The 2016 Prototype Releases thread!

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Bramsworth, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

sa1 and verne94 like this.
  2. CoinCollector

CoinCollector Spirited Member

SpongeBob and Power Rangers are the icebreakers to usher in the beginning of the future of video game preservation? Never would have predicted it, but... awesome!

Along with the Hidden Palace wiki and releases, there's a whole lot of amazing stuff happening right now.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  3. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I don't get the hype, however nice it is. I mean aren't the available Sonic X-treme builds fan made builds (based on original source code). And there are like two or three levels with no events or anything going on?

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

The modifications that were done were more ports, not really "Fan made." Plus original builds as well. There are scraps of levels, but there wasnt really a game there, no. But it also only represents one branch of Xtreme.

americandad likes this.
  5. americandad

It's cool that it's out there and as a sort of pitch-demo. But what's interesting in more builds of the same thing? With nothing really playable there to enjoy.
    Are you saying that there actually is a game that's playable and hasn't been leaked?

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

It's just what in development games look like. Thats part of preserving the history, not everything is going to be a finished game, especially as one didnt really exist in this case. It's incredibly interesting to be able to pop into different moments in time and see what was being done.

Zoinkity and BLUamnEsiac like this.
  7. americandad

Exactly, that's what I meant by this:
    Of course not, but there are lots of protos out there that are still playable. Like Doom 3 E3 Demo. Three maps + intro. Very playable. If it wasn't for the bugs it'd be as good as a public demo. And there are tons of protos like this, even the HL2 leak or RE1.5. Preservation is good and necessary.
    But I like to play "what could have been", and look at videos of what's not playable (like X-Treme).

8. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Just release all the things :D (and maybe chip in some coins to support the collectors/programmers )

9. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Flash, EETFUK, Zant and 1 other person like this.
  10. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

I would personally date that to the big drx SEGA prototype release. SBSP and MMPR eclipse his release in terms of builds of an individual game but the drx proto release was AFAIK the absolute largest ever prototype haul.

11. CoinCollector

CoinCollector Spirited Member

I guess I was honing in on the numbers and did mean more highest volume of builds for a single game, but yeah, the drx Sega collection is absolutely insane and deserves as much credit as possible. Especially since there are several games in there with 20+ and 30+ builds.

12. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

It is really neat to see so many builds of each of those Climax titles. I'm thankful that people are taking the time to back up so many CD-Rs.

13. piplup10036

piplup10036 Gutsy Member

Over 50 prototypes of one game dumped? That has to be a world record or something. Thanks for sharing! Use to rent this game a lot when it came out.

14. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

15. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

16. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

17. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I need to get to updating this thread. I slagged off because with the opening of the Hidden Palace wiki there were plans so that a similar thing on the front page would go up so people can learn of all new proto releases there. Gonna be a while still before that's implemented though. Plus with the sheer amount of prototypes being released recently, listing them all one after the other has become kind of impossible unless I want the top post to look like an encyclopedia glossary.

verne94 likes this.
  18. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Remember, people chose your thread over another guy, who used to update his thread frequently. You owe it to them.

19. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I made an update, gotta sort through some more still. Hopefully if most people start at least making entries for their releases on Hidden Palace and we also get a news box on there eventually, things can become a bit more organized and centralized one place.

Also, no one stole the thunder away from the other guys thread. As I recall it was pretty inactive. Plus in a subforum that was arguably not as active as this one. Also, talking about people owing anyone anything in a video game forum usually is a moot point. But I don't want to argue over anything as silly as this :)

I should have a couple of my own releases within the next month or so, I'd imagine.

20. roubignolo

roubignolo Old.

[STAFF NOTE: message removed - don't advertise "forthcoming sales" when you don't have the required post count. This is considered circumventing Marketplace rules]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016