Member

Is someone can translate my japanese text ?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

4. cypherpunk

cypherpunk Active Member

Any chance you can re-take the image, only in focus? As it is, only a native speaker with knowledge of the subject can read it, since majority of the the kanji is washed out.

5. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

@Maxou

Just to give you the gist, it's about the graphical elements in the game which aren't backgrounds or characters, and the work put into making them realistic given the limitations of the system from a programming perspective.

I can provide a full translation, but I'm curious as to where all these are going first. PM me if you want to discuss it.

6. Max_XX_ou

Ok I sent you a PM.

7. SaturnHST

SaturnHST Spirited Member

I'm wondering if it's not too much trouble can someone please give me the gist of what the extra buttons on the SunSaturn pad do and how the programming function works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. Shane McRetro

Here's another for the whiz kids out there, any help is appreciated as always - just the gist of this one will give me strength to push on!

Here's the link

I'm interested in the last two sections on the page. They appear to be talking about some sort of backup RAM?

Thanks in advance :congratulatory:

9. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

Hi SaturnHST

Here's a simple rundown of the callouts for the main diagram:

-----------------------------------

Button Names

(Clockwise from top left)

HOLD LED

ON LED

Rapid-fire Button

SLOW Button

PROGRAM Button

REAL LED

PRG. LED

R Button

Standard Buttons
    A.B.C
    X.Y.Z

Program-execution Buttons

Start Button

T.ADJ Button

D-Pad

L Button

-----------------------------------

The rest of the document details which button combinations are required to use the advanced commands of this controller, as well as some warnings and general safe-usage instructions in the lower left.

If you're interested in a full translation, shoot a PM my way and we can talk.

@RetroJunkie
    I'll take a look and do a summary of the stuff you linked to later, time permitting.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

Hi RetroJunkie,

As promised, here's a quick overview of the stuff you asked about (just the gist for now I'm afraid):

--------------------------
    <Second-to-last Section>
    He's talking about all functions the Teradrive performs that other MegaDrive variants cannot provide, such as backing up the Mega CD Backup Cartridge, carrying over save games for other cartridges and so on. He also mentions how he's put together a couple of machines from spare parts he picked up here and there, but let one of them go to a new owner.

<Last Section>
    He provides the three applications: The Backup RAM Backup Program (catchy name!), Battery Backup Maintenance Program and Clock-Changer Program. In addition, he gives some basic setup and operating instructions to go with them. He goes on to state remind people that he can take no responsibility for damage caused through the use of these programs, and that people should only attempt them after understanding the risks. Then he rounds it all off by saying that there are plenty more programs to enjoy on the website.

If you need a thorough translation, just drop me a line and we can discuss the specifics.

Cheers!

11. SaturnHST

SaturnHST Spirited Member

PM sent

Also can anyone tell me what this text says:

[​IMG]

12. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

Hi SaturnHST,

While I can't be 100% sure without looking into it further, I think it says something like "Software-technology Management No. 137" and is referring to some sort of tool or other program. Do you have any more context?

Cheers!

13. Shane McRetro

That's perfect as always! Thanks for translating it so quickly. Wish I had the knack for understanding Japanese!
    Thanks again and until next time! :encouragement:

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Google chrome made a pretty good job of a lot of the text on that last page.

Enough to give you the jist anyway

15. Shane McRetro

I don't trust robots, they just seem a little too perfect...although some of the translations I was getting back... I just needed to confirm it was saying what it was saying it was saying... :congratulatory: Found it buried inside a TeraDrive archive inside a giant folder called TO SORT. That folder has way too many things in it. Making progress though!

16. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

Yeah, I know what you mean, RetroJunkie. I studied CAT tools and the tech behind Google Translate for a couple of years, and while it's all becoming more and more sophisticated, it just can't deal with anything beyond the words on the page. For really straightforward stuff, like lists and parts manifests and so on, they tend to output pretty usable content, but input a section from a novel and the results are laughable!

Anyway, drop me a line if you need anything else looked at. I'm quite intrigued by the TeraDrive now!

17. djandy76

djandy76 Peppy Member

Hi SaturnHST,

My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to make a more-detailed translation for the functions of that Saturn Gamepad. It's not everything, but should give you enough info to be able to use it as intended:

<Program Function>

1. Real-time Registration

<Activate>
    1. Press the "PROGRAM" button once (the "REAL" LED will start flashing slowly).
    2. Press the Program-execution button (1, 2, 3) you wish to program (the "REAL" LED will start flashing quickly).
    3. Perform the game technique you wish to register to the button.
    4. Finally, press the "PROGRAM" button once again to complete the operation (the "REAL" LED will go out).

<Usage>
    Press the Program-execution Button (1, 2, 3). (The "REAL" LED will illuminate when this function is in use.)

2. Command Registration

<Activate>
    1. Press the "PROGRAM" button twice (the "PRG." LED will start flashing slowly).
    2. Press the Program-execution button (1, 2, 3) you wish to program (the "PRG." LED will start flashing quickly).
    3. Input the button combination you wish to register (simultaneous button presses can also be registered). For example, press the A and B Buttons at the same time.
    4. Finally, press the "PROGRAM" button once again to complete the operation (the "PRG." LED will go out).

<Usage>
    Press the Program-execution Button (1, 2, 3). (The "PRG." LED will illuminate when this function is in use.)

<Rapid-Fire Function>

*Cannot be used with the D-Pad or Start Button

<Activate>
    a. Press and hold the "Rapid-Fire" Button and press the button you wish the function to work with. (The "ON" LED will illuminate.) After that, pressing the button you nominated will result in a rapid-fire effect.
    b. Press and hold the button you wish the function to work with again, then press the Rapid-Fire Button too to lock the rapid-fire effect on. Once engaged, you do not need to hold the buttons down. (The "ON" LED will be off, and the "HOLD" one illuminate.)

<Deactivate>
    Hold down the "Rapid-Fire" Button once more and the "ON" and "HOLD" LEDs will go out.

<Automatic Registration for Pre-Programmed Commands>

Some commands have been pre-programmed into the controller for certain games.

<Activate>
    1. Press and hold the "START" Button, then press the "PROGRAM" Button.
    2. The "REAL" and "PRG." LEDs will begin flashing quickly at the same time.
    3. Press one of the buttons from the chart below which corresponds to the command you wish to register.
    4. The "REAL" and "PRG." LEDs will go out and the process is complete.

<Slow Function>
    Slows down the speed of the game.

<Activate>
    1. In Normal Mode, press "SLOW" to activate slow mode.
    2. Press it again to return to Normal Mode.

<Reset Function>
    Reset all programmed commands to factory settings.

<Activate>
    While holding the "START" Button, press the "T.ADJ" Button for three seconds or more. After that, the "ON" and "HOLD" LEDs will light up momentarily and the reset is done.

Let me know if anything doesn't function as expected.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  18. Shane McRetro

Haha, so you should be the TeraDrive is quite a strange piece of technology :smile-new:
    One of my colleagues at work has somewhat of an understanding of the Japanese language and pointed out the translations can't translate the sentence structure.
    Seems to make sense after some reading some of the messes that the robot translators do!
    Anyway thanks again!

19. Max_XX_ou

Is someone can translate my japanese text ?

20. Shane McRetro

I can see some to's and shi's, oh there's some no's as well... I am not very good at this... Especially when it comes to getting meaning out of it! :highly_amused:
    Sorry Maxou!