The 3DFX - SEGA "Black Belt" dreamcast thread.

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Yes there are more, but most of them are simple demos like spinning cubes with light sources or examples of various texture formats...

Jollyroger

2. Guapo79

Guapo79 Guest

Are there any nice ones?

3. hmm, nothing very exciting... :)

Jollyroger

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A pitty :smt009 I want more! :smt022

5. negora

negora Guest

Hi there!

I know that what I'm gonna say could start a big argument about this theme, but that Black Belt pic which someone has shown some messages before, I think, it's part of a group of internal pics of SEGA, showing different models of Saturn. Time ago I got some "private" information from a friend. Later, some of these pics were shown to some magazines and they published these pics...

Some of these pics are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't found the pic which has been showed here, but I'm almost sure that I looked this before...

About if there's any Black Belt protoype (including plastics) I doubt that hardly. As someone of you have said, I think it's merely circuits and more circuits. Usually, the design of a system starts when the components have been defintively choosen, althought they change the schemes later (althought there're some exceptions, sure)

Ops, I'm new :p . Salutes to you all.

6. Alien Workshop

Alien Workshop Site Soldier

Nice, but you should have posted those pics in the "The Original Saturn/Project Jupiter" Thread :smt023

7. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

those are nice early Saturn pics. they should go in the Jupiter thread :)

8. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

Hey Negora!How are you?How's the weather at Spain?Remember me,iwe had communicated for your DC petition some time ago in case you needed help.

Anyway,it is possible that the "Blackbelt" Picture might be a Saturn design...CD,cart port,2 pads...

9. negora

negora Guest

Hola Vitamen and all ;) :

Oooops. Someone has known me, he he he. Well, althought I've been around here for some years, I've started to post recently. And I think I'll start to come here more frecuently, because I've found this place very interesting.

I'm sorry about that pics. I haven't seen the Jupiter / Saturn thread until this morning :p . Then, it was late for me to change the pics of place. Anyway, if you haven't done yet, I can put them there too.

Vitamen, it has passed much time Eh? ;) I think we all have changed much. At least, me :p . Nowdays, I'm a little more pragmatic. I love continuing finding rare items. It's sad, some time ago, I had to re-sell much material I had, since I've just began to work and, that years, I hadn't enough money to maintain them. Manye times I just "worked" like a simple representative between de seller and the buyer. I hope this changes from now :) .

Uys, I apologize you all for this "off topic" ;) . Coming back to the Black Belt theme, I remember that I've seen that "fake" Black Belt model before. And althought I didn't, look, as Vitamen comments, the components of the design. Even the ports are very similar to the Saturn ones. When I've sorted all my material, I'll try to look for any similar pic.

After having followed many projects very close, it's obvious that the design of a console starts when all the components and schemes are finished (or almost). The Katana project is the perfect example, since that all curious designs (including the pad) were started once SEGA of Japan had diagrams ready. In fact, the main form of a console isn't a direct decision of the case designers. Even the marketing department take part in this decision, having in mind some "psychological" aspects, like colors, basic forms... It sounds stupid, ok, but if experts believe this work... Because of all that it's why I think a project like Black Belt had ever any case design.

Salutes. I hope we've much to share among us :) .

kaiser77 likes this.
  10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The blackbelt photo shown in this thread is indeed one of the BlackBelt designs that were proposed from Sega of America.

Had this confirmed by an insider.

11. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I would say that the working hardware is probably the size of a sophia, uses a custom ICE and is probably tucked away somewhere.

Even if the code for the demo gets out, you'll need to do a reverse emu just from the code.

It's not like M2 where there's finished "retail" units around.

I just want to confirm if part of the lawsuit involved handing the rights to the project over to SEGA, or if it involved destruction of the project items. It very obviosly wasn't at 3DO as that was picked clean in the auction.

It may have even been a demo done on a custom
    pc...

The DC is in a PC style case, I would suspect black belt looks
    similar though probably much larger.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the guy i talked with did not mention if there was something working made.He just told me that the unit pictured in the black and white poster was one of the many designs proposed by Sega of America.

Anothet guy from the same source told me that a working prototype was made and it ran a demo,albeit he did not know anything about its form.

13. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

BlackBelt

I'm not too familiar with all the details regarding BlackBelt, and I know that I won't be the first person to point out the similarity between those prototype mock-up pictures and the Saturn. Does anyone else remember a different concept printed in C&VG that was essentially a Saturn with four controller ports? Was this an official design, or simply a guess from the magazine's art staff? Their recent attempts at creating a case for the Nintendo DS were actually quite accurate, or at least they will be if the hardware shown at E3 is the final design...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read my 2 posts above.They are as official as they get.

The picture presented here was indeed a blackbelt design.The man who gave it was from Sega of Europe,the sources i spoke with are as official as they get.Now we only have to learn about the working prototype.

period.

15. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Sega of Europe

From past experiences, it seems that people from Sega of Europe are more prepared to talk about prototype hardware (and software, for that matter) than their American or Japanese counterparts. Sadly, most of the important developments were either based in the US or Japan - SOE was sticking with SOA throughout the Saturn's life, though by the end they had grown closer to SOJ, so it's likely that this particular department has to answer to more NDA's than any other, which is surprising when you consider that workers can reveal such information as that mentioned in this topic already. Is there any information on the "Dural" project that can be leaked? I remember this being another name spread around in magazines during the Dreamcast's early R&D stages, but I always thought that "BlackBelt" and "Katana" were the official titles of the rival 128-bit designs led by SOA and SOJ respectively. This whole subject is why I love Sega so much - no other console manufacturer ever had so many confusing internal projects on the go at the same time!

16. antime

antime Guest

As was explained earlier in the thread, Dural is another name for Katana.

17. negora

negora Guest

Dural, Katana, Dreamcast... Just in the D day in which SEGA of Japan announced Dreamcast, they explained that up to 1000 names had been considered. Taking this into account... Now, it's time to find the famous list of names, he he he :p.

Talking about SEGA of Europe, I think in this like an "arm" directly "subjugated" to SEGA of Japan. However, since its origin, SEGA of America has always been much more independet and has been able to work more independtly. And, exactly, that's been the biggest problem at SEGA: each part did what almost they wanted. SEGA of Europe has been an expectator of the movements of each part. I like that, at the Present, it's able to take more active part in some projects, like producing or developing games (althought we haven't own studios here)

It's curious that an image of Black Belt come from Europe, taking in account that SEGA of America, at least in my opinion, has had much more problems to control the "theft" of `private information. And it's also surprising that they had a design of the cover without having a final internal structure of the console. I think it hasn't sense to start an external design without knowing what ports or structure a console is going to have. Sincerely, I've been following the SEGA saga since much time ago and I still think it's one of the most dark cases in its history...

Salutes.

18. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Guest

Dreamcast have 2 development library, one is KatanaR and next is windowsCE SDK for dreamcast...

19. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

I bought a magazine from a locally owned video game store. Its an EGM mag and it talks about Sega's 64bit plans. I don't have a scanner but I'll have my friend scan a few pages of it.

It talks about 3DFX and why Sega chose the company. It also covers the SH chips from SH 1 - 2 - 3 - 3E - DSP - 4.

20. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

I remember that article in EGM. its from either April, May or June 1997, in all likelihood.