The All Aussie Sega CD Model 1 Repair Adventure

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Brad_83, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Dr.Wily

Dr.Wily Peppy Member

I am sure this is not region related. Tried with japanese Megadrive, US Genesis and PAL Megadrive.

All Megadrive/Genesis 1 + Mega/Sega-CD 1 (EU, Jap, US) --> OK
    All Megadrive/Genesis 2 + Mega/Sega-CD 1 (EU, Jap, US) --> black screen

But, when I swap the orriginal BIOS of the Sega/Mega-CD by a multi region BIOS or a Mega-CD 2 BIOS, MD/Gen 2 boot fine with Mega/Sega-CD 1 .
    Or, if I use the Flux cartridge with Megadrive 2 and a Mega/Sega-CD 1with his orriginal BIOS it's works too.

I can provide a dump of my BIOSes if you want.

Shane McRetro likes this.
  2. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Actually no emulator I know of allows for PAL/Domestic combination. (Japanese Mega Drive with 50Hz video.)

Euro/Aussie PAL MEGA-CDs will go black screen with that setup. Only legit CD BIOSes which will accept that combination of settings are the ASIA BIOS. Those units report themselves as "PAL COMPATIBLE MEGA-CD" and are intended for Southern ASIA (Hong Kong and nearby countries which use British TVs.)

Japanese BIOS will display a error screen instead of blacking out. I think the blacking out happens due to a bug. FYI, Flux bypasses regional restrictions because it doesn't use the MD side of the BIOS for init. It uses only the SUB CPU BIOS, to gain access to the CD hardware.

3. Brad_83

Brad_83 Blast Power Away!!!!

G'day Everyone,

This adventure has finally come to an end and the Model 1 had become a Pandora's Box. When one issue was repaired, numerous others would rear their heads (I'm actually impressed I lasted as long as I did). I do hope this project has helped other people in one way or another. The unit has been sold and hopefully they will have more luck than I did.

See you around the forums and have a good one!

4. Ashevent

Ashevent Site Supporter 2015

it did, I finally received my new laser drive that was recommended and once i've completed a few other repair projects I hope to get my Model 1 up and running again. Thanks for the update and all the amazing info.

Brad_83 likes this.
  5. evilsim

evilsim Member

i've acquired a very clean JAP Sega CD model 1 which can read discs but wont load the games all the way. I get to loading screens / or can hear the game starting (cd audio working) but its stuck on the Sega CD boot logo. I'll clean the laser first and look for blown caps.. This forum thread is very handy :) thx everyone :D

EDIT: it was the drive belt. i soaked it in hot water for a while, then the thing could read discs. this proved it was the belt. i've ordered a new one.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

7. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

8. evilsim

evilsim Member

9. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

These will fit neo geo front loader aswell just gotta swap some bit's over from the old drive.

10. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

That's pretty dope thank you
    I did something similar with a LaserActive and replaced the whole entire drive from pioneer's CLD line. It was almost identical. Works perfectly now.