The Sega Fish Life is being worked on!

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Dracarys, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Dracarys

Dracarys Rapidly Rising Member

Our goal is to document and share everything we can about the Fish Life. We are still working on it haven't haven't yet discussed in what way that will be done. I would definitely want to see it properly exposed in the museum but that is not my decision to make. This is one of many ongoing projects and will take some time before it's complete.

In any case, I'll post updates on here when we are ready to share more information ;)

SiZiOUS likes this.
  2. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Most interesting thing popped up on AG in months! Good work!

MBMM and Dracarys like this.
  3. Dracarys

Dracarys Rapidly Rising Member

Big update!

It took us some time to get the Fish Life running properly. We could see it turning on and the disc was spinning but it was impossible to get a picture and the sound was garbled. We inspected everything but couldn't see any issue. We were very worried.

[​IMG]

Hopefully a member of the museum found the issue, that we had completely missed! Small repairs were done and lo and behold, it works!

Video can be seen here:
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/986492134730686466

We were able to find a touch screen more or less compatible with the unit and played with it for a while.

A menu can be accessed using buttons behind the unit.

[​IMG]

The Fish Life is also capable of running regular Dreamcast games by disconnecting a cable on the motherboard, but we have yet to try the controller ports that are inside the unit, as there are no external ones.

I also made a scan of the disc itself, so that you can finally see what it looks like. It is the Amazon version, one of the 5 games released.

[​IMG]

There is still more information to be shared, so be sure to follow this thread!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. LuizNai

LuizNai Spirited Member

Awesome news, excited to see more of it!

5. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

Sega fish life:

A lot has happenend in the last few months. First of all, we were able to dump the game, flash et BIOS. Thanks to @Laurent for providing the tools necessary to dump the game.

The BIOS and the flash were dumped directly from the Fish Life unit using NetBSD and the serial port. The BIOS is a regular 1.01d version, only the flash makes the device special (on top of the touch and voice recognition capabilities). Credit for this go to the staff at the museum.

We then contacted some members of the community to help us make the game work on emulators, do some reverse engineering and help us make the best out of this opportunity. As you can see, they were extremely helpful

https://mobile.twitter.com/museebol...o/iframe/twitter.min.html#1016253708701765632

On top of that, an English translation of the game has been made!

Big thanks to @SiZiOUS @japanese_cake and @-=FamilyGuy=- for the time spent on this project.

This is not over and there are yet more surprises to come

6. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

7. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Do you mind telling us a bit more about the flash image?

8. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

We give you all informations we found and all dump during his release

TerdFerguson and Getta Robo like this.
  9. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

This is an interesting request as the Fish Life device has a touch screen, and maybe we'll find the fact that touch screen is maybe a special Maple controller...

Maybe someone at the Musée Bolo can run the MapleTest binary provided above?
    But this request ask to create a bootable disk and see if the Fish Life can run them. I can create a selfbootable disk but not test myself as I'm in France and the Musée Bolo is in the Switzerland :)

TerdFerguson likes this.
  10. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

I'd say there is 2 probable ways - Maple FT9 "pointing function" device Tablet subtype, or some ELO-compatible touch screen connected via serial (SH4 SCIF port).

I'm personally interested to implement support for this "game" in emulator (Demul).

TerdFerguson likes this.
  11. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

Hello. It would be stellar if you could get the touch screen to be emulated. We do not have the original touchscreen of the Fish Life but we have tested with a uncalibrated 3M touchscreen and the software was reacting positively (eventhough it was far from perfect).

TerdFerguson likes this.
  12. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

Sorry I was wrong, it's not necessary to create a selfboot disk for the MapleTest executable, as the output of the program is sent back to the PC client through the serial/ethernet connection. So if the program is run without an attached client, a simple blank screen will appear...

You need to download the MapleTest binary here then execute it on the Fish Life through the serial port with dc-tool. But if the touch screen already uses the serial port, this can be a problem. I don't think there is a G2 bus on the Fish Life for connecting a BBA...

TerdFerguson likes this.
  13. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

its a shame this went dark. maybe the touch screen inputs can be found by the maple bus after all, big homebrew potential if true