Supposed Mario Kart XXL Prototype

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by sonicsean89, Aug 18, 2015.

1. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/mario-kart-xxl-prototype-discovered/

So apparently a company called Denaris Entertainment Software either was working on, or at least pitched, a Mario Kart game for the GBA. There's video in the article I linked.

If it is at all real (which I doubt), I'm pretty certain that it was an unsolicited pitch, because Nintendo rarely lets companies use their IPs, and certainly not relative unknowns like Denaris Entertainment Software (Mobygames has 5 games to their credit, 2 DS shovelware games, a GBA pony game?, and a couple PC/PS1 games). Plus Nintendo hasn't released more than 1 Mario Kart game for a system, ever.

But I really don't think it's real, just going from what's in the video. The resolution looks a bit higher than the GBA, and I don't think, even near end of life, it was capable of Mode 7 scaling, multiple layers of Mode 7, and transparencies simultaneously.

What do you think?

2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Looks like shit anyway.

black sheep likes this.
  3. LiamR

LiamR Newly Registered

I pretty much agree with what you're saying. It looks like an unsolicited pitch, but it looks too advanced for GBA to be real.

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

It looks real to me. The guy has shown plenty of prototypes, and has plenty you can buy on Ebay. There is no reason for him to fake it :p

5. Bobo Mcloud

Bobo Mcloud Robust Member

+1 for Stevens credibility.
    He has uncovered some of the most intriguing prototypes within the last couple of years that I've followed and all 100% real and bought off him numerous times.

Borman likes this.
  6. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I got excited when I saw the Double Dash!! text style and opening screen being used. Disappointed when I saw the actual gameplay. I don't see any reason to think it isn't legitimate.

7. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Denaris (Manfred Trenz's company) already confirmed to have worked on this prototype many years ago (on their site).

EDIT:
    Holy moley, he upload footage for Katakis 3D for GBC too!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Wow, Katakis looks very impressive for the GBC!

9. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Interesting games. Too bad his videos are only 480p and don't capture the audio well at all.

10. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

Guys....if it's a GBA game, why is it on a Gameboy black card?

11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Because thats how some prototypes work...

12. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

Oh....I don't know a lot about GBA prototypes so, I don't know if GBA games used GBC cards at one point or another...

13. Bobo Mcloud

Bobo Mcloud Robust Member

A lot of gba prototypes are on that style of cart, I've got a few like that.

14. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Looks like shit. Comic Sans font in the menu? And what the fuck is with the camera not staying behind the kart? Not surprised at all that never saw the light of day, it looks like a shit third party title, not something of Nintendo's caliber.

black sheep likes this.
  15. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

As a programmer, your above comment is cringe worthy. Camera not sticking behind the player is likely the designer's choice, so that during this short demonstration it gives you multiple views of your player from varying angles, & shows off camera rotation. I would bet you could force it to stay closer by tweaking a single (or small set) of variables.

& a complaint about font? If this was a released product, you might have some justification, but changing that is incredibly simple to do. Why you'd expect that a third party developer would beautify the menu of a demonstration project that they are pitching Nintendo is beyond me, & shows a lack of understanding of game development.

Bobo Mcloud likes this.
  16. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

What ties do you have to Denaris? Sure, I guess it's possible that the camera was made purposely terrible to allow you to see the other angles of the cart, but I would've assumed that showing off camera rotation/effects and vehicle models would've been something for the "Demo" mode of the cart, not the "Play" mode. Surely the "Play" mode would have been for demonstrating actual gameplay mechanics... no?

You don't understand. It's Comic fucking Sans. I really shouldn't have to elaborate further, but it's not about a lack of "beautifying" the menu, it's about simply not using Comic Sans. If they had used Arial, then I would have thought to myself, "Oh, it's an unfinished menu in an alpha build." But no, someone with obviously poor taste made the conscious decision to use Comic Sans, the font so bad the community's hatred of it was used to fund cancer research, at some point in this project's development, even for a placeholder menu, and that obviously doesn't reflect well.

You know nothing about me or my background, my experience in the gaming development community, or even what protos I've released pseudonymously to this community instead of just YouTube videos. Get off of your high horse.

17. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

You do realize the menu is a total placeholder, right? I mean, if Nintendo released or allowed a new Mario Kart game, there's zero chance they would use the same pictures for the background. The menu for that was slapped together just to get to the playtest stage and the "demo".

18. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

Jesus dude, did comic sans kill your family and leave you orphaned on the street forcing you to do terrible things to survive or something?

19. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

I have no ties to Denaris, this is speculation by all of us. Mine is just a little more interesting than "this looks like shit." Sure, the start of every game basically looks like shit.

Sure, I agree. The camera values should change depending on the selection of Demo or Play. We have no idea about the status of this game demonstration, if it was ever finished or even pitched to Nintendo at all. Maybe he programmed the Play mode first, then included the Demo mode & tweaked the camera's values without including a check to determine which selection was made yet.

I am not going to insult you by pretending what you just said had anything to do with what we were talking about. How many betas you released under pseudonyms is irrelevant. & no high horse or pretending to know your complete background, just replying to what you said. Your high horse includes bragging about doing things under other names as if that means anything to anyone but the one doing it.

20. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Comic Sans was used on my Maths exam in year 11. It's the reason why I didn't pass because it was just so comical. Not because I was shit at Maths or anything.

I'm really shit with Maths