The 2009 X-mas Saturn BETA release

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Segafreak_NL, Nov 29, 2009.

?

I'd like to see the following released during x-mas..

Poll closed Dec 24, 2009.
  1. Croc -Legend of the Gobbos v1.0 10/22

34 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Grid Runner 4/23

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Magic Carpet preview

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Machinehead 7/96

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. NBA Action '98 9/19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NBA Live '97 Preview 2/14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. NHL '98 8/11

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. Quarterback Attack 9/22 9/28 (2 discs)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Solar Eclipse 8/29

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  10. Wicked 18 (Valora Valley Golf) [9/30/95]

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Voted Croc cuz its the only game I know. Since it started on PS though how much of a beta in terms of content could it possibly be? :( Probably just bugs that weren't fixed here and there or something.

2. MetalSlime

MetalSlime Just a Worthless Protoplasm

Magic Carpet is tempting but I voted for Croc as well. Either way it's nice of you to offer up an X-mas present.

3. Ollie

Ollie Robust Member

Well in the title it says "V1.0" so probally the final version but without one or two bugs fixed. Also if the "10/22" is relating to the 10th of October then the Playstation version had already been released by then.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I can confirm it's pretty much complete to the eye. I didn't do a 1 on 1 comparison yet.

5. Bramsworth

Wow, and it's leading the vote. I don't care for the other games, but if anything there is more early than the others, I should have gone with that heh.

Ah well, at least it's a generous offer regardless of what gets released :)

6. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

In my opinion, Croc is probably the most interesting of the games listed. However, since it's so close to a final build we probably won't find much different from the retail version. Therefore, I've gone with Valora Valley Golf because it still has a working title and may include plenty of early content - even though it was effectively a new course hacked into the Pebble Beach Golf Links engine (heck, those responsible didn't even change the heads-up display)!

By the way, did you know the "missing eyes" glitch in Croc was the result of its developers not optimising their code in the testing stage? This error only happens if you boot your Saturn with the game already inserted, and I've heard the exact cause for testers not finding this was because they were either using boot discs or some kind of software loader, perhaps even a cartridge-based unit. I'm guessing the use of physical media during later stages of production was rare at that particular studio...

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Actually you're wrong if the Magazines of the day are anything to go by. Croc was started as a Saturn based game. This is why the 3D is rock solid, more solid than the PlayStation version. Just a shame it has a really bad camera system.

yakumo

8. Bramsworth

Wow, really? I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned as a Saturn game in the previews I have in old magazines. I almost remember only hearing of there being a port sometime after the PS one was released, and that was like over a year afterwards IIRC.

The 3d really is the best I've ever seen the Saturn pull off, hands down. Even parts of Nights don't feel as smooth IMO.

9. Yakumo

NiGHTS isn't really that good IMO. Great game but nothing special in the Tech department. I'll see if I can find out where I read that Croc started off life as a Saturn title.

10. Segafreak_NL

It's been stated that the basic game was started in 1995, but with a dinosaur. Argonaut; 'Early on we decided that we needed to create our own libraries for graphics, 3D , audio etc rather than rely on the SEGA ones which, while powerful were not flexible enough for Croc.' But they also say 'Generally, our programmers and artists have matched every feature from Croc on other platforms onto the Saturn.'

I haven't checked Saturn Magazine yet, there could be some more information there.

11. Yakumo

ah, so it could be that the source I read was wrong and that it wasn't started as a Saturn project. I'm sure it was the official Saturn mag on sale in the UK that said it.

12. Segafreak_NL

^I'll take a look at that.

13. Segafreak_NL

A quick scan of the relevant section of the interview from SSM.

[​IMG]

14. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Funny to read that Argonaut showed Nintendo Croc and then a year and a half later Mario 64 was released...

15. Ryo Suzuki

Ryo Suzuki Rapidly Rising Member

Wow! SegaFreak releasing stuff for real! Are you opening your heart because of the last releases from SegaSaturno and Hidden Palace, pal? Just kidding. Thanks for offering all that stuff. Maybe I have misread something -you know I'm somewhat new around- or this is some tradition keeping on from previous years? If that's so, which betas have you released before?

I think I finally will vot for the Croc one, simply to follow the general trend.

16. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

He's released stuff previously :p I have a few betas in my Saturn folder stuff, so most of them are probably from him, just cant remember.

17. Segafreak_NL

I'm not sure how I should take this 'releasing stuff for real' comment but -in a friendly way to everybody- please stop asking about Chill. It will get out someday, mentioning it everytime won't help a release, quite the opposite really. It's just not the same releasing a $300+ proto or a ~$50-100 BETA.

Anyway, so far I've released:
    -Clockwork Knight Penguin Wars (X-mas '06)
    -Earthworm Jim 2 (X-mas '07)
    -SCUD (X-mas '07)
    -Tomb Raider (X-mas '08)
    -Scorcher (X-mas '08)

You can probably add Croc and something else to the list..

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  18. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

If not for anything else, thank you very much for Clockwork Knight Penguin Wars! Fingers crossed this "something" you mentioned happens soon as you seem to have a fantastic list of prototypes that could be potentially released...

19. Ollie

Ollie Robust Member

Clockwork Knight Penguin Wars was released? Or was it shared with only a few selected people? :S

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  20. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017