GUIDE The CD-R archiving FAQ

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by ASSEMbler_archived, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ASSEMbler_archived

ASSEMbler_archived Pillar of the Community ****

I have contacted several manufacturers about the preservation of CD-R,
    be it Cyanine,Phthalocyanine,Azo compounds, etc.

What you will read below is the replies from the manufacturers themselves to these questions:

1. What temperature and humidity are recommended for the preservation of CD-R media archives?

2. How long is the lifespan of your (Cyanine,Phthalocyanine,Azo) formation?

3. Will inert gas storage extend the lifespan?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. ASSEMbler_archived

ASSEMbler_archived Pillar of the Community ****

Taiyo Yuden offical response:

Thank you for your email to Taiyo Yuden, which was forwarded to me today.

Your question 1): optical discs are not very sensitive to the storage condition but we recommend 25 degree Celsius, 50% RH. (77 degree Fahrenheit)

Your question 2): Our organic dye has been Cyanine base. However, to make sure, I would need the “disc lot number” engraved in the center hub.

Your question 3): I have never heard of it. What is really important for optical disc archiving is “how to obtain low initial occurrence of error rate”. The discs with low error rate is not very sensitive to the external conditions.

Just for your information, we launched ISO/IEC10995 certified DVD-R and burning and checking unit. The attached is a flyer summarizing the solution. You may be interested in.
    (The document was for a CD-R drive that creates CSV files for futures comparison)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  4. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 Insane redneck retro gamer...

Taken straight from Wikipedia:

5. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I had burned about 30 Maxell CD-R around 2000-2001 . Kept them in a CD binder. Last year i tried to read them and one out of 3 would have errors.

6. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

7. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Nothing will beat LTO tapes, to save some buck you can use HDDs, but always use at least two copies stored in different places.
    For CD-Rs - some of discs i burned in 1995 are still perfectly readable, some died in less than a year. DVD-Rs are usually a bit more reliable. Don't have even a single one that was readable after burn and died in a box.

8. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

What about double-layer DVDs? I had a bunch of them that lost all data on the 2nd layer after a month of storage. I know that they probably won't last as long as normal DVD+/-R discs, but should they ever be this bad?

9. rcmadiax

rcmadiax Spirited Member

Will Blu-ray Disc last longer?

10. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

There's a particular model of Memorex 25GB BD-Rs that I was using back in 2010 or so that I have been having a lot of problems with. Stored nicely in a climate controlled room (my room, to be specific), I'm hitting about a 50% failure rate on these discs now. The computer (or blu-ray player) won't even recognize the ones that have failed. I haven't noticed any other specific model/brand (BD-R or BD-RE 25 or 50) failing like this (even newer 'models' of Memorex BD-R 25s are doing fine)... Yet. But it seems no burnable optical media should be considered 'archive' quality. Supposedly 'authoring DVD-Rs' were supposed to have a 100 year life span or some such (they required special burners too, they weren't normal DVD-Rs), I'll have to start checking those to see if any have failed (have a lot from my days as a DVD programmer... :) )

The Memorex blu-ray discs are blue with light blue writing except for the 'R' of 'BD-R' and the '25GB', which are printed in orange.

A friend of mine that used a lot of these same brand of discs around the same time is reporting the same failure rate...

11. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

It's interesting that Taiyo Yuden mention drive/disc compatibility, I worked for a company that made very high end rack-mounted burners for recording studio use. We had issues with the original Lite-on CD-RWdrives put in these machines (2 per machine, up to 8 machines linked to allow for many hours of seamless recording). We replaced them with a Sony CD-RW only drive and still found that some media produced results below acceptable error levels. In the end we replaced all the drives with Lite-On DVD-RW drives, which seem to have a better tolerance for different brands of media.

12. 1magus

1magus Active Member

Okay, so, what about discs that were not burned at home? Would a official PlayStation One disc last 30+ years if kept in a good environment?

13. abveost

abveost Spirited Member

I have CD's that are around 30 years old and work fine. They've just stored on a shelf/rack in all sorts of climates as I moved around so not a particularly good environment. I don't see any reason a PS disc wouldn't last as long.