The Real Sega Pluto

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Super Magnetic, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Super Magnetic

Super Magnetic Rising Member

If I did get my hands on a Pluto disc, I'd definitely be interested in trying it out. If anyone has one on hand, please PM me.

2. CoolMod

CoolMod Peppy Member

Heh, when paypal was in located in Mountain View, I remember seeing armed guards and tons of security outside their building. (And Mountain View is 100% safe) Guess some people did crazy things lol

3. Dreamcastmaster

Dreamcastmaster Active Member

My Contact has replied to me he offered to talk to his ex colleagues in Sega Japan that worked on the hardware side about Pluto.

"Thanks for your e-mail. Coincidently I had chance to have drink with key member of Sega at that time 1997 to 2000.

To be honest, they are hard to rember as Pluto was really short term project name and it never become official project in Sega."

Sorry it's not more information. Actually now he's talking to me I should find out what he actually did for Sega when he worked there, he did have important sounding job titles.

4. onza120

onza120 Site Supporter 2014

Wow now that looks really good, only 2 made your lucky!

5. Super Magnetic

Super Magnetic Rising Member

Interesting insight, Dreamcastmaster. Yeah, I get the feeling this never was quite in the product pipeline, but the fact that they were making prototype devices says it was at least being considered.

By the way, I'm still trying to work out a time to open the case -- it's been a crazy week, but I'll let you all know when the time comes.

6. Sienar

Sienar Robust Member

Oh, you still plan to open it up?

Excellent!!!!

7. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  8. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Pluto's #01 auction ended a few hours ago, with the reserve price don't met. I hope there is going to be a combined effort from various communities in order to purchase it and properly archive it as part of our history, and not in some basement from some filthy rich guy who didn't know how else to spend his fortune.

9. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

I'm a speed demon with the Saturns now! They've got so many damn chips on their boards...
    But it does take time and multiple photos to get a decent photo without blur, especially in low light.
    I don't have no fancy light box, while it would be a great idea... I just don't have the effort in me... yet!

Either way, whether you choose to open it or not, we thank you for bringing The Pluto to light!
    Of course if you do manage to get it open, we'll be drooling nearby! :encouragement:
    Thanks Super Magnetic! :loyal:

10. Sektor

Sektor Rapidly Rising Member

$7600.00 didn't meet the reserve price, so now we wait for the relisting.

11. darkado

darkado Rapidly Rising Member

what a great thread! rip monkfish

12. shifted

shifted Robust Member

Fantastic to see, shame it didn't reach production - much like many things SEGA had in the works.

To have worked for SEGA back then.. would have been great!

13. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

im wondering if they ever had an updated dreamcast design in the works

14. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  15. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I guess if they released the Dreamcast like that most likely would've stayed with us. Since everyone ran for the Playstation 2 because it could play DVDs.

16. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

It must have been a tough choice for Sega - either wait a year or two and use DVD's instead of the GDRom drive - winning over the home video market, as the Ps2 did - or release early and get into the market before Sony.

I wonder what would have happened if they had waited a year or two?

(sorry to go way off topic here but staring at that picture Druid II posted above has got me thinking!)

Also, you have to wonder how much that prototype system would fetch now? (even though it probably doesn't work) Or if it even exists anymore? It's possible it's been destroyed or thrown away...

17. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

agreed, dreamcast with DVD technology and beefed up specs would have been awesome (by beefed up i mean advances in graphics in the two years they could have waited) it would have been a beast. but thats straying off topic

i miss sega hardware :(

18. Brilliant2meNu

Brilliant2meNu Robust Member

A home Naomi 2 with DVD drive........ I just picked up my kit, Virtua Fighter 4 is one very impressive looking game for it's time.

19. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

well all knew the dc wouldn't feature games from "certain" software houses. Reason i would have never got one at lauch and many others did the same.

20. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I couldn't give a shit that EA weren't making games for the Dreamcast. In my mind that was a bonus. Less shitty sport games :D But then again, you need the casuals who only buy Fifa every year to buy your console as well.