The confirmation of the Megadrive Tetris

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Mundocombo, Feb 3, 2008.

1. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Any thoughts about what G-4008 might be?

It is staggering to hear about so many games with such a small production run... the costs to produce cartridges, covers, labels, etc.

So, based on price - would Kizuna Encounter top the bill? or is Tetris worth more?

2. Consumed

Consumed Fiery Member

Kizuna and the western version of Super Sidekicks 4 both had official launches, regardless of how rare these games are supposed to be the odds of a massive corporation like SNK just going to the trouble of creating 8 - 10 of each is somewhat ludicrous. Just because they don't come up for sale doesn't mean that they don't exist. This on the other hand, Tetris, is an entirely different ball game as it's widely known that the game was never released so it's value should be exponentially higher.

But not $1.000.000 higher, that's just plain stupid.

3. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Must be a slow news day at yahoo as this was one of the top 20 stories, then again Yahoo is not the greatest of news sites... http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/26675/rare-game-gets-million-dollar-pricetag.html

The $1,000,000 price tag is surely there so it gets attention rather then being a serious sale price, although it does seem more a willy waving exercise then a serious auction.

In my dealing with a lot of collectors, the ones that don't have collections of ultra rare stuff tend to be nicer and more generous and less greedy.

4. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

They existed at some point, but the story goes that SNK recalled all copies from the European market to convert them into Japanese Fu'un Super Tag Battle's.

@Jamtex
    True, and it's not limited to collector's with a lot of pricy gems but can be said of many wealthy people. Maybe that's the reason why they are stay rich, eh.

5. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

I think Tetris masks the more rarer games than itself, but also people like Mundocombo talking rubbish about it and value it far beyond it's worth does not help at all to change that.

6. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

I'm starting to read on many forums that the copy was sold to mundocombo by adol.
    Wtf ?

7. BKK

BKK Active Member

G codes are for games published by Sega, T codes were used for games published by third parties.

http://sega.jp/archive/segahard/md/soft_licensee.html

It could just be something simple like a game that was originally intended to be published by Sega and originally assigned the G-4008 code was later changed to a third party publisher and had it's code changed to reflect that. I have no evidence for that, just pointing out that a missing code doesn't necessarily mean the game was unreleased.

8. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

+1

So true.

But don't forget, he did pay 3-4 times what it had ever sold for before. Because he is the 'ultimate' MD collector. So knowledgeable in fact that I didn't have to tell him about some of the actual MD rarities, Osaka, Go Net, Wonder Midi et al, against which MD Tetris pales into insignificance. Oh wait, I did. Fucknut. And this when he was trying to sell me a 'mint' WWF Raw (JP MD) that had a dog eared manual, scratched cart etc.

I've still not forgotten the last time he sold some rarer / pricier titles on Ebay. Shortly after being paid his feedback went to shit. He claimed some Paypal issue fucked him over. Hmmmmmmm

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=mundocombo&ftab=AllFeedback

Edit - gah, forgot to say, this thread fails.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  9. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

Being the collector that he is, I think knowing about other JPN Sega Mega Drive games that are rarer, he still said about Tetris "simply a rare if not THE RAREST videogame on earth".

Being the collector that he is, I think he must know Power League All Star (GOLD HuCARD) isn't the rarest PC-Engine game ever made, but he says it is. I think many store samples are rarer let alone other campaign software.

I just think he speaks rubbish in lots of his listings and being a collector of this type I think he must speak with more honesty about items and stuff.

I too remember his feedback. :( But to quote a little bit, "and you can bid with 100% confidence my items are real". That may be, but would I receive or get any communication from him if I bought something, hehe. ^_^

10. cyberguile

cyberguile Dauntless Member

Yeah, talk about the virtual bart I had won and never got the invoice for.

11. Mundocombo

Mundocombo Spirited Member

To all the love, just say that wheela, as a collector you are, saying that Tetris pales in rarity with go-net, osaka and w. midi is just a personal opinion. The last 2 were on sale this same year. When was the last Tetris you saw to buy? 5 years ago and with a complete md collection. You cannot talk certanly about rarity without official numbers.

The final price of the w. midi this year was 100.000 jpy aprox., the last Tetris sold before mine was 4000 usd and 7 years ago. They don't even play in the same league.

No, Adol didn't sell me the Tetris, a lot of unconsistant stuff have been said those days...

Cyberguile, when that ebay problem happened, I returned all the money to all buyers due I had no time for the sending etc. I'm musician an I got stuck in a spanish tour, my bad, but since then (5 years?) I' bought and sold a lot of expensive stuff flawlessly.

Love and peace.

12. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

SNK actually did recall them because massive earthquakes and floods took place in the region where the chips for the AES carts were produced, making it difficult to impossible to ship out new chips to SNK and other companies.

SNK did then recall the EURO releases bc to the extremely low sales in Europe compared with the japanese market to make more jpn releases which sold better back the day.

Edit: just for the laughs... for the sake of my sanity, I made a VC inject with this one. Looking good on my Wii homescreen...

13. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

You say you cannot talk certanly about rarity without official numbers, but then I think you do it yourself in the auctions. :(

For Tetris, you said "simply a rare if not THE RAREST videogame on earth; a lot has been said about the numbers but is rumored only 3-8 copies exist worldwide". Yet, I think you know now Vampire Killer campaign cassettes are limited 5 pieces combined. I think number of known copies sold/owned for the other games mentioned can be lower or equal to Tetris as well. You are aware this might be, but still say false claims about it.

You said that Power League All Star (GOLD HuCARD) is rarest PC-Engine game ever made, but I believe you know that is not true, so why say that?

But also you said only 200 made. Please could I ask what official source gave that number?

14. Mundocombo

For what you say about the vampire (and many others), thats the reason I say "a rare if not the rarest", no lie here.

In pce, you are not quoting me correctly, I know there are rarer games not released, Thibaut have some, just read again the description, I think I wrote "released" or something like that.

15. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

Ah, sorry to not quote correctly. Though, I wasn't referring to games not released, only released games as you said.

16. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

That Tetris auction wasn't a complete collection though. It was missing Osaka, Go Net and WM at least!

Look, noone is saying Tetris isn't rare, it is, but it's not the rarest of the rare by any means, and many people hold other MD games as being rarer.

The final price of the w. midi this year was 100.000 jpy aprox., the last Tetris sold before mine was 4000 usd and 7 years ago. They don't even play in the same league.

Price does not equal rarity, as a collector you should know that.

17. Mundocombo

You know I'm right about those games on sale this year and the 5 years since the last Tetris.

I don't really know what other people thinks, but I have my own opinion build in all those years collecting MD, and I think is at least as respetable as the opinion of other people; to my surprise I've read some sentences not very respectful here.

I consider Tetris rarer than those 3 you mention, being go-net the closer one. You don't think so, ok, I respect that.

No doubt is the more desirable, judging by the offers I'm receiving.

18. Jamtex

Except apart from the number of offers, no one can see any of the offers, for all we know you might have had offers of under $100 in each offer.. I did make a pathetic offer and rather then set it to decline it as it was less then what you probably got (unless of course $20 was the highest bid you got...) you leave it so you have to decline it to probably make it look like you are mulling over a 'Fantastic' offer...

If you did think it was a desirable item and you were getting fantastic offers then you would probably run it as an auction rather then a willy waving excercise...

19. Mundocombo

I prefer this way of selling, got me better results in the past, and I'm in no hurry.

Got any satisfaction offering 1 USD?... I got serious offers from serious collectors, some of them users of this forum.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  20. Jamtex

I did not offer $1, I did offer much more then that but you declined it.

Lorraine is a female name by the way ;P

Although there is no reason why you can not tell people what the highest offer you've declined is as no one will know who did that offer.

You've also mentioned what you paid for it, and I am sure that Alexey Pajitnov is probably not going to be too happy that you are trying to make money off his signature too.

And you wonder why you are getting lots of negative comments?