Test kit to dev kit

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by Yamato, May 30, 2012.

1. Yamato

Yamato Member

Hi all,
    I've read some posts below that someone bought a Test kit patched to be a Dev kit.
    Is it really just a swapped string, or is it a functional change?

I'm also curious about how can a RGH or JTag retail console become a full fledged Dev. Is it possible to do something similar in a test kit?

Thanks!

2. ROHLY20

ROHLY20 Member

A JTAG/RGH can't become a full dev kit. It can run a dev kernel which will let it to alot of the things that devs can do. You don't get all the features but you get alot. You can use Fusion or RGLoader. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you can use the SDK with RGLoader/Fusion.

3. superspeed

superspeed <B>Site Supporter 2012</B>

Yes you can use the SDK with them. Also you get all the same features with Fusion as you do with a XDK plus a little more. ;)

4. Yamato

Yamato Member

I'm interested in kernel debugging and actual developing. I thought "turning a RGH'd console into a dev" meant that. By using the actual XDK do you mean only using neighborhood and compiling and _running_ code?
    I'm basically wondering if there's any benefit in using either Fusion or RGHloader than using my Test Kit for developing purposes, where i'm only allowed to run unsigned code, use DVDemu and printf' through xbWatson.
    Thanks for the replies!

5. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Fusion is quite literally a dev kernel running, it doesn't use a patch system to fix up the retail kernel to dev...

6. Doom

Doom Robust Member

Fusion will allow you to do more than your TK as you'll actually be able to kernel debug and read/write memory in real time.

An RGH running Fusion can do everything an XDK can do along with loading dev and retail XEX's without modification (which is nice), along with a few other small perks. They have of course disabled PartnerNet use on the public release of Fusion, so that's one perk left that XDKs have over Fusion (if you can even call it one.)

-Doom

7. ROHLY20

ROHLY20 Member

That's awesome. I always thought that you couldnt use the SDK and couldn't real time debug and compile. That's pretty useful.

8. [cOz]

[cOz] Member

Sure it does, just everything is pre-patched.

9. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

Yeah, but I was given the notion that was better than having a patching engine running on the backround constantly. Or is it pretty much the same?

Edit: and coz seeing as you can load your own kernels using fusion a dashlaunch kernel would be pretty awesome :p

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  10. [cOz]

[cOz] Member

It's all pretty much the same LEo; nothing is constantly running in the background not even with dash launch loaded. Flexibility and time in general is lost when you hard code patches and hook targets when there is no compelling reason to.

Yamato :

You can actually debug from VS on a jtag/glitch without using fusion or rgloader - there is a plugin for dash launch called 'XBDM SCSE' that does that and more, not quite a devkit as you won't get processor profiling and such (I think?) but very useable. RGloader and maybe fusion (I've never tried it) should also be able to get you into kernel debugger over the network.

11. Eufo

Eufo Newly Registered

Ne confondez pas RGH\Jtag et xdk ...

12. itchy

itchy Guest

Premièrement, tu es sur un forum anglophone, donc tu doit parler anglais.

Deuxièmement, ils ne confondent rien du tout.

13. LEo

LEo Fiery Member

didn't know that, thanks!

14. superspeed

superspeed <B>Site Supporter 2012</B>

How are test kits patched over to full dev?

15. ddxcb

ddxcb Gota J.T.A.G. That Xbone Yo.

Thinks its either a patch xbdm or xbdm.ini

16. stoker25

stoker25 github.com/emoose

Actually it's patched XBDM + some HV patches to allow KD support.
    If your going to be doing kernel debugging I would recommend RGLoader over Fusion, not just because I helped with RGL but because the patches used are public, so you know what's been patched and where (just incase something unexpected happens). Also RGLoader is closer to true-devkit than Fusion is afaik, e.g. offsets between 14719 devkit and 14719 rgloader kernel are the same, with Fusion I'm not sure if that's the case.
    Not dissing Fusion or anything, but if you want to do development RGLoader is best since everything is open -- you know all the patches and processes that's been used to get the kernel running, and you can undo/add to them as you like. Fusion is better if you want to make your modded xbox look good imo.
    Of course, an actual devkit is better then both of them though :p
    (as i said, not dissing fusion or anything but again this is my opinion)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  17. shuma

shuma Robust Member

stoker you make it sound so friggin complicated! recint.ini in flash. done deal.

18. shuma

shuma Robust Member

also fusion runs way more stable than rgloader and has way better patches and features. just sayin. and yes i am bashing rgloader cause its crap.

19. kuji

kuji Spirited Member

I keep hearing everyone talk about the recint.ini, but how exactly to we convert a Test Kit to a Dev Kit?!

20. shuma

shuma Robust Member

instead of the recint.ini... why doesnt someone just do the honor of sharing 1 single dev kv with the community? pnet is ip whitelisted now so it wouldnt do any harm to any community at this point imo. changing the KV to a "devkit" kv is a permanent fix. recint.ini gets wiped when you run a recovery. just my 2 cents. and kuji it just works that way... for whatever reason when the kernel detects recint.ini in place no matter what it honors it as a devkit. this is the case for slims without sidecars!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012