System requirements for VF4 Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by MangledLeg, Oct 5, 2017.

1. MangledLeg

MangledLeg Peppy Member

Quick Q - I know VF4:FT on Naomi 2 need fw 3.17 or greater on the DIMM, but will it work on a regular DIMM or does it have to be a NET DIMM? I've only heard the latter, curious if it'll actually run on a regular DIMM.

2. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

Any DIMM will work as long as the firmware is 3.17 or higher.

You will be very hard pressed to find a regular Dimm with updated firmware that high as the only way to update them is using a special GD-Rom disc.

MangledLeg likes this.
  3. Lupin Third

Lupin Third Member

Sorry for resurrecting a necro-thread, but I wanted to post this information for future visitors: If you have a regular DIMM that you want to get fully updated to 4.01 or 4.02 (unofficial), AND you have access to either a friend's NetDIMM or if you have a spare NetDIMM yourself, you can swap the network PCB from the NetDIMM temporarily into the DIMM, and then netboot the firmware update image to update your regular DIMM to something more useful. Afterwards, you can swap the network PCB back into the NetDIMM, and find yourself with a fully updated regular DIMM.

4. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

@Lupin Third
    most of 'regular DIMM's have ver 1.02 firmware, they can't be updated in software way to VxWorks (2.x or later versions).
    described software update is only possible for 2.x or later DIMMs.

Lupin Third likes this.
  5. Lupin Third

Lupin Third Member

Thanks for the clarification!