The favorite item you've found

Discussion in 'Member Game Collections' started by ASSEMbler, Dec 4, 2010.

1. DrAfrokid

DrAfrokid Active Member

2. amiga1200

amiga1200 Dauntless Member

(f*cki it! maybe old, but still relevant) no images today, sorry! (suck it up)
    if i haven't whined on about it already, the commodore amiga1200 is my FAVORITE machine, just in storage atm til i land a powerful ppc expansion card for it! (ATI/piccolo/blizzard/zorro)
    despite computer being on hiatus, it's the ONLY piece of tech i can give a flying F*ck about, all the other...SHIT i own really doesn't measure up, pure DRECK, ALL OF IT BY COMPARISON!
    1, priority is to restore a1200 back to it's former glory!
    2, on the hunt for a decked out cd32 with the SX-32 PRO outfitted (inline memory modules optional, they can still be acquired nowadays)
    3, WTF? i can live without any other competition, give me back my a1200 OR a decked out cd32, and i'll INCINERATE all my other collections, all of it!
    so yeah, back from the early 90's, finding the a1200 was, and IS, still my most treasured piece of gear! :cocksure:
    [edit]
    f*ckin shit keyboard..

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Probably my favorite machine is an old SGI Iris Crimson that I managed to salvage just before it was going to be carted off for scrap.When I got it, it was in pretty poor condition and quite low spec (VGX graphics, 100MHz R4K and 96MB of RAM). I managed to replace all the damaged plastics, find a 150MHz R4400 IP17 CPU board for it, get the Reality Engine graphics option (with 4 RMs), upgrade the RAM to 256MB and put a MASSIVE 1GB HDD in it (it really was massive - full height 5 1/4").Of course, my laptop is about 10 times more powerful, but it's still a fun toy.

4. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

My first game ever was a loose cart of Sonic 2. So naturally I was excited when I found an empty case for the game (actually it had a Simpsons game in it) at a thrift store.

The two have been together ever since.

5. 9Matt2

9Matt2 Rapidly Rising Member

a Japanese Crash Bandicoot demo for something like £3 or £5, I think it's a steal since it was still sealed!

6. Gojiratron

Gojiratron Rising Member

When at Uni in Dundee 15 years ago, I used to come across all sorts in junk shops. Finds include a Secret of Mana US cart for £4, 2 Shining Force 2s for £4 each in different shops, Shining Force 3 PAL for £3.99, JP Saturn games Vampire Savior and Bubble Symphony for £10 and McDonald's Treasureland Adventure for £2. Saw a Wondermega once but didn't have cash on me. Had been sold by the time I returned ;_; Picked up an ex-rental Panzer Saga for £15 as well which I traded for brand new copies of Super Smash Brothers and Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Saturn.

Favourite though is a CIB Alien Soldier for £4 which I still have. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  7. Drain You

Drain You Rapidly Rising Member

Donkey Kong Country has always been my favorite game. I first started playing videogames on the SNES, and just always remembered playing it with my brother and dad. I still have the loose cart that I got back in the day, but two years ago I was at PAX east and found a shoddy boxed version of the game. As soon as saw the cover I got thrown back to the christmas I got the game, I prolly ripped the box and threw it out back then. Seeing the cover again gave me such nostalgia, its my favorite pickup. I'll always keep it even though I have one in better condition.

8. D_Ban

D_Ban Robust Member

Was out with my mother and I was tired and there was this one charity/thrift shop which I hadn't been in but it looked rubbish, She persuaded me to go in and I found a mint CIB Zelda: Orcarina Of Time (Black box/pal version) for £0.70 box has to be 8.5/10 and the manual has a slight crease, felt bad paying so little so gave them £1.

Another time I bought a Mega CD 2 for £20 with this football demo disk, got home to see it die instantly.. Was heart broken but took it back and got a full refund but kept the demo. Next day the charity/thrift shop outside mine had a boxed Mega CD 2 with Mega Drive 2, 34 boxed MD games and 9 MCD games for £20, better yet it had a few rare genesis games in the bundle was right happy.

Also got an xbox for £1.04 once in an eBay auction.

XeDK likes this.
  9. Prankster432

Prankster432 Always on the Proto-grind

I was at a thrift store and they had an SNES with two controllers and all the cords. Along with seven games, the best of which was Donkey Kong country. That was $20, then under it was a box of 10 NES games and a few of them had manuals. That box was $15.
    Battletoads w/ manual was in that box, so i was happy.

10. thedarkpersian

thedarkpersian RetroGemCollector

I have to say that my most memorable game purchase was back in 97 when I bought my own game with my own money all alone. It was Re-Loaded for pc. I still remember how my sister and I played the shit out of that game...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. Conker69

Conker69 Rapidly Rising Member

Heres my favourite find of 2014

[​IMG]

12. GrethHellscream

GrethHellscream Member

Gotta be the Action Replay for the Saturn I picked up on some auction site for 20 quid. Opened up a world of cheap import gaming and SHMUPS.

Also the most uncanny find was Gradius for the NES at Leicester market for £2........a week after my original stopped working!

Oh and Castlevania Legends for the Game Boy CIB at a local market for £15, and Diablo: Hellfire (expansion for the first game) CIB for £8

Also a Dreamcast with cables, 2 controllers, a VMU and Sonic Adventure, MDK2, Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider 4 for £5 at a car boot, good times

13. gladders

gladders Robust Member

I seem to be relatively lucky with plumbing for 'attic finds' that the seller hasn't tested, hoping they work and getting them cheap. Got a 32X and a Mega CD that way for around half the asking price of the other eBay auctions.

Also tickled at the Atari Lynx I just got, marked as busted, games not loading but I thought why not, it's thrown in with a Game Gear. Turns out the seller was putting the game in the wrong way...working Lynx!

14. supersega

supersega I have 7 and a half PS1s in my room alone.

My $30 (with EMS shipping) NTSC-J Saturn from Japan, easily. Want my next favorite item to be a Neo Geo CD, but they are just so dang expensive, even for an X'Eye owner like me!

15. Hallfiry

Hallfiry Member

My fav that I've found so far is my official Diablo 2 Making Of CD (not the usual cinematics DVD). It seems I'm the only person publicly owning one of those (at least I couldn't find any hints toward the CD online). I got it from the CD piles at our local recycling yard (where people dump their stuff for proper disposal). D2MakingOfCD.jpg

16. capsulej

capsulej Rising Member

Found one of these for 15$ at a thrift store once. Didn't buy it because at the time i had no idea what it was. :(

17. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

18. Goblin 6

Goblin 6 Rising Member

something cool i found was an unopened boxed sega saturn controller (forget which model) at a movie rental store my friend worked there it was in a small town, they had old games you could still rent or buy but they wanted crazy prices to buy even the dumbest games but needless to say we were going through some boxes and it was in there he let me keep it but i opened it up so i could enter a cheat code in Resident evil saturn that required 2 controllers to access Battle mode .__.

19. Skullmeat

Skullmeat Member

My Super Scope, which I found on ebay. Still has all the packaging, and is in mint condition. The seller wanted $60 for it untested, but I bargained with him and got it for $35. Works perfectly, and its a blast playing Metal Combat.

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Spirited Member

Found two of the CDi Zelda games (Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil) in a charity shop for £1.25 each, then a couple of weeks later I got Hotel Mario for £1.99. All terrible games but I sold them and bought a bargain 3DS bundle (boxed console with Zelda OOT and Kid Icarus) so I guess the CDi Nintendo licenses kinda redeemed themselves.

When I went to Uni someone will have had the best deal ever though as my parents donated my old "junk" which consisted of a boxed A1200 with tons of boxed games and an external drive, Compaq Concerto laptop (basically a Microsoft Surface running Windows 95) and a boxed Vic 20 with games and expansion card.