The annoying issue when youtube videos get many things wrong

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by subbie, Jul 23, 2017.

1. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

I know this is kind of silly to complain about but some youtube channels are really starting to annoy me with how frequently they get stuff wrong or set out a set rule for the context of the video and don't follow through with them. I could understand for smaller channels with a few subscribers but really big ones seem to do this a lot which continues to spread the false information which I worry will become the new history as correct information becomes harder to find as the stuff is lost on the internet due to time (old forums, articles, etc).

If you're wondering what video set me off it's this one.

Some quick errors
    1. Their talk of wideboy has some inaccuracies
    2. The presence of a snes controller on Proto GBA board is proof they were tying for portable snes which is false the presence of the controller is because nintendo tends to reuse old stock/parts when building these boards.
    3. GBA Video carts were not by 4Kids Tech, The initial batches were by DC-Studios and most tv ep based ones. Some later full movie ones were done by another company Actimagine. I think also the pokemon videos were by Actimagine but my memory is a little fussy on that.
    4. They credit M2 for nintendo classics when really that was Arika. M2 did the sega 3d classics.
    5. There was some errors in their reporting on Atlantis.

#3 kind of irked the most but that is because I actually worked on them. I guess I should be happy they were mention but meh. =|

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

My favorite part on the Wideboy was the lack of different versions. There's like 4 of those things.
    I would have at least liked them to have mentioned that the battery socket hasnt changed what so ever, so you can put a wii remote rechargable battery pack into a GBA.

Also props to them for using the term "literally" in a proper way.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  3. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I don't remember if it was them or another channel but they somehow got it mixed up that Akumajou densetsu had extra sound in the "disk version" of the game with even a photoshop image of the games cover art with disk version written at the bottom when demonstrating sound difference.

It's really a bad oversight cause they mention castlevania 2 disk system version having different sound but somehow mention the vrc6 right before talking about castlevania 3 but say it was on disk format in Japan. It's really not that hard to get right when you consider how many sources there are to show it's a cart release. Is it really hard to do decent google search or even eBay to find out the correct information?

Think part of the problem is they are in such a rush to get videos uploaded for views they don't bother cross referencing to get the facts right and they only check one or two sites and just go with it. Really sad as this is how a lot of miss information gets spread.

4. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

That wideboy footage is of mine. It was posted by maxgames, the local game shop in my area. The owner had it consigned and I bought it through them. It really erks me when people don't credit stuff properly. Also they used a bunch of photos without crediting people.

5. subbie

I agree that much of this stuff can easily be sorted out with some good internet searching. I have to say I don't agree with this excuse. You are right for the reason but I don't think it's a good justification when you're a channel as big as this one is. If they were maybe smaller I can sort of get behind the fact it's a hobby and they might have missed it. Yet when your whole channel is built on talking about gaming facts and you have more then a million subscribers, you don't have excuse for not putting in the time to properly research this.

I'm pretty sure this channel also pulls info from this forum as they've referenced us in the past. =)

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

They have a shoddy history of sourcing things unfortunately, and take what a source says at face value without actually looking into it more. It's one thing to get something wrong based on the evidence that is there, which I and many others have done, but when bigger channels use this sort of 10th-hand information, it becomes impossible to correct it. There are still people out there that think Final Fantasy 64 was a thing, despite being corrected shortly after the first magazine published anything on the project.

7. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

When I discovered the night time data in Megaman Legends, it made its way to DYKG. As much as I appreciate the mention of it, the fact it wasnt sourced at all, just shown (in a recreation, to which I have no idea who did that but thank you) I was fairly annoyed. Sure small thing, not the worst thing ever (like footage) but still.

They're at least starting to source TCRF better, one thing that has been a constant issue so with that it's at least getting *somewhere*.

Multiple times they've referenced us seeing as we are the "Home of the Obscure"

8. SpooferJahk

SpooferJahk *Insert title here*

DYKG... I have to admit they get a lot of things wrong, their GTA stuff bugged me when they cited a porting issue in Vice City for the PC as a reference to other media.

9. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Yeah, things like that bother me sometimes.
    Also, wasn't it Majesco that developed the GBA Video? If I recall correctly, there was an interview in which they mentioned they attempted all sorts of compression techniques for shrinking the video as much as possible.

10. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

I don't see the problem. If they're really that bad, just unsubscribe.
    Or if you still have hope for them, why not at least discuss somewhere they're likely to see?

11. subbie

Nope, they were published by Majesco and I think the company may have given Majesco ownership of it (I wasn't really privy to the business side of the deal) but the compression tech was built by DC-Studios by our GBA engine lead. He did go through a lot of test to try bettering/reducing the compression. I was the poor sap forced to put the "not compatible" with the gba player. We used the compression also in Cinderella: Magical Dreams for the video clips from the movie.

Actually my memory was a bit fuzzy and I had to go back and check one of the video carts, but I mean freaking hell, There are credits on the cart which list DC-Studios for the tech. All the more point that DYNG was being lazy. =|

BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  12. subbie

I don't even subscribe to them. I do watch other game related shows on youtube so youtube at times will throw me their stuff to consider.

Also the bigger issue is less just this specific video but the frequency for youtube videos to spit out facts that are just plain wrong and continue the misinformation.

13. rso

Well, that's YouTube in 2017 for you. "So Nintendo was developing this new game thing. 10 reasons why you won't believe what happened next!!1!".
    A lot of the content makers I care about have already moved on to other platforms (but still dump their stuff onto YouTube so you don't necessarily notice).

14. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

It's all about the views now and how much you can whore yourself out to get them.
    Truth be damned!

Unfortunately I fear a lot of smaller channels that aren't just about views don't get noticed as much because of the algorithms and how much a majority of Youtube users prefer click baity garbage.

Yakumo, takeshi385, Blur2040 and 2 others like this.
  15. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Welcome to the modern world. Facts don't matter--only that whatever is presented in done in a slick way. We, here, in AssemblerLand, live in a nice bubble, don't we?

There's no beating it though, so I just try to ignore it. Ungh. I'd love to list the ones I hate, but I'm half afraid of getting brigaded by fans. Real idiot types who do big videos about systems, but clearly know shit about them.

DSwizzy145, rso and Yakumo like this.
  16. subbie

[​IMG]

DSwizzy145 and PixelButts like this.
  17. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Second

18. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I've noticed this sort of thing fairly often too. Someone will say something in a video that is incorrect or only has a thread of truth behind it and next thing you know a bunch of people are repeating it as a fact. Apparently presenting such things in a video makes it true for people.

19. rso

Butbutbut it's on the internet?!

TV suddenly becoming "fake news" a while back I can understand because that's what a lot (but not all) of it always was; but at what point did people do the complete opposite in the internet department and start believing everything online? Maybe it was the advent of social networks, and filter bubble/echo chamber environments developing therein, starting to desensitize people?

20. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

On the topic of misinformation, why are people recommended the use of pencil erasers for cleaning carts? I just imagine eraser shavings ending up in the cart slot. I know the common rebuttal is that alcohol leaves a residue(even though the industry uses alcohol), but who doesn't wipe down their cart after cleaning it?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017