The HL2 leak map pack documentation.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by oasiz, Feb 10, 2011.

1. oasiz

oasiz Member

Hello, I have just finished this baby today.

http://62.78.137.12/hl2beta.rtf

This text file contains a writeup/description on ALL the 1350~ leaked Half-Life 2 hammer files. Over Two years of work in here (You can see dates from the change log itself)

What is the map pack?
    Well roughly around when the HL2 was leaked during it's development a map pack was leaked as well, this contained level sources for various valve's projects, one of them being Half-Life2. This is basically the whole working directory for the employees, totaling over 1350 .vmf files. The maps span from around 2001 to 2003, naturally a lot got changed on the engine itself and you can see the gradual shift from a slightly more modern HL1 look to the look that the final game had.

So yes, this has it all, hydra stuff (even npc hydra), borealis, c17, testmaps, c17 busride, underground sewer maps, particle storms. You name it.
    All maps were individually opened in hammer, compared for changes between revisions (this could take more than 5 minutes per map), and then documented to the list.
    This kinda started as personal curiosity but I ended up writing everything down as it wouldn't really take that much more and would make a somekind of an index for these
    maps once and for all.

I seriously recommend getting the rather popular leak version (from somewhere) along with the world craft map pack that has the map source files, at least until I get screenshots done for these.
    If the editor crashes, switch to wireframe on the retail version's editor and then you can switch back to textured in the old editor, I guess it writes an illegal value for the "last default 3D mode", thus crashes it.

I will just copypaste stuff from the text file itself to here (taken from the introduction part)
    And some analysis that I have done on the cut areas:

Very sorry for the absurd formatting and the need to disable word wrapping, but this was the most convenient way to do this stuff for me without resorting to stuff such as *gasp* excel.

You are free to do whatever you want with all this information and I hope that at least someone will find this useful.

I have possible plans to include screenshots of every map at some point if someone can point me to a fraps-like program that lets me name each screenshot after it's been taken. Preferably this would allow me to specify a frame to screenshot so I could just take shots straight from the hammer 3D view.
    The screenshots shouldn't take that long (approx. a day or two if I worked on it actively)

If you have any questions concerning the leak version, I think I can answer it (or at least say my own analyzing/theories about it) since I am probably the only (or at least one of the very few) that has literally gone trough every map file that this pack has to offer.. hehe.

Anyway, that's it for now. Dig in :)

2. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

That's a pretty serious labour of love. Don't know the game well enough to make sense of most of it, but I respect the work that's gone into it.

3. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

same from me. Oh and welcome too!

4. oasiz

oasiz Member

I plan on adding screenshots so the pictures can tell what the text doesn't.

For anyone who is curious, there are a lot of videos floating around youtube.
    The E3 levels discussed above are from the infamous E3 2003 presentation which is also available on youtube. The E3 2003 presentation This one excludes the tech demos and shows the highlights. You can pretty easily see that most of the stuff looks different to the retail version :)

5. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Great work indeed.

Theres a HL2 mod that lets you play the lost levels, right?

6. oasiz

oasiz Member

There are various mods from different people, I guess your best bet right now would be Missing information. It just doesn't only fix some maps to be playable on the modern engine, they actually try finish the maps themselves, sometimes that means an almost complete face lift. The quality of their work is very good and consistent.

Sadly they haven't done much past the E3 maps and some single player levels but they want to focus on quality over quantity.

Other modifications exist such as "airex" and "vertigo", these aim to make the map leftovers playable by adding some essential gameplay elements that were missing. These also are usually just simple one or multimap pieces of work. Individual maps made to work with the retail game (Or missing information as that has much of the leaked version's resources ported over) can be found somewhat easily.

Vertigo mod gameplay
    Air exchange

7. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

I congratulate you on such dedicated work, but I can't help but think visuals is the best way to understand it all. (Not that I need it, I have scoured every VMF file as well, so I understand how long it must have taken you to look at it all and compile the main pieces of each map into text)

But one thing I noticed on a quick skim through, you didn't happen to examine many of the entities around the maps did you? I only say this because many of them (ex:Triggers) contain useful textual information that can provide more insight on the map itself or the ideas churning through the developers heads that are otherwise unseen to the naked eye.

Not that I would expect you to look through each entity, as that might have doubled your time to make this.

Anyway, I am happy you spent so much of your time compiling this information for those who can't get enough of Half-life 2 in its earlier stages.:thumbsup:

8. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

VAC banned here so I don't reinstall HL2 for offline play as a matter of principle. It was a long read but looks like some interesting stuff there though :)

9. oasiz

oasiz Member

Thanks!

Yes, I have tried to look at the entities and triggers to some extent to discover their functions (this is how I found out stuff like the missle launchers, the particle storms or the npc_hydra). Triggers are usually empty because of bronken links that are possibly the result of too old entities to dispaly/recognize (Such as studio_model and static_prop to name a few).

I think the current information serves better as an index/catalog for further exploration. This was my primary goal.

My ultimate goal is possibly to wikify this along with the pictures and everybody could add more details that I have missed. Going trough much of the broken entities would have cost me too much time.
    For the screenshots I plan to fix the VMF files to have correct quick&dirty entity names so that models and some other stuff will show up.

If you happen to have already a script that converts (or some text file that tells what needs to be changes) I would really appreciate it. I already have a rough idea on what needs to be swapped with what, but this would save me a great deal of time. Any other assets such as bumped up resource version numbers are appreciated (or De-X'd textures) so that they will display correctly inside hammer. I want to make the screenshots decent, they will lack lightning though as I will take them trough hammer, but it gives the big picture anyway.

Also great to know that someone else has gone trough the maps so I am not all alone with the information! :)
    The part where Alyx was supposed to drop a fridge on top of the antlion guard made me laugh.

10. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Awesome! I always wanted to try the "original" HL2

11. oasiz

oasiz Member

First batch of shots at: http://62.78.137.12/bshots

Image formats are sadly inconsistent with a few, I experimented with different formats as I saw sizes climbing to 4-5 megs per picture.
    When I am done with all of these, I will repack them to a more convenient size/compression ratio.

To anyone who is unfamiliar with how the levels work in this game:
    These are the editor's (Hammer in this case) 3D view screengrabs. While it shows the level geometry, textures and whatnot, it lacks all the lightning.
    So every map you see in here will be fullbright. Even maps that are supposed to be at night. To get lights in the maps you will have to compile every map you want to have lights in, that is calculating lights and optimizing geometry for the game to understand.
    When you see white textures, it means that the texture material is either unavailable or couldn't be loaded. Some textures appear as too bright so they will appear almost completely white.
    Some entities display wrong due to being obsoleted so the editor doesn't want to view them. I manually converted the most used entities to be visible (models), but there still are occasional yellow entities that say OBSOLETE.

These pictures should hopefully give the big picture on what the maps look like, I did the documentation based on the same material you see in the screenshots.

As I think this thread will die by the time I am done so I will post again once this hurdle is done so those people who are still interested can enjoy the VISUALS ;)

The goal will be to combine these shots with the information I have written, then wikify'ing it all to a much more convenient format/medium. After that I think I have done everything that I wanted to do with these, documentation-wise. Looks like it's around ~40+ maps per hour on average, so this shouldn't take that long.. That is under 23 hours in total already.

Anyway, enough about that!
    Enjoy. :)

12. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

BTW, the map files are here on the forums somewhere as well as the source. I posted them a few months ago with ASSEMbler's permission, I just can't find them...