GUIDE The many unusual types of TEST ps2.

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by ASSEMbler, Nov 1, 2005.

1. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Try patching a DVD disc ISO of a different game then try playing it. If that works, then it's likely your burning method is missing some step. As I mentioned burning PS1 and PS2 CDs is a bit tricky if you edit/mod them.

MartinSaysHuh likes this.
  2. MartinSaysHuh

MartinSaysHuh RPG Lover

I was able to find a solution for this. I ended up using a program called Loser 2000 Boot Editor. This added a TMD Boot screen(practically made the disc bootable). I'm pretty sure it's more technical than that, but I got it to work.

Thanks for all your help.

3. l_oliveira

TMD boot? You never told me you were trying to boot a PS1 GAME. Because you never mentioned the disc in question being a PS1 title I was telling you how to make a PS2 CD-ROM master disc bootable. PS2 games have the "PlayStation2" logo at the boot sector. PS1 games have the TMD "PS" logo and a text string which is shown at the screen on boot.

Anyway glad you found your solution (even though it was by your own.)

4. MartinSaysHuh

MartinSaysHuh RPG Lover

I'm very sorry. I thought I had written down that it was for a PS1(Specifically Tales of Phantasia). Again, thanks for the replies.

5. l_oliveira

But hey, you now know how to make good use of your unit. ;)

MartinSaysHuh likes this.
  6. shmaez

shmaez Member

So I recently picked up a model # DTL-H30001 S, AC120V 60Hz, NTSC U/C. Can someone explain to me what kind of capabilities this debugging station has? I bought it for $20 at a yard sale, hoping I found something pretty awesome to add to my collection.

7. l_oliveira

It can read PS1 and PS2 originals from any region (PS1 originals from PAL might give you headaches due to video system, though) , PS1 games in CD-R format, PS2 CD-ROMs in CD-R format (with MASTERDISC data added to it) PS2 DVD-R (with MASTERDISC data added to it) use network (from DISC) and for non HDD bootable HDD compatible games.

What it cannot:
    Boot from the harddrive (HDD OSD), boot from memory card (TDB Startup card), install HDD bootable content (PSBBN, PlayOnline viewer, FFXI, Nobunaga Ambition, PSBBN titles).

pool7 likes this.
  8. shmaez

shmaez Member

Thank you! Very helpful.

9. Gameboi64

Gameboi64 please find Gameboi64 somewhere else.

I've heard that that is due to there being no MagicGate encryption on TEST consoles. Is it that, or is it because the way that it interfaces with the HDD is different than with retail?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the T10k can install HDD bootable content, or at least install it and still run the game from disk (games that can improve load times by installing content to it).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  10. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

No, the way the HDD is used on a DEX is exactly the same. It's made to allow games to be tested on retail-like hardware, so everything is very similar.

You do not need MagicGate to interface with the HDD unit. By design, SCEI allowed developers to use the HDD unit without MagicGate and/or HDD DNAS, but those are required if any executables were to be stored on user-removable media (i.e. HDD unit).

Your TOOL should fail to work with content that uses the HDD DNAS to encrypt/decrypt content. All PlayStation 2 consoles support MagicGate, for at least authenticating memory cards. But not all will encrypt/decrypt content.

So it is very likely that your games do not store executable files on the HDD unit.

pool7 likes this.
  11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Just to be clear though, the PS2 Startup Card would need a magicgate encrypt/decrypt compatible system? Otherwise Ill just pick up a cheap 10000 unit.

12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Yes, it requires the ability to decrypt KELFs. Hence the supported models are the DTL-H101xx and DTL-H301xx.

pool7 and Borman like this.
  13. Gameboi64

So saying that, would games that install data on the HDD to speed up loading times not work, and the load times would be the same?

14. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

No. What you wrote earlier has two answers to it:
    1. Any software can use the HDD unit. DNAS and MagicGate are not related to HDD access itself.
    2. Any content installed there is not self-bootable because you are using a TOOL.
    Those games that allow parts of themselves to be installed onto the HDD very likely do not use MagicGate/HDD DNAS, unless the installed data on the HDD can actually be booted from the browser itself. HDD DNAS requires online connectivity too.

Hence... if your game does not use HDD DNAS and/or MagicGate, it should work.

pool7 likes this.
  15. Gameboi64

No, I meant the games that still load data from the hdd even when you don't boot it from the HDD. They install data and can be booted, but eve when you start it from the disk it can still use the data installed on the HDD. You don't have to even boot it from the HDD, just the DVD.

On a side note, I know the DEV9 plugin can detect when a T10k is being used, though, so that could be something that changes the circumstances of the whole thing I'm asking about.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  16. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Perhaps I elaborated a bit too much. Yes, those sort of games should still function fully.

The SSBUS I/F device is connected slightly differently on a TOOL (goes via AIF), as @SilverBull once said. So there is code to detect whether the console is a TOOL.

pool7 likes this.
  17. Gameboi64

Ohhh, that makes more sense now. It should have come to me earlier though, I just didn't read enough I guess.

Interesting. I never knew that.

18. l_oliveira

For any purpose, your PS2 TEST has exactly the same capabilities (regarding Magic Gate) as a PS2 TOOL.

Gameboi64 and pool7 like this.
  19. Gameboi64

Thanks for the information.

20. l_oliveira

You edited your reply within the time it doesn't show the post as edited but I got the notification with the full unedited text.

Due to SONY interest in pursuing DRM locked market in Japan using HDD DNAS they actually developed TEST units with MAGIC GATE capabilities. If you read the thread about types of TEST consoles you will see comments about those units. Units with an "1" on the middle of the model name (DTL-H1010x/DTL-H3010x and DTL-H5000x and newer) will have MAGIC GATE functionality enabled. Still their MAGIC GATE functionality operates slightly different than retail, thus allowing them to control what works or not on them.

Gameboi64 and pool7 like this.