The Real Sega Pluto

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Super Magnetic, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Well, what do you expect? We live in an era in which video game journalism in the means of "We feed you some news" is basically extinct. And the little bit that is still going on is so competitive that they just cannot afford to hire academics, professional journalists with experience. The average writer nowadays is some guy with zero writing experience who is only there because he used to dryclean the carpet and told someone he likes to play Xbox.

At least that is my impression... but it is frequently confirmed by how poorly articles over at IGN and Kotaku are written. Ineffective choice of words, humble use of grammar, confusing structure... it's evident that those "journalists" do not have the slightest idea what they are even doing. It's only one step above the average forum post, absolutely pathetic for a commercial news website.

2. Super Magnetic

Super Magnetic Rising Member

Yeah, that Kotaku article was one of the worst -- made it seem like I was part of their forum, and that I worked at Sega during a time that I never claimed to be there. Ah well.

I figured that the pics would get used without permission, and intended them as public domain anyway. That said, I didn't think the story would be so big, and I regret not cleaning up the device a little more! (The dust on the upper left of the top panel is killing me.)

The main thing that irks me about games journalism is this -- it's popular for fans of the medium to say that games are art (and I believe they are), but most journalists review games like they are straight-up products, instead of works of art. You can hardly read a review without it saying, "this game is not without its flaws," and ranting about "issues" like polygon seams and the like. If an art critic did a review of the Mona Lisa, would they focus on the cracks in the paint and the direction of the brush strokes, or on the work itself, and what feelings it's supposed to convey?

And don't get me started on the ones who say, "there is no such thing as a perfect game." *shudder*

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

A lot of these writers, really don't know much at all with gaming. I mean the only place I believe have good writers is EuroGamer. Kotaku NO idea how they got popular but they are the worst out of the lot.

If you want good articles, gaming magazines have great ones, been years since I've read one with the internet we have today but they were good around the 90's and 2000 - 2005

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. Sienar

Sienar Robust Member

Simply amazing! And here I thought the pluto was nothing more then made up rumors.

I could have sworn that I once stumbled across a patent filled by sega that showed this console, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Just a little quibble; you see mentions of brush strokes all the time in reviews of paintings.

5. protivakid

protivakid Spirited Member

Welp I'm out haha

Sounds great! Then you can stash it in your closet and we will never know any more about this machine :encouragement: .. from your previous posts you also come off as overly cautious.

6. Shinebi

Shinebi Dauntless Member

Isn't it "Ethernet to Parallel" (debugging) software of some sorts?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. Viewpoint

Viewpoint Newly Registered

Hadn't posted in a long long time but I seriously agree with not modding this system. Keeping it as original as possible is the best choice.

8. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Wait, so now there's two confirmed pluto consoles flying about... LOL!
    What a week! :biggrin-new:

9. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

I can't believe some people suggest to solder around on a system of which there are only 2 prototypes in the whole world. You guys must be insane!! Modding stuff is cool and all, but would you draw in an alternative Shakespeare-manuscript because you think your penises and stick figures add to the fun?

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  10. Xeauron

Xeauron Intrepid Member

Actually the argument was put forward that there's no soldering involved in this mod since it's a card which intercepts the CD-ROM routines via a solderless ribbon cable pass through. I argued against modding it myself since there are only two, only to have well rationed arguments thrown at me. I'm still against it :) , but hey it's not mine and Super Magnetic has stated he ain't going near it with a soldering iron or mod chip.

11. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  12. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

a croc clip to the 5v pin would do the trick or sourcing 5v from an external option like usb or whatever. but yeah the guy aint doing it so its not really relevant anymore, it was simply put forward as an option to boot a disc :)

and Shakespeare is over rated.

still this is a piece of technology a rare prototype yes, but still a piece of tech, i wouldn't compare it to art.

13. Unknown-Organization

Unknown-Organization <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Again, I just don't the see the point modding on Pluto system in the first place, neither modders would think the same aswell. That would be stupid If accidnetly shortcut the power supply and screwed for good.

14. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

hmm...
    I don't think it will be sold in this auction. The reserve price must be like 20k or more.

I remember seeing rare stuff fetching high prices and later opened another auction with the reserve price equal to the highest bid of the previous..

15. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I bet he thinks he will be smart and cancel it on the last day and sell it to avoid fees.

Little does he know ebay charges fees on canceled auctions now.

So he will get a rude $1000 surprise.

16. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Not on eBay, on a different auction site. I don't know how the fee are or how they handle canceled auction.

17. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

GameGavel usually is fee-free for people selling a big name item.

18. Super Magnetic

Super Magnetic Rising Member

Sienar -- Shows what I know! Guess I need to come up with a better analogy...

19. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Probably does, thats why he didnt use ebay.