The 2018 Prototype Releases Thread

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by KGRAMR, Jan 1, 2018.

1. verne94

verne94 Spirited Member

No, I don't own any site, I like to read it too.

2. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Keiji Dragon and sa1 like this.
  4. ExplodedHamster

ExplodedHamster Spirited Member

Whoops nevermind.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  5. Foas

Foas Prototype Enthusiast

6. verne94

verne94 Spirited Member

7. Meer

Meer Spirited Member

8. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Nice, about time that got out there. I guess that guy who rage quit and supposedly broke the disc out of frustration was just making it up? :D Or is this another build.

Keiji Dragon and _XBOX_ like this.
  9. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

This is an earlier build, that's why I put the date on the upload page.

_XBOX_ likes this.
  10. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

Keiji Dragon, _XBOX_ and verne94 like this.
  11. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

In an update to my previous comments about The House Of The Dead, I had no idea that a Saturn prototype was out there until just now:

http://hiddenpalace.org/The_House_of_the_Dead_(January_27_Prototype)

I've only spent a short period with this build so far, but it's possible to play through the whole single player game with only very rare soft locks occurring, and the hidden characters even work. However, quite a lot of the textures are still (terrible-looking) placeholders, and some locations remain flat shaded. Defeating the last boss is ridiculously hard due to the absence of visible projectiles, though you'll still take damage as expected. Perhaps the most interesting difference is that pitch-shifted voice files are presented in their raw form, plus I just love how Sophie jumps from the upper floor in the middle of the first stage. If you've not already, I'd strongly recommend you check this out... At the very least, it helps confirm that Tantalus made some effort to clean up more rough parts of their conversion before its release instead of Sega Europe just asking them to put out the last known "60%" complete version as was previously claimed.

P.S. Most codes from the retail version were implemented at this stage, but the hidden menu won't allow me to enable any other shade of blood except the default green - any ideas if it's possible to change this detail, perhaps via Action Replay intervention?

Yakumo and TheNew like this.
  12. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

So it's the one that doesn't have the fully functionning menus and/or music?

13. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

14. Yakumo

I played this but it always crashes on the 3rd stage just before you enter the lab room where the card key is stored.
    I'm sure this is a very close build to the Japanese demo version. I have an action-replay code to disable the Japanese demo time limit so that should allow the game to be played pasted the cut off area. Now where did I put the demo disc?

15. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

It is one month newer (late January) than the Japanese taikenban (late December). This build comes from a Saturn CD-R marked as Previewable on the case, 1/27 on the disc, sold by Segafreak_nl on here, who I believe dumped it previously. I was unable to readily find the dump, though, so the one on Hidden-Palace is a redump from the same disc.

I'd be interested to know of any other prototypes of the Saturn version.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  16. Yakumo

I'd like to see one with no textures. I think the game would look quite solid.

Zant likes this.
  17. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

I don't keep up with arcade gaming stuff a whole lot, but apparently an early demo version of the arcade version of The House of the Dead was dumped and submitted to MAME. Sadly it sounds like one of the flash ROMs with texture data was damaged, so it won't be an accurate dump, but certainly better than nothing.

https://m.facebook.com/AndyGeezerServices/photos/a.353911109588/10156934033159589/?type=3&source=57

From looking more at the Facebook post, it appears that the flash ROM just has some damaged pins and would be a very do-able repair. Hopefully he sends it to someone if he can't repair it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Yakumo likes this.
  18. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

I first saw that Facebook post a few weeks back, but I had no idea the ROM "damage" only amounted to a few pins needing repair as opposed to there possibly being lost texture - that's definitely promising news! Hopefully a release is possible, though I'm not holding my breath for any major changes in comparison with the final version. From what I can remember, there wasn't much preview coverage for The House Of The Dead, and I don't recall any mention of a location test (which may just mean it wasn't reported on), suggesting linear development similar to its Saturn conversion. Saying that, it's also known the game evolved out of a scrapped Judge Dredd tie-in, so maybe further leftovers can be restored, if not something more substantial as well? As a massive fan, I'll be keeping a close eye on any progress...

P.S. Wouldn't it be great if this early build contained even partial source code? Sega once confirmed that the original HOTD wasn't included in a Wii compilation with its first two sequels only because they'd long since misplaced the data for this plus several other titles from the same era, including Virtua Fighter 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

19. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Did they ever release 'Kung Fu Master 2' (Spartan X 2) rom for MAME? I know it exists and it's been dumped:

But did it ever get a public release in the end?

I grew up with the first one in the arcades, fond memories :)

good likes this.
  20. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

well, the difference is major - less stages, changes here-where, uses less number of ROMs or smaller in size.
    in general it looks like quite early version