Switchless SMSFM mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Jord4n313, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

So I recently purchased an SMSFM board, and I have been reading about a switchless 50/60hz mod for the SMS. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to marry these together.

The SMSFM has a 3 position switch - off, on, on with japanese region (aka PSG, FM, JP/FM).

The switchless mod monitors the reset button and if it is held it will cycle the mod while using an RGB LED as an indicator, but if the reset button is short pressed it finctions as normal.

It would be great if I could install them both in a way that allowed me to control the SMSFM without a physical switch - even if I lost the 50/60hz ability.

2. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

3. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

Damn, that really made me feel dumb (makes me wish my PhD was in electrical engineering instead of chemistry).

Do you know if this is being sold as a board anywhere or at least as preprogrammed chips?

Do you have a copy of the diagram fully translated to english?

What are the original bios and jap bios lines for? Is it for adding additional bios chips?

Do you know what lines have to be connected to just have the 50/60hz switching & replace the physical 3 position switch of the SMSFM and have them controlled by the reset button?

Im sorry for basically asking for the idiot’s connect this pin here and this pin here version, but I’m still learning

4. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

5. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

Ok thanks, i didnt even think to check the assembler file header for those kinds of instructions.

6. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

After analyzing the document
    After reading through the document a few times and comparing it to the circuit diagram of Tim’s SMSFM board, I think I understand it, but I do have a question.

if the BIOS pack is not being used, and therefore pin 4 is set to high (+5V), can pins 2 and 3 be completely ignored and not connected to anything?

It is the line below I am not clear on, it begins referring to pin 4:
    “high = BIOS-pack is not present - pin 2 and pin 3 stay in input mode with weak pull-ups enable”

Not sure what weak pull-ups enable means

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

This simply means that you can left pin 2 and 3 unconnected if pin 4 is connected to 5V.

8. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

Ok thanks - I am about to once again put my stupidity when it comes to electronics on display, but you only learn by asking stupid questions right?

I have noticed there are multiple different types of PIC16F630 chips for sale. Some have different operating specifications and others are even physically different. I am unsure what is best when it comes to things like PDIP, SOIC, TSSOP, etc. Is there a recommended best version of the PIC16F630 chip for this project?

In addition, is it recommended to solder wires directly from the chip to the SMS and SMSFM? Or is it better to use some sort of breakout PCB? If a PCB is preferable is there a recommended breakout PCB for this chip?

9. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

It's up to you. Should work with every version of the 16F630 microcontroller.

10. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

Can anyone recommend a PIC programmer? It won’t get much use so it doesn’t need to be commercial grade, but I don’t want garbage either. Preferably something simple with an onboard socket to just plug in the PDIP, flash, and go.

Anyone have experience with the K150? $12 - https://www.ebay.com/p/K150-EEPROM-...Ch340-ICSP-ISP-SG/2163317680?iid=122635149375

Or this PICKit3? $25 -https://www.ebay.com/p/Pickit3-PIC-...Cable-ICSP-Socket/2152425906?iid=262960473138

This one is a little more pricy, but if the other two are crap, would this be a decent choice? $58 - https://www.ebay.com/p/USB-MiniPro-...-AVR-Gal-Pic-SPI/22003257182?iid=232348541504

11. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Spirited Member

look for this TL866CS. its awsome for the price.

12. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

I know it isn't really necessary and I could just wire directly from the chip, but I prefer the clean professional look of a proper pcb to a loose chip and resistors - so I made this PCB for Borti's design. It is not much, but it was just as much about learning how to design a PCB as it was about modding my Sega Master System. What do you all think? If there is any interest, I'll upload the Gerbers, and since Oshpark is making me order 3 pcbs as the minimum, if anyone is interested in one of these boards, I don't mind putting together the other two and sending them out for just the cost of the materials and shipping OR I can send off just the blank board if you cover shipping - these 2 extra will go to waste otherwise. I can't do much, but I'd like to give back whereever I can as a way to pass on the selfless contributions of giants like Borti who designed this whole switching system!

[​IMG]