The annoying issue when youtube videos get many things wrong

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by subbie, Jul 23, 2017.

1. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

It was a common technique used back then and the idea is that your less likely to damage the board since there's no chance of liquid getting on the rest of the board. The new recommended form seems to be using brasso to clean contacts but I'm sure it's debated such as the technique of using real fine grit sand paper to scrub off corrosion of the contacts.

2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I watched an episode of Digital Foundry last night comparing all the versions of the first Need for Speed. They totally borked the Saturn version, stating the dash gauges don't work, and that there's no music while racing. Well, I didn't remember that being the case, so I threw in my copy of NFS for the Saturn and lo and behold, both cd music while racing, and the gauges work just as they should. They were using both those points as serious disadvantages to the Saturn version. I have no idea if they were emulating or what, but my version of NFS has both those things working just fine.

I guess the plus side is the Saturn version will probably remain nice and cheap if everyone starts going for the PS1 version instead :p

DSwizzy145 and Yakumo like this.
  3. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Thanks a bunch for sharing details subbie. And man, it's sad you had to do that. Seriously Majesco/Nintendo or whoever, do you really think people would pirate low-res GBA videos if they could record it from GB Player? lol

4. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I've used pencil erasers for cleaning cartridges for a long time and never had any issue. Usually I do the eraser then wipe any bits off with a paper towel and then use a little alcohol and again wipe it with a paper towel after. If you just scrub it with an eraser and throw it right in you're right, eraser bits in the cartridge slot. But only an idiot wouldn't wipe any little debris off first. It's a decent cleaning method when done right.

5. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

It sad, they really were. I think it was mostly nintendo and cartoon license holders that forced it more then majesco. The whole thing was kind of comical internally that people would pirate these videos over say dvd rips or from cable.

6. speedyink

I agree, just don't be an idiot and the eraser method works fine for quick cleans when you're OCD like me and have to clean any game connector you buy even if it looks clean. I only bust out the alcohol if I actually get a bad one.

7. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I don't think Digital Foundry knows what they're doing more than half the time. They often find differences too small for a normal person to notice or just Straight up isn't there.

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I have to agree with you on that. I mean, at times they're doing a x300 zoom to show you how one version of a game is better than another and even at the x300 zoom the difference is negligible. I mean, sometimes they point out stuff that just doesn't matter or nobody would ever notice unless they were told.
    I do like Digital Foundry but sometimes think they are way to anal about stuff.

9. subbie

There are some good in DF but still a lot of crap (do we really need an analysis of a posted PR screenshot? or what a PC at console X spec would be like). One thing I will give them some credit for is mellowing out on their old xbox fanboyish nature when they first started.

I like the premise of what they try to do with DF Retro, even though they do get some stuff wrong frequently. =(

10. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

11. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

The only gaming videos I truly hate are those generic "news" channels where they stand in front of a green screen and two losers/bimbos summarize all 5 paragraphs of some video game news article written by someone who got that information off another website which got that information from another site which got their information from some kind of "source"

Johnny and takeshi385 like this.
  12. MottZilla

Here is a good example of misinformation from a popular source.
    Goto 3:34 for the bit I'm talking about.

Some of the things said are that the 32X version of Doom had "no sound" and looked "really crappy". Then goes on to say that "Nintendo" was able to "do DOOM" on a single cartridge and imply it was overall better. I think the "no sound" was related to not knowing wtf he was talking about and because he heard somewhere about the Jaguar version of DOOM having no music. He claims SNES games have add-on chips that most certainly do not. He names Super Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy III (6), Donkey Kong Country erroneously as having some sort of special chips and "adding processor power". He mentioned that the Super FX chip is "more powerful" than what is inside the SNES. My guess is he saw clock speed numbers of 10.5mhz and 21mhz for the SuperFX which seems really fast to him than the often quoted 2.68mhz and 3.58mhz of the SNES 65816 CPU. But this is misleading. They also talk about NES memory mapper chips and spout some non-sense there too.

The bad thing is so many people have watched it and will watch it and then assume it is all true. But then again it's not like that didn't already happen before, just now it reaches more people.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  13. subbie

Ouch, so much bad/wrong in that video. Shame because mike (guy on the left) should know better but that dude on the right was full of shit so much. I guess the dude also forgot about viruta racing on genesis.

14. speedyink

Yeah, don't watch those guys talk gaming "facts", they basically just go by memory and make up whatever fits the bill for the rest. Any of their videos that branch out from AVGN are so cringe worthy..

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  15. subbie

James & Mike play and Board James are generally good but that is about it.

16. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

No, not really. He's a NES guy first and foremost, and the bit in question is about the SNES.
    Ryan seems to be more of a jack of all trades, and definitely a master of none.

Overall, seeing how off-the-cuff the whole video is... I would not trust most facts in there without a crosschecking them. But many people do.

17. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Mike Matei has a long history of pushing misinformation. I have always hated that mongoloid, because he will pontificate about things he doesn't research.

DSwizzy145 and Yakumo like this.
  18. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

The funny thing is these people spend tons of money on cameras, hardware and editing software... only to not fact check what they are talking about. It's the same with a lot of these "let's talk", "top something", "must have",... kind of videos. Most of the times, they are really terrible.

19. MottZilla

I was not really familiar with the SNES version so I couldn't say much about it specifically, but wow what a "better" version. No floor or ceiling textures! That's how you know it's better. It's a real shame the 32X version didn't have better audio. I'm sure given the right talent and enough time it could have been significantly improved.

20. speedyink

Oh yeah, forgot about that series. They are well done with the same sorta effort as the AVGN series.