GUIDE The many unusual types of TEST ps2.

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by ASSEMbler, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I have gone through all of my TEST units, and kept two of each for the archives. There are some very interesting differenced.

There is the DTL-H10000 I have only seen one of these, it reads debugger on the back. 100volts. AC
    DTL-H10000, PSONE ONLY unit, cannot do DVD media, DVDR or others.

DTL-H30000 I only have one, it was supposed to be used in korea only.

DTL-H30001 NTSC, 120 volts
    DTL-H30001H NTSC, 120volt, unknown difference
    DTL-H30001S Also, unknown. (S for simple was one explaination)

The 3000X series will either have no "TEST" on top, or will have it rarely with
    "TEST PS@" on the top. Some will have no PS2 or TEST on the top.

DTL-H30002 (pal, 220Volt)
    DTL-H30002U universal, 120 volt ac for some reason
    DTL-H30002U H (Sony factory modified model, units sent in to sony to have changes, unkown, have strange sony stickers replacing the normal "void if open") Some factory modded to work with 120 AND 220.
    DTL-H50001 No firewire
    DTL-H50001 S also, unkown.

If anyone has anything to add, or other types?

-ASSEMbler

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
    MrMario2011 likes this.
  2. Sally

Sally Guest

I've got a DTL-H10000 that does Jap PS2 retail games and any region PSX titles burned or not, and any master burned disk.

This little bugger has a strange story behind it. I bought it off of a guy who used to be the manager of the IT department of an advertising company. The company used to design webpages for sony's upcomming games. This was the first dev kit they were given, in order to take screen shots for the launch titles. I was told that it played US retail fine, but so far i've never had it boot one.

I haven't done much testing on my other 3 dev units, i'll report back on them sometime next week. One is a DTL-H300002 that i bought off of Assembler. The other is a DTL-H10000S that i haven't booted asside from making sure it turns on. And my last PS2 TEST is is a DTL-H30301 that i haven't even tested yet, the more i think about this one, the less sure i am of the model number... let me look this one up... it might be a 5 instead of a 3. I should have more info by next week.

You're forgetting the slimline models, but since i do very little ps2 coding, i've never really gotten to play around with those. As far as i'm aware, there should be two different models of the slimline dev units.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
  3. ASSEMbler

Never seen a debug slimline. Until I see one , I am in doubt.

4. bigsexyolli

bigsexyolli Gutsy Member

My Unit is a "Playsataion 2" Debugging Station DTL-H10000S.

It plays master-discs fine, as well as original japan. games all all kinds of psx games. Works fine with a mem card. Power supply: 220-240V 50/60Hz 50W

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  5. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Well it wouldn't make much sense to create a PS2 dev unit, containing all the PS2 hardware, only for playing PSX stuff would it? Unless, perhaps, for PS1 game compatibility testing?

6. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

I have never seen a DTL-H10000 that would only play PSone games. I'd be inclined to believe that the unit itself was defective if that was the case.

The majority of the DTL-H3000x series units are all labeled as TEST on the front/top (depending on orientation) of the unit. The style is the same as PS2. Newer units are labeled as TEST PS2, with TEST lettering being slimmer and in a different shade than the regular style.

Slimline units exist a plenty. If you want to see one, just go to a trade show. They were ALL over E3 and TGS this year. Lots of developers have them, though they're not usually used for development proper due to the lack of the firewire port. Instead they're used for demoing code to press/public/etc. so that the "current" model unit can be shown.

-hl718

7. Sally

Sally Guest

Alright, here's the lowdown on my debugging stations.

DTL-H30102U: 120V AC. PAL. Says "TEST" on top. Plays any retail PSX game in PAL format. Plays any burned PSX game in PAL format. Plays any retail PS2 game regardless of region. Plays burned PS2 disks only if patched as master. Comes with Sony Hard Drive. Comes with Network adapter. Offically supports network play. It's a system designed to test european games in america.

DTL-H30002U: 120V AC. PAL. Says "TEST" on top. Plays any retail PSX game in PAL format. Plays any burned PSX game in PAL format. Plays any retail PS2 game regardless of region. Plays burned PS2 disks only if patched as master. Only supports network adapter if you masterpatch the network adapter disk. I am not sure if it will support the official PS2 hard drive if the disk is masterpatched. It's a system designed to test european games in america.

DTL-H10000: 120V AC. NTSC/J. Says "TEST" on top. Plays any retail PSX game in NTSC format. Plays any burned PSX game in NTSC format. Plays only Jap retail PS2 games. Plays burned PS2 disks only if patched as master. Does not support network adapter or retail hard drive as it has a PCMCIA card slot instead of the expansion bay. This is a system sent to an advertising firm in america for them to take screenshots of the PS2 launch titles. This unit came with a prototype controller.

DTL-H10000S: 120V AC. NTSC/J. Says "PS2" on top. Plays any retail PSX game in NTSC format. Plays any burned PSX game in NTSC format. Plays only Jap retail PS2 games. Plays burned PS2 disks only if patched as master. Does not support network adapter or retail hard drive as it has a PCMCIA card slot instead of the expansion bay. I don't know the true origins of this console.

All of my debugging stations play PS2 games in whatever their native format is. For example, an american game plays in NTSC no matter the console, and a european game plays in PAL even on a Jap console.

After a side by side comparison, i can't see any difference between the DTL-H10000 and the "S" model except for the "TEST" on top. I almost wonder if the "S" models wern't given to the press so they would have a dev kit for reviews as well as a unit to take pictures of that resembled the final retail model.

If anyone has any questions, i'll be happy to answer them. I will be unable to provide any pictures of dev consoles because of legal reasons.

8. zappenduster

zappenduster Familiar Face

got a debuggin station here cant remember for what the "S" at the end stands i think region of sale or so

DTL-H30002S 220V pal with only ps2 as text on top unit is from the uk

9. ASSEMbler

Someone said it stood for "simple"

10. Golberg

Golberg Guest

I really don't think that the S stands for simple as my DTL-H30002S doesn't seem to have any limitations compared to a regular DTL-H3000* series console from what I have read. But I have not had a chance to test US or Jap games on it so I may be wrong.

On a side note, my console also says PS2 rather than TEST.

11. Sally

Sally Guest

Reading through some docs, i think i have the official answer for the "s". Consoles marked with the "S" will only retail games from their own region, but will still play master disks. The non s version will play any retail games. I'm going to have to try retail american games on my DTL-10000S again, it didn't work the first time (I lent it to a friend for a few days). The other, obvious difference is that the "s" say PS2 instead of TEST. If somebody has an "S" that doesn't use memory cards or play retail PS2 games, then their console is broken.

12. Golberg

Golberg Guest

This is what I believe are all the base models of TEST PS2s:

DTL-H10000
    DTL-H30000
    DTL-H30001
    DTL-H30002
    DTL-H30100
    DTL-H30101
    DTL-H30102
    DTL-H50000
    DTL-H50001
    DTL-H50002
    DTL-H70000*
    DTL-H70001*
    DTL-H70002*

*I am guessing that these would be the model numbers for the slim line debugging stations because the retail model numbers are SCPH-70000,1,2 etc. Who knows though considering that no retail model number corresponds to the DTL-H30100,1,2 series.

Within these base model categories there are letters placed after the model numbers:
    E = European model of a debugging station from a different region eg. DTL-H30101 E (US debugging station designed for use in Europe).
    U = US model of a debugging station from a different region eg. DTL-H30000 U (Jap debugging station designed for use in the US).
    J = Japanese model of a debugging station from a different region eg. DTL-H50001 J (US debugging station designed for use in Japan).
    S = There seems to be sketchy information on this but it seems that debugging stations with S at the end are only able to play retail games from the region for which they were made eg DTL-H30002 S (European debugging station that can only play retail games from Europe).
    H = Nobody seems to know what the H means but maybe it is supposed to be a custom made model.

I can't guarantee any of this information but I think that it is mostly correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2005
  13. Stone

Stone Enthusiastic Member

No, I have a DTL-H10000 (no S) and it will only play retail games from Japan.

[but it plays burned disks when patched as master, so I've got one of my housemates unlocking Sonic games on it right now :D]

Stone

14. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

Here is a Test system reference FAQ I was working on but I ended up getting sidetracked. Not all of it is confirmed but it should provide a good starting point.

PS2 Development Hardware and Accessories

*/**DTL-H10000 S / PS2 debug system (JP) - NTSC utilizing 120v power supply
    */**DTL-H10000 S U / PS2 debug system (US) - NTSC utilizing 120v power supply
    *DTL-H10000 / PS2 Test debug (JP) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    DTL-H30000 / PS2 Test debug (JP) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    DTL-H30001 / PS2 Test debug (US) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    DTL-H30001 E / PS2 Test debug (EU/AU) - NTSC system utilizing 240v power supply
    DTL-H30001 S / PS2 debug system (US) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    DTL-H30002 / PS2 Test debug (EU/AU) - PAL system utilizing 240v power supply
    DTL-H30002 U / PS2 Test debug (US) - PAL system utilizing 120v power supply
    **DTL-H30002 S / PS2 debug system (EU/AU) - PAL utilizing 240v Power supply
    DTL-H30005 / PS2 Test debug (??) - ??????????
    ***DTL-H30100 / PS2 Test debug (JP) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    ***DTL-H30101 / PS2 Test debug (US) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    ***DTL-H30101 E / PS2 Test debug (EU/AU) - NTSC system utilizing 240v power supply
    ***DTL-H30102 / PS2 Test debug (EU/AU) - PAL system utilizing 240v power supply
    ****DTL-H50000 / PS2 Test debug (JP) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    ****DTL-H50001 / PS2 Test debug (US) - NTSC system utilizing 120v power supply
    ****DTL-H50002 / PS2 Test debug (EU/AU) - PAL system utilizing 240v power supply
    DTL-H70000 / PSTwo Test debug (??) - ??????????
    DTL-T10000 / PS2 TOOL development system (1st ver)
    DTL-T15000 / PS2 Tool development system 2nd ver)
    DTL-T14000 / CD/DVD emulator for PS2 TOOL development system

* All 10000 series systems utilize a PCMCIA slot instead of an expansion bay
    ** All debug systems were region locked and labeled PS2 on the cover
    *** DTL-H30100, DTL-H30101, DTL-H30102 systems were packaged with the 40GB HDD and Network Adaptor
    **** All 50000 series systems do not feature an i-Link port

15. CJ!

CJ! Active Member

Forgetting 2

DTL-T10000H = TOOL w/ External HDD

and the T15k iirc was a network monitor used in conjunction with the T10K

16. ...CJ! as in CJPC by any chance?

17. zappenduster

zappenduster Familiar Face

iam not sure about my ps2 and burned discs since i only tested the german final fantasy x2 or so on the uk unit but it got delivered with a bunch of other cds gotta check out if some of them are cdrs

btw. had anyone a chance to open several of these units is there a hardware difference btw. the units that only differer in the last charakter or is the limitation done via bios/firmware ?

18. ASSEMbler

[​IMG]

My DTL-H10000S (not pictured) has no top marking, it just has a plain top.

19. Golberg

Golberg Guest

So what is the model number of the one with "TEST PS2" on it?

20. ASSEMbler

The korean DTL-H30000