system shock 2 possible source code open to general public

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by truemaster1, Mar 15, 2019.

1. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

some of us know about system shock 2 some of us already play it (i have a retro win98se pc for games like that) and some of us say damm too close to have a dc version. the only dc version is a leaked beta with framerate to unplayable rate. resently i replay system shock 2 and found that mods and updates that enchanded the overall quality of graghics and make the game compatible to newer version of windows than win95-98 and the said updates-mods existed a lot of years now. but thats not the reason for opening the thread i also found that there is a possibility that the source code will be public like the original shock game. and im sure a lot of dreamcasters would like a port of this (if possible) heres the news
    https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=10305.0

LuizNai, TerdFerguson, pool7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I would love to see something done with this, perhaps it is too much for the DC though without a huge team of full time developers working on it?

Wasn't the original source found already though when the old beta was found? I remember this game and also Thief 2 source code existed. The developer of the Steam re-release of System Shock 2, Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios contacted me last year since they seen my name all over the place in the DC community forums, and I pointed them in the right direction for the old source code so they could patch the game some further. For my help they let me pick out a free game so I grabbed Turok HD. They used the DC source code to release the latest update of the game. I believe they needed to patch the binary to add more stuff.

But this seems to be the full source and not just partial like the DC source was? At least that is what I am gathering which is really cool!

LuizNai and truemaster1 like this.
  3. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

@Anthony817 i didnt know that, youre great. but the way i see in system shock 2 forums most likely the whole source code is not avaible yet. thats why they waiting it. now if the game can be ported to dc once the full code released or it will need further optimizasion time will tell. most likely it wont be a straght port. anyway i dag up some information most sites have system requirements for the new patched game. the original 1999 release needed
    32mb ram
    pentiium 1 cpu
    4x cdrom
    but console ports manage to getaway with lowers specs

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Anthony817 and LuizNai like this.
  4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

For the memory limitations on the DC, levels could easily be split up and maybe fewer enemies on screen or something to keep it under 16mb. Similar was done with Half-Life and Soldier of Fortune ports.

But I think source ports of lesser demanding PC games on DC are more likely, such as Aliens VS Predator and a full port of Hexen 2. Those games are perfect for the DC.

truemaster1 likes this.
  5. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

system shock 1 would be good also. and speaking for system shock 1 a remake is coming and system shock 3 too. and this time not pc exclusive.

fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah SS1 would be a great candidate for a port to the system. As would Forsaken and Descent 1 and 2. If somebody ported over the assets from the Forsaken Remastered port that came out just last year that included all the exclusive content from the PSX/PC and N64 ports into a definitive version of the game, it would be great. Full source code exists for both of them.

Such an awesome game one of my favorites as a kid.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    truemaster1 and fafadou like this.
  7. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

keep in mind these specs were also running the full windows OS, on console there's far less RAM\CPU performance tax from an operating system, plus GPU hardware acceleration optimizations can give a huge performance boost

bulletbob, truemaster1 and Ivan GR like this.