NOTICE The state of the site and us mods

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by Yakumo, Feb 12, 2018.

1. stoker25

stoker25 github.com/emoose

Very sad to hear, Assembler has always been one of the best resources for the more obscure video-gaming topics, I couldn't say how many times I've seen people on other websites say "go check assemblergames", it'd be a huge loss if the site can't be saved. I hope the admin comes to his senses soon, because he has something very special here.

Thanks for all the hard work the mod team has put in over the years, and hopefully for the years to come!

The Assembler subreddit was pretty active back when the site disappeared for a few months, if anything happens I'm sure you'll be able to find where to go from there: https://www.reddit.com/r/assemblergames/

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Just in case, is there a way to dump all of our PM/Conversations to file for archival? I'd be fine with a wget command line with cookies if need be.

3. pato

pato Resolute Member

Hopes everything get better, i've been here for years and it's just sad the way things are going, having the site dead would also kill a part of my entertainment.

4. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

I do hope Kevin is okay. He never was in the best of health and seemed pretty down in recent years.

Best case scenario would be giving some mods actual admin status and letting us be community run.

5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

This is the kind of transparency the site needs, I applaud the mods for clearing things up.

I can only hope Kev starts feeling better and this site starts getting back to its old self. It's a great resource and all the information that goes through here is truly invaluable.

DeChief, karsten and Yakumo like this.
  6. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

It was actually karsten who wrote the post but we all share his opinion.

karsten likes this.
  7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I think this is exactly what needs to happen, and I don't understand why Kevin is so reluctant to do that, considering he has a lot of problems he's dealing with all the time. Why wouldn't he let other people help him? He could still retain all of his privileges, and he could revoke whatever extra privileges he would give to the mods for whatever reason he wants.

I also think that, given that nothing has changed since the site went down, the exact same thing could easily happen again. And I think that if that happens again, it would pretty much kill the site for good.

As far as the fact that the site has slowed down a lot, I'm not sure what can be done about that. I think the site being down for so long really hurt its reputation. I wonder if some people don't even know that the site is online. Maybe there's some way to let people know.

Thanks, Yakumo, for posting this and letting us know what's going on. And thanks to you and all the mods for the work you do for the site.

DeChief likes this.
  8. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

It is a shame that it had to come to this, but we have been getting increasingly frustrated at the situation, being powerless to deal with issues that arise, and Kevin's response to past issues and lack of transparency - with both users and staff alike.

Kev last spoke to us two months ago, deciding to "have it out" with us, pointed out he'd be away for 2-3 weeks and then gave us a bit of a motivational speech. Once again leaving things unresolved. He hasn't come back. "Admin" has logged in several times since - in December, January and last on 1 February. Back in October, he made a post in which he told staff thing like:
    In that thread, he did accept the blame for issues, and asked us for suggestions. This seemed like a positive step - progress. We gave some, we made comments that warranted replies. Borman told him to "cut the crap" and pointed out that Kev = Admin in November. 4 days later, Kev posted that he's back home from a job and would go through our posts. He didn't ever reply to any of them... only making the confrontational post three weeks later.

For anyone who has been around any length of time, you'll know Kev's quirks, just like you'll know any of ours. He says things with good intentions at heart, but doesn't always get round to actioning the intentions. Hey, we're all guilty of that sometimes! Kev confided in me some of his personal situation, and he's been through a lot - health being just one thing that is, of course, more important than a website. He has been a friend for 20-odd years, and I respect him and will say no more on the matter, other than I wish him the best. I am genuinely concerned, as his forgetfulness has got a lot worse of late, so I hope all is going well for him.

Some of you know some of the issues I've faced with the site going down. I had server access and, as Kev was in hospital, had to deal with trying to ascertain what had happened, if there was any infection and also setting up a spare server anew. I hold my hands up - I borked the spare server a few times due to some quirks with the server! Things were slow, though, as I often had to wait for Kev to carry out or approve the next move. Unfortunately, I had to decide whether to abandon the server as it was taking too long and pick up a very lucrative contract or keep the work up. I decided I couldn't leave Kev in the lurch, continued to work on the server and lost the contract. C'est la vie. It would have been a fair bit of stress and my health wasn't great, either... so I thought it's for the best. It meant I was living off my credit card for a time. Being a mod is a labour of love - you don't do it for financial gain and you have to do it in your spare time. Sadly, I was foolish and tried to get the server work done quickly so we could get the site up quickly, but limited and sporadic time talking with Kev meant it was drawn out. And Demon contributed a lot of hours advising me and trying to help figure out how the site got compromised and if any damage was done.

Now, I tell you this not for sympathy - I shouldn't have let the server admin task affect my personal life and finances. I tell you so that you understand, hopefully, that I don't bear a grudge and speak with malice. Kev messed Demon around. One day, he'd say he's going to contact him, the next he is wondering if he hacked the site. And then, the following day, he's wanting to EMPLOY him to sort things out! It was frustrating, to say the least. Eventually, things got a bit nasty between the two of them, with threats being made on both sides. This disappointed me, as a friend of mine had been used, discarded and left hurt. A week after Demon had a go at Kev, Kev then told the staff he was paying a Xenforo dev £160 to sort out the server settings and security.... the server I had taken many hours scrupulously setting up settings and security on (although Kev turned the site back on before I'd finished). I was left with a £1,800 credit card bill because the site had taken up all my time and energy... and some other guy is getting paid to do what I've already done. It was a kick in the teeth... not so much the money element, but not being trusted to have done it right or consulted about the decision, even. Still, it's not about me... the site is what's important. I just needed to focus less on the site, recover and earn some money. To be honest, had Kev offered to pay me for sorting the server out, I would probably have declined - he kept offering me computer parts as my laptop had died, but I said I was fine. It doesn't feel right to the other staff to accept payment for doing something for the site when they've all done so much and given their time for free.

Of course, the site still demanded more time. And then I was demoted and accused of leaking server documents, which Kevin TOLD ME to give to Demon. Again, that hurt - 20 years of friendship, and he doesn't trust me. Worse still, he didn't talk to me about it. So yes, I was angry, but still remained focused on getting the site back on track. Sadly, Kev made decisions without involving any of us - the whole selling the site and bringing in a (paid) admin team. He told us we had to run the site and was leaving... but he didn't. At the same time, we needed him to give us more instructions and iron out issues. Then he was condescending to the other staff. At that point, I was angry and told him what I thought... do what you want to me... if you don't trust me, it stinks, but whatever. Don't treat the staff like shit, though. We ALL have to work and earn a living. Months before that, I wanted to just walk away, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I love the site, and I respect my fellow mods and don't want to leave them in the lurch. And yet, even after all that, I still care about Kev as a friend.

I hope that this thread, including what I've said, finally informs users of how things are. It's meant to be factual, not accusatory. I hope Kev actually listens to what we say, because it seems to have fallen on deaf ears up to now. Kev - you can't leave us to do everything without fixing a lot of stuff, or relinquishing control. You've made promises, but not kept them. Either sit down and go through what needs doing, or pass control to someone who will.

Thanks to karsten for coming up with something that we all wanted to say, and Yakumo for just going for it when we were all discussing the finer points for weeks.... and the rest of the team for their input and support. We all want to see the site survive, but it's treading water with its head barely above the surface. We want Kev to wake up and do something about it.

9. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Holy shit man I only knew about a sliver of this. Thanks for the extra info. I really hope things are better here in the future for you and staff. This site and its data/staff are still very important. I hope Kev knows this.

DeChief likes this.
  10. N!NJA

N!NJA ßanned

Wasn't aware of that sorry. Credit should go to you all :)

@retro holy crap I didn't know all of that such as the laptop :(, that or I actually forgot something for once.

Kev if he ever deals with this should do a system similar to how I run OG, I own the site however all staff decide the outcome by voting. If we want a new theme, all staff vote. If we want to ban a user, all staff vote. We'll discuss each subject at hand and the top vote is the final choice.

I've also made it so I have a lesser roll, however I still have the power to prevent anything that can harm the site. All staff are Admin's however anything that can damage the site is revoked. The only thing I do is fix the site (or break it??) and apply updates along with helping users as needed. The admin's are the front end as should be here on AG.

I've honestly felt this system works best, yeah we do have some issues but compared to the issues you guys face it's nothing.

DeChief likes this.
  11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

How the hell did I miss this thread.

MBMM, TheNew, DeChief and 1 other person like this.
  12. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka Staff Member

Just dropping a word on how important was retro to all of us in those times... he managed to connect to us when we mods were mostly incapable of contacting eaxh other and gave us at least some infos on the situation at hand that allowed us to keep up and understand.

Not to mention the massive effort he placed from his side to get things rolling again.

svotib, Johnny, Taijigamer2 and 3 others like this.
  13. N!NJA

N!NJA ßanned

Without Retro things would have been way worse then they were already. Kev didn't show much care when I called him out about this.

This is a PM I sent him on XenForo.com, Not one to disclose such things but I feel it should be seen by everybody.

[​IMG]

The title was regarding him not even saying thank you for the help I put in. Something I still have yet to get and highly doubt I'll ever get. It's all I ever asked out of Kevin. even when I heard about him wanting to hire me I said I'd do it free for a thank you.

14. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

There's a lot of good insight here. Although I haven't been a registered member as long as most the users here (despite how vocal I often am/used to be, sorry...) I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're extremely grateful for you moderators being so transparent right now, and for all the work you've done/have been doing.

I don't know about you guys, but this is the main thing that scares me. The site cannot risk yet another breach resulting in such an elongated period of downtime, at least not for the next 6 months or so as users continue to gradually return.

And to Kevin:

This is your chance. There's been a lot over anger and frustration directed at you over the past year, and no doubt that's been tough and not something you should have had to deal with in the first place, especially considering you've had important IRL things to worry about. But I hope you can see where it was all coming from. Retro and the others have known you for a very long time in internet-years and you should consider them your friends. They're here to help, not hinder.

Relinquishing absolute control of the site in exchange for a team of moderators who will be reinvigorated after seeing significant progress and dedicated to actively growing this community and videogame preservation as a whole, doesn't seem like a bad trade, right? Because in this situation that's a potential outcome, and a pretty fantastic one at that (in my opinion).

I'd also like to take this time to apologise. I'm sorry for the things I've said to you and about you, and I hope that you'll forgive me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  15. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

...and that's all you have to say? Haha.

DeChief likes this.
  16. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Many people can guess what I have to say with moderate accuracy given my perspective while it was down and while people were fighting.
    But I am genuinely surprised I didn't see this thread until it was linked my way.

17. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

I was pointed towards this thread by a friend and decided to sign in for the first time in several months, I haven't been coming on here on purpose as I really didn't agree with how the site was being run. The announcement of Kev stepping down and an Admin team seemed promising but over-moderating, forcefully stripping down the moderator team, and then lying about having an "Admin Team" was despicable to me. Due to all of that I stopped logging in here and stayed dedicated to using a competitor site.

I'm happy to see everything finally get aired out on AG itself, from the mod team themselves. There needs to be major changes, there needs to be more power and trust given to the moderator team. You have loyal moderators here who have proven themselves time and time again, they are here to help. Use them and trust them!

I would air out a lot more but much of what I want to say has been said and restated multiple times. After this post I'll log out and go into hibernation again, I'll return if/when some positive community changes occur here.

18. TreblaYevrah

TreblaYevrah Site Supporter 2014,2015

I've never been an "active" user here, but this community has always been very kind/welcoming to me. It's the only video game forum I've ever bothered to post on in the last few years.

Nothing I can say about what goes on behind the curtain, but I wish everyone well, and hope the site manages to somehow keep pushing forward for a while longer.

19. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Peppy Member

Am I the only one that misses Shoutbox?
    Was there a reason it was scrapped?

fate6 and DeChief like this.
  20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The software was unsafe, old, and unsupported. IIRC retro explained it in the feedback subforum.

I miss it too, but security > convenience.