The Real Reason why EA did not support the Dreamcast

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MitsuruX, Apr 23, 2009.

1. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

Definitely.

2. ddp72984

ddp72984 Peppy Member

I have to disagree with this a bit. Tekken, Air/Ace Combat and Ridge Racer were great, but the American games were pretty cool, too. Twisted Metal and MK3 were the highlights for me.

That's the one thing that I will give Sony for PS1 (while the PS2 launch window sucked), it was the first time I could remember that the US games actually matched the quality of the Japanese games. When I was a kid, I saw PSone as a new 3do/Jaguar, in which I expected it to fall on its face; never did I expect for it to succeed. Then again, I liked the 32X, so joke's on me.

3. PhreQuencYViii

I absolutely love the PS1. Some of the best games ever started on there.

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Looks like my comments are miss understood. I was talking about the Japanese market. Namco were the ones who sold Playstation in Japan while I still feel very strongly that if Sony didn't have Psygnosis then the system wouldn't have been as strong in Europe. Sony knew this as well which is why they bought them. Take a look at the UK PlayStation charts from that time and you'll see it was always full of Psygnosis titles in the top 10. Even the shit ones!

As for US PlayStation games,, meh is what comes to mind. Too much in yeh face shite and grimy looking games. US games started to become good in the 128bit age but that's just my opinion of course:nod:

Yakumo

5. PhreQuencYViii

It's wierd how the US actually has a lot of better games then Japan these days! There are a few US gems though from back then.

6. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

That's exactly what I think, many of the PS1 games that were once considered great have aged really badly, especially the Western developed ones. In contrast, most of the Saturn classics are still just as playable as ever. I'll take Nights or Guardian Heroes over Crash Bandicoot or Tomb Raider 2 any day :110:

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

this is true. Back in the NES to the end of Saturn and PlayStation days most US games were a load of crap but these days some really good stuff comes out of the US, especially if you're in to FPS or stuff such as War Craft. My personal collection is still pretty much Japanese and European titles but there are also quite a few US ones in there as well. In the olden days that would have been a rare site in my collection.

This is also true. Saturn stuff seem,s to have aged better in general than PSX stuff, especially the 2D gems. The other days I put Marvel VS Street Fighter on and was amazed at how good this game still looks. The loading times still shock me even today as in there are NONE!

Yakumo

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  8. PhreQuencYViii

Agreed, BUT Nights didn't exactly age wonderfully and Tomb Raider 2 wasn't US!

But yes, most 3D games from 1996 etc did not age that well, no matter how much you like old games they just didn't. Tomb Raider 2 was so kickass back then too... I still adore Crash 2 and 3. There still totally playable and fun. Crash 3 was one of the first games I remember having really nice water effects.

9. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

I know TR2 wasn't US, but I said "Western developed" and it was a perfect example of a game that was praised when it came out but now it's aged so badly it's practically unplayable. There were also a lot of crap games that were popular simply because they were in 3D like Toshinden and Croc :-(

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  10. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

I still enjoy the raw mechanics of Crash 1 though, and I just came off High Octane, although no one agrees with me when I say it's still fun!

11. PhreQuencYViii

I know, I'm just being a dick, lol. Tomb Raider didn't age but I still like it! However, I started liking it less when they used the same fucking engine 5 games straight. Good thing Legend was great....then they fucked it up again. Wonder what Square Enix will do with it. Hopefully not cover her with garments made of belts.

I think what sucks worse is when a game was way too far ahead of it's system...perfect example would be Perfect Dark and some others on the Nintendo 64.