The Great Rare Fundraiser : Conker's BFD and Perfect Dark Betas

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Borman, Oct 7, 2012.

1. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Honestly would support it Borman if I could. If this is still happening near the end of the year I might back it (if I get employed). Sad to hear many have scrammed.

2. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Monies... If I had tons of it I would spend most of it here. :D srsly, great stuff around here. sadly I need to save a little for my trip. but maybe food is cheap there, than I can spend some more :p

3. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Someone sent over a donation of 10$. Every cent counts, so I appreciate it!

4. Borman

5. saibot_20194

saibot_20194 Spirited Member

any differences

6. Borman

You can see the major one, a partial debug menu.

7. saibot_20194

yeah I can see that :) but there's any diferences with animations or something else?? :/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. Borman

I dont know. Not likely that there is anything majorly different, if only because it is an extremely late beta. That said :
    [​IMG]

There is an obvious file size difference. I dont know what, if anything, is in the files beyond the partial debug menu. Im not big on the n64

9. saibot_20194

interesting borman :) but there must be something else in those files, maybe the facemapper feature?? well who knows.

10. Borman

Like I said, I have no idea how to do anything with it. I make no promises beyond the partial debug menu, anything else is purely a bonus :)

11. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

ill collect some goodies at home to sell and make a donation soon. this looks nice Borman

12. saibot_20194

this is very interesting borman :) I'm hopping something else in those files ;)

13. zidapi

zidapi Rapidly Rising Member

Although Pre-release Rareware stuff is highly prized in the community, I think the fact that it's been revealed to be near final code might be the reason Borman hasn't seen the level of interest we'd expect.

If however, Borman found some evidence that there was more content hidden away in the ROM that wasn't in the retail build, this would likely get funded *very* quickly.

14. Borman

It is what it is. Its an early version, with a verified partial debug. Im not a n64 hacker. I don't claim to be a hacker of any kind. I just put the money out there so that it didn't disappear, as there aren't other RARE betas for 64 out there, and my hope was that a successful fundraiser would lead to more. It hasn't worked out that way.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

From what I've heard there's an unreleased earlier PD build as well. If this had been a success it could have flushed out that one as well. Sorry it fell flat like this.

Using Rare's timestamp to date it is misleading though. Contrast the timestamps and versions Rare set in the various release versions of the game--especially compared to release dates--and its clear they stopped updating them at some point. We're also talking about a game where they left in multiple older versions of files and never removed the menus to dropped features.

Either way, it's important to preservation, and from the hacking perspective it would reveal how all the debug registers that were left in were supposed to operate. Yes, that's right people: they cut the debug menu but most of the features still function if you know where to poke them. It's a similiar case to PAL GE's menuless debug features. Pain in the butt getting it to record game sessions, though it does work ;*)

16. Borman

The biggest issue so far on it has been people sending me PMs, asking for my Paypal, then disappearing. Havent had it so bad before :p

17. Faded

Faded <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

To everyone asking about the face-mapping feature that was removed in Perfect Dark:
    Keep in mind that during the development of Perfect Dark, there were a lot of school shooting going on in the United States which would have caused massive controversy since you'd be shooting an avatar/player model with your friend's face on it. Not to say that this is a bad thing, but at the time we had things like Columbine and that really wouldn't have bowed over too well with anyone.

I get paid on Friday, I'm definitely donating to the release of this beta because I'd like to explore around the ROM to see even the most minor of differences in this game since I grew up playing this. The thing that somewhat boggles my brain is: This ROM plays in 50Hz but yet maintains a higher FPS than the NTSC Final Build; could this perhaps vary from computer to computer since I know hardware is taken into account when emulating any N64 games? Another thing is that if this is ever released, would it ever be able to run on something like an Everdrive on all region consoles if it hasn't already?

18. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

This is the difference between the NTSC and PAL versions of Perfect Dark. The NTSC version has a higher resolution but a lower frame rate, the PAL version has a slightly lower resolution but a slightly higher frame rate to compensate. It's nothing to do with your computer, this is how the game was converted and optimised for PAL territories. I believe it's the same with other Rare games like Donkey Kong 64, if you want to learn how it was done perhaps something locked away this build might give you the answer.

Edit: Actually I might have that wrong so don't take my word on it. I'm sure there are some benefits to the PAL version though for what's sacrificed in the NTSC version. I think it might be the other way around, PAL higher resolution but slower frame rate.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  19. Borman

I dont see why it wouldnt run on an Everdrive or something, if the regular Perfect Dark does.

20. Borman

20$ closer!