NOTICE The state of the site and us mods

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by Yakumo, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

Note : this thread is posted on behalf of all us mods here at assemblergames.com

Dear users, oldtimers and newcomers. Dear helpful backers. Many of you may have been aware of the previous, current situation. Some may have got an opinion, or understood what is happening.

Many are left clueless as the forum are inevitably slowingdown, crawling.

It's has finally come the time for us mods to speak and frankly to tell you users about what is going on.

First things first. Most of us mods have been here since the oldroarvgm times. It's like what? 17 years? Well, in any case this was a beautiful thriving community, a place where one would be certain of finding the knowledge for any obscure Vg related, game, peripherals, console, devkit...

Hundreds of people came here thanks to the museum; something invaluable and unique that brought us where we are now.

We mods were here all the time, doing our best to keep the place clean, provide new content, welcome users, fixing issues 99% of the users were unaware of.

That is the work of a Mod anyway, so not a big deal! As the time passed and things evolved (with moving from roarvgm) there always was a feeling that things would keep being exciting and well run on the long term. there was a "vision" of greatness if you will.

At times feelings are mixed.

We lost the museum, but got a better environment. We had a proper private section and managed to get a release for Geist Force, but at the same time we had a massive failure with the Acclaim project. We had a wiki but it had to be pulled out. We had shoutbox, social medias used improperly for the most part (ahem twitter), then we had to lose the shoutbox.

It's been years of going around erratically. I can really say we mods feel that we are now "less" than we were 10 years ago.

We as mods always did the best possible to make the site go on through all and any issues. But things around us are changing. We are dragging behind. So much potential is currently wasted.

But we always kept our place as Squires to the Forums. I say WE because we all agree on this open letter. All of us i reiterate. It took us a very long time to make up our minds and get this allout.

But we all agreed that all the users must be aware of what is happening behind the curtains. We are taking a gambit. We risk to be pointed at as "ungrateful" or betrayers. But we are doing this for the community, to get a reaction, to make things improve.

What made us move was the extended forum's downtime. And the situation AFTER it.

I guess 99.99% of people here know or suspect that Kevind and Admin are one and the same, and that there's no "admin team" unless you mean Kev+his mods that is :D (let's have a smile here for once).

What most of you do not know about is that even us mods were left in the dark for most of the downtime time. It was very fortunate that retro and a few others of us had a way to contact each other. So you can all imagine the page bombing and not getting even a single mail or informations.

I mentioned retro, because he was the most precious of us. Without him and his efforts things may have been even worse and he took a lot of blame for some course of actions he was asked by Kev to take in the middle of the mess. Kev in that time gave a very wide amount of contrastating signals. We think due to some fear of data loss, or for the hack or maybe he was sick and confused by his prescriptions. No matter that since we WON'T get in details about it.

During/after the downtime these were the informations/communications/signals we had from Kevin:

Talk of selling the site and new management etc. was as much of a surprise to us as we weren't involved in any decisions or warned about it.

We were then told that Kev has hired a team to administer thesite, but we will continue to "run" it.

Kev had said he wouldn't be around, but continued to return... and it was obvious from his sporadic communications that there was no admin team, which he later admitted, due to lack of funds.

Whilst we suggested a number of changes and things that needed doing to the site and Kev said in November that he was back and looking through our messages, nothing has changedas far as we are aware.

However, he did introduce new rules without consulting us or even telling us he had done so.

Kev's words to us were "Don't be demoralized. I am still fully committed to the site."

...but at the same time he told us he was busy in December andthat "I have a job, have to work. You're supposed to be here when I am not around, removing spam, etc.", which we didn't really appreciate.

Since then, he hasn't logged in with the account he made to communicate with staff and hasn't given us his contact details. The admin account continued to log in until three weeks ago.

WE NEED TO POINT OUT THAT we can't change ANYTHING on the site - we can't change permissions, fix buttons, installXenforo add-ons , reinstate chat, add forums, change user names, help you recover a forgotten password, or even look up your e-mail address. We can lock threads and edit, delete,merge or move posts and threads, plus we can warn or ban users. That's about it.

In short we are now garbage men :D yet when the times were dire we were left holding the baby and Kevin's decision not to tell users about things such as hacks, the downtime and the admin situation. The site always had a pretty open and honest policy, whilst being respectful of other users... and we feel Kevin's decision was neither open, honest or respectful to usand more over the USERS.

We are currently losing ourselves. We are currently Rotting.

2. Dracarys

Dracarys Rapidly Rising Member

Thank you for letting us know what is going on behind the scenes. This was a great community and it is sad to see what it has become recently.

People want someone to blame and it is easy to take it out on the mods when things are bad.
    The situation has to change but nothing can be done without the admin taking action. I believe you are doing your best under the circumstances.

Thank you all for keeping the site alive despite the recent events.

Traace, DeChief, Zeigren and 2 others like this.
  3. system

system Rising Member

Thank you, Yakumo.
    I wish you and the rest of the mod team luck in your current state

DeChief and Yakumo like this.
  4. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rising Member

Feeling the same as Dracarys, thank you Yakumo for letting us know and thanks to all Mods for doing all you can do to keep things as best as possible.

Yakumo likes this.
  5. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka Staff Member

It was time for things to be stated and explained

DeChief, james2452 and Dracarys like this.
  6. Dracarys

Message from Demon:

XboxSurgeon, DeChief, Zeigren and 5 others like this.
  7. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

Im not an oldtimer here, but I was shocked when the site was down...and read into all these matters about Kevin.
    It is indeed very sad, that such a great community is in such a...state...I can feel it. :'(

But as long as this site is alive, Im looking forward to great releases, awesome interviews and eye opening screenshots, from all the hidden archives out there.

Thank you for your support, mods ! :'D

8. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka Staff Member

I just want to stress that this is the feeling of all of us mods and shared equally. Incidentally i wrote most of the text abome myself (this may explein the so-so english lol).

Concerning Demon dropping by here, as long as he won't get in personal details or flaming arguements i would have no issues with him personally. I actually have a feeling we might owe him some excuses to be honest.

DeChief, Zeigren, mairsil and 3 others like this.
  9. Dracarys

I'm sure he'd like to drop by but he's been banned and the mod team doesn't have the tools to unban him from what I understand. That's why I had to paste his message here. He can be reached on OG or Discord if you want to discuss.

jakeeeenator likes this.
  10. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

We owe Demon very little, as we werent the ones attacking his reputation, that is on Kevin. I think us moderators have done the best that we can in a tough position, and trying to keep things afloat. I know Ive been as honest as I can with everyone in chats and everything else.

Now is not the time to meme this place up. AG has an important place in gaming and game preservation, even if that has gotten away from people as of late, for the reasons stated above. Either Kevin can be here, or he can't.

I do recommend having contacts or ways to contact those that you care to outside of the site, be it on OG, Discord, Twitter, Tout, whatever. I've taken what steps that I can to ensure the public facing content is preserved should anything happen, but all your messages are ultimately up to you to save. I don't think we are to that point yet, but be safe.

We only do this out of caring for the community, not to attack Kevin. We're all deeply concerned not just for the site, but for his own well being.

HEX1GON, DeChief, Zeigren and 8 others like this.
  11. N00ByBo0

N00ByBo0 Rapidly Rising Member

Very shame to see this site most likely go. Can someone please direct me to any site that document, research, showcase, and anything that this site used to do regarding prototypes? This is literally the only site I lurk regarding prototype stuff, and I don't know where to go to when that disappears..

I know of Hidden Palace and The Cutting Room Floor, but these are more or less release places, I also want showcase and whatnot.

Thanks to all the mods that kept this place alive as long they could! Shame it died as soon the long ass downtime happened, and then the drama after

12. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Thank you for sharing this info with us @Yakumo.
    I personally do not trust that the site will be around forever at this rate as Kevin has not been around or explained what was going on with him and the future of the site. And since the mods have limited control he can just decide one day to shut it down and that would be that.

I think the best thing he could do to solve all these problems is either: sell the site to someone who will be around. Or: start becoming active again and let people know what his plans are.

Also as I'm sure some of you know I'm very against taking away editing rights from users but that's another story.

I do want to end this by saying that I appreciate all the staff here (I also chatted with @Johnny a while back, he's good people). And I hope things work out here one way or another.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  13. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

The other alternative to this site is I know is Obscuregamers.com. I'm an admin there and I can say that so far it's doing pretty good and we have a decent size community (especially on Discord). You are more than welcome to check it out.

Getta Robo, element18592 and N00ByBo0 like this.
  14. N!NJA

N!NJA ├čanned

So I joined again knowing my fate will surely be a ban once Kevin see's I made a dupe. I'm not here to stir drama and will accept my ban once Kev's back.

I want to thank all staff here for doing their jobs. you really don't deserve this. More so you @retro I honestly feel how you got treated was really nasty. Being Kev's friend for so long and you got treated this way was super uncalled for.

I hope he comes to realize he consented to everything you done and to files sent to me. I doubt it, but I hope so for your sake. you're bigger part of this site then I could ever be.

I hope AG doesn't fade into the depths of the internet. It's one of a kind and can never be fully replaced. yes, coming from me who has a site with a similar goal. I know Borman got archive.org to save the site, along with me doing a wget and the-eye doing the same. but this could never replace the forum itself.

All of the staff here have done amazing jobs over the years, Yukumo, I remember PM'ing you in 2008 about those Sonic GD-R's for DRX. I even remember sending a PM to a member instead of Karsten I think it was.

Borman, well I don't think anything needs saying here. He's really made preservation magical for many people and now has job many could only dream of. (I know I'm super jealous.)

As for my actions against Kev, they were uncalled for I should never have snapped as hard as I did with him but I felt used as I was never thanked for the weeks of my life I helped Retro trying to get AG back online. I should never have trolled him in posts and I really should have never called him the words I did after he threatened to ban me for it.

The threats back were really childish as well as my thread, I sent him a private message on XenForo.com itself asking to resolve and instead I was threatened with legal action, He then banned me from reddit giving me no ways to explain what happened.

I really do hope Kev comes to see I was never the enemy I've always wanted to help this site become the best. I only made my site out of frustration at how AG was ran and how staff and users were used. It became the platform for when AG went down to try and keep this very community alive.

I also hope Kev comes clean with the 2016 password reuse attack and the 2017 hack. Users deserve to know the truth and hiding it only harms the community more. Users had personal information taken and Kev could have prevented it by emailing affected users. Instead I had to beg Retro to post his thread as he couldn't do much else. I even suggested forced password resets but nothing happened.

As someone paranoid beyond anything with security I felt unsafe using the site. We never got to the bottom of how the site was compromised, I had to guess what the hacker done by access logs which used a custom sort of masking on the urls so we couldn't see what they actually done.

Kev, Please get the proper help with your medical issues! and for the love of god please get someone fit to run the site. your staff are hurting here along with the greater community. AG needs to thrive again and get the preservation meaning back out there.

Regards,
    Damien/Demon

15. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Very good post, Mods. Thanks for the transparency and we appreciate everything you do to keep this site up and running. If there's anything at all I can do please let me know.

DeChief and Yakumo like this.
  16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Thanks to the mod team for the clarifications, and to Damien for showing maturity with his apologies.

I too am worried about Kevin. As bad as this is for us, I'm sure it's a really bad situation for him too.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but most of all of the current problems would be fixable if Kevin would give server admin rights to a moderator (or a select few). He could still keep ownership of the site and manage the big picture, but the mod team could still fix problems and get things done. As an analogy, Kev would be CEO and someone in the mod team would be CTO.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    darcagn, DeChief, Zeigren and 3 others like this.
  17. Stipo360

Stipo360 "That Dead Rising Guy"

I regret making such a big hassle out of "Editing Threads" now that I've learned how little can be done about it, or anything..
    Thanks for keeping this site Alive, Mods. Hopefully one of you could obtain site ownership and keep this place rolling. :cool:

18. notataco64

notataco64 Rising Member

19. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Special thanks and my humble bow goes out to the mods that worked hard to keep this place alive and everybody that contributes to this amazing site. I feel like I grew up here, so it will always be one of my homes. You all rock!

karsten and Yakumo like this.
  20. Arcadia

Arcadia Rising Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep hoping this site keeps on living, seeing as it has a plethora of information about a topic not many sites care about.

Respect to the mods, and a friendly reminder to Kev: It's alright to ask for help when things feel tough.