The 2018 Prototype Releases Thread

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by KGRAMR, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

I'd be interested to see your findings... All I can be sure of is that the European retail code was definitely optimised to run at a higher vertical resolution than its NTSC counterpart, but for some reason the additional lines are cut off* whenever I try running this game in any revision of SSF - I seem to recall someone once telling me it's because the programmer responsible for modifying import editions forgot to change the display mode switch from its default, even though Tantalus operated within PAL territories, so you'd have expected this to take priority. Saying that, the prototype appears to be derived from the Japanese edition (perhaps even the Taikenban sampler) based on its subtitles, so it's hard to be certain what was the lead version.

*This also happens with later volumes in the Sega Flash series... Does anyone know of a solution?

2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

All this HotD stuff is definitely interesting. I wasn't aware that version of the game was moving around.

3. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

Yeah, and the Nights into Dreams E3 prototype was the japanese taikenban with a switched title screen.

Still, good to see that copy was dumped. Has it been uploaded anywhere?

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'll try to look at it some time soon. I'm kind of busy this week. My copy is the Japanese version.

5. Anthaemia.

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I'm gonna go ahead and call 100% BS on that one. Given Xtreme's...well..lets just call it unhealthy development process, why in the world would they throw in a game.com port into the mix. If it would have been even slightly considered it would be nothing but an idea, nowhere near a prototype on a friggin cart with a label(and 1997 copyright, just for lols). Speaking of which, the time frames are totally off to again, have any development even started. Xtreme was most probably 100% dead by summer 96, with the Game.com not releasing until a year later.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  7. Anthaemia.

More information has emerged about that Sonic Xtreme cartridge, which appears to be a mock-up picture from a Tiger Electronics catalogue published for a trade show months before the Game.com ever made it to retail. If my understanding is correct, the original poster on that Reddit thread doesn't own a prototype, but was instead offering $100 to anyone with such an item in their possession - like they'd hand over a rarity of this importance for so little! When you consider no other unreleased games for this platform have ever surfaced (to my knowledge, at least), I suspect that Sonic Xtreme was just another licence Tiger acquired yet ultimately never did anything with. Further examples I've seen mentioned include Turok, Castlevania and even Metal Gear Solid...

P.S. Actually, there's still a possibility "MGS" was real, though it may also be the case that its circulating box art and screenshots were just something thrown together as a way of selling the concept ahead of proper development beginning. Here's what I was able to find:

https://imgur.com/a/W3aOOsA

8. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

AntDRAG likes this.
  9. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

verne94 likes this.
  10. ExplodedHamster

ExplodedHamster Spirited Member

good, _XBOX_ and verne94 like this.
  11. TheManThatTellsTheTruth

TheManThatTellsTheTruth Active Member

Highly doubt that this build is an 1.0 master build, considering that the demos that you can select on the main menu actually dont' work because of missing data.

12. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

13. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

https://archive.org/download/Sony_P..._Set/Gex 3 - Deep Cover Gecko (USA) (v1.0).7z

Same build, different dump, demos work. The rom on Hidden Palace probably had errors in it affecting the demos as a result of ripping a scratched disc or sometime during the bootleg phase.

14. ExplodedHamster

15. Anthaemia.

In a continuation of my earlier post about Saturn-era titles from Sega that were announced for the Game.com, here's another example I recently found:

[​IMG]

Mock-up or not, the very idea of this is terrifying... Presumably it would have used elements of the Fighters Megamix conversion, which actually did see release?

P.S. According to several magazines, Virtua Fighter 3 was also briefly intended for the ill-fated Panasonic M2. *shudder*

Yakumo and good like this.
  16. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I wouldn't be surprised. The game.com was spectacularly successful in gaining well known video game series.

17. verne94

verne94 Spirited Member

Yakumo and Stipo360 like this.
  18. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

19. verne94

verne94 Spirited Member

20. ExplodedHamster