The 3rd Birthday PSP Pre-Production UMD

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by UnrealNStuff, Aug 11, 2016.

1. UnrealNStuff

UnrealNStuff Robust Member

Me and my friend Adam have alot of friends and contacts that give us alot of free games but one of them works for The Official Playstation Magazine. He gave Adam like 200+ PS2 promo's aswell as alot of promo items, Press kits and store stuff and weirdly enough also xbox, PSP and gameboy stuff. Among the PSP things was some crappy P!nk UMD that included a 512mb memory stick which i havent bothered checking out in all the time i own the thing, some retail games and a The 3rd Birthday Pre-Production UMD.
    I thought it was the retail game but upon further inspection, the creation date is 12.10.2010 which is 2 months and a few days difference. It also says that its version 0.01.
    I have dumped it for those that are interested in playing it / looking in the code to find differences or turned off debug features and what not.
    [​IMG]
    Download Link: https://mega.nz/#!S0QWyaiA!GSSfnURly3-UbN21Mx_dNu7_tUDD_ZAoKE_mdoqw6Sk
    Enjoy Everyone!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Spaceman, SILENT_Pavel, fate6 and 6 others like this.
  2. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

I have quite a few UMD pre-prods and most of them have version 0.01 or 0.02. I have no idea why. Usually the date is a better indication of how far along the game really is. And thank you for sharing :)

3. UnrealNStuff

No Problem, the game is uploaded!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    NexTheReal likes this.
  4. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I noticed this too. I have a V0.01 game that looks pretty damn close to final :p

5. UnrealNStuff

6. speedyink

I'm just saying those version numbers don't seem to mean squat for PSP games, lol.

Borman likes this.
  7. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

My guess is that whatever tool/form they use to order/create these discs has v0.01 as default value.

roubignolo likes this.
  8. UnrealNStuff

But the date on the disc is 2 months and 10 days before release. There must be some differences.

9. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

They don't print the discs/cases the day they are released. The game is probably finalized about 2 months before release and the game is manufactured and stored until the release day.

10. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

Some have debug menus and other oddities as they are ment to be shipped to reviewers.

11. speedyink

It's nice they actually put the date on it. You'd think there'd be some minor differences to retail given that time frame. Just have to explore and see!

12. UnrealNStuff

Maybe youre right and its just the retail copy but i uploaded it in case someone wants to look in the code and find some differences.
    I never played the original version so i cant judge. :p

13. Qrissi

Qrissi Rising Member

Thanks a lot for sharing! I imported this game when it came out in japan back in the days :p Really interested to see if there are any differences ~

14. UnrealNStuff

No problem!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
  15. Necrid

Necrid Rising Member

Hi, any news? I have 3 versions(1 pre-production, 1 test and a promo retail) and saves are not compatible.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CodeAsm likes this.
  16. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

Based on what I know of these, the 'Promo Only' version is likely identical to European retail UMD. The 'Pre-Production' with the ver 0.01 is simply the very first time they went to actual UMD manufacturing with the title. It could be exactly the same as retail, or vastly different... No way to tell from the printing on the disc.
    The Test Sample is a manufacturing sample for the US release of the game. 'ULUX' indicates it is still, technically, in beta, but that's no guarantee of any differences from retail. (Once it's out of beta the code changes to ULUS, and the number changes as well.)
    The two non-promo one will have different save games from the retail as the version #s and catalog #s are different, just no way around that. The saves for the promo one are probably compatible with the European retail game.

Either one of the non-promo ones could have neat stuff like debug menus and such, but you'd just have to play the game and look and see.

Borman likes this.
  17. psyk0pat

psyk0pat Proto Dumping Squad "To protect and to save!"

It has been a long time since I haven't touched my PSPs, but if I remember correctly saves are written on the console under their "UMD name".
    Yours are ULUX-xxx (beta), ULET-xxx (test), and ULES-xxx (retail). So i guess you have three different save files in your console. Maybe with a bit of hex edit you could be able to use one save with an other umd, but I don't think you'll discover something cool by doing so :-/

18. Spaceman

Spaceman PSX Historian

Bit of a necropost, but the link was removed. Anyone here still have this file that they can re-upload, or just PM me a link to? Parasite Eve is one of my favourites, and 3rd Birthday is one of the most enjoyable PSP titles I had the pleasure of purchasing.

19. Ligero_miguel

Ligero_miguel Rising Member

The link is deleted, anyone still does have the files?