"Supposed" AGS-101 Screen replacements/upgrades for GBA: Can any of them even be trusted?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by Cyber Akuma, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Rising Member

So, have a GBA:SP that is an AGS-001, as well as an original GBA that I actually far prefer using, but it's no-lit screen makes it near impossible to do.

I recalled those old GBA "backlight" kits from years ago, which are long-gone now (I think they were called Afterburner? I am talking about the kids that existed long long before the GBA:SP was announced, when the GBA was still new). Then, the newer backlight kits were apparently actually left-over AGS-101 screen stock, and those just recently disappeared. There are a few random garbage kits out there nowadays, but most of these are really low quality random garbage from China or Hong Kong that's a cheap LCD (which I suspect is even lower quality than the AGS-001's screen) which are front-lit. Most of them call them "back-lit" just because that's the familiar term to get people to buy them, but 99% of them seem to be junk.

What I wanted to ask if there are any good sources left, official or unofficial/3rd party, that one can get an AGS-101 quality backlit screen anymore? And also, while I know there is a lot of work to do to put that screen in the original GBA, for the GBA:SP though would this be a drop-in replacement or is there still work to do to convert an AGS-001 to an AGS-101?

Also, most of the work in installing an AGS-001 or AGS-101 screen in an original GBA appears to be carving exactly enough space on the original faceplate to make the new screen fit. By any chance, does anyone sell pre-fabricated replacement faceplates that have been already cut to accommodate this?

2. Zeigren

Zeigren Spirited Member

3. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

4. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

are these legit 1:1 screens? I know sometimes when a company starts making these kinda screens again they turn out to be physically the same size but actually output at a different resolution and perform some type of scaling to compensate

In regards to OPs original question, there are definitely legit kits for putting a backlit GBASP screen in an original GBA but I don't personally know the best source for them atm

5. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

One of my friends runs a wholesale console parts company in Shenzhen, and he's stopped supplying replacement screens for the GBA because he can't find any suppliers that have consistent quality.

6. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Hmm. I should have done more research. Those new screens might not be the best option.
    Here's a video comparing a real 101 screen with a replacement:

The comments say that adjusting a potentiometer might improve picture quality, but I wouldn't risk it.

7. Cyber Akuma

Yeah, they seem to be saying the opposite when I asked about it on the reddit, that the screens are actually better quality and that he screwed up the adjustment, so I have no idea who to believe:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/95a267/supposed_ags101_screen_replacementsupgrades_for/

8. ShaunMurray

ShaunMurray Active Member

I have ordered 6 of the new ones now, all have worked without issue and have been the same quality as the original 101 panels.

9. Cyber Akuma

For those who have had no issues with the screens, what seller did you purchase them from? Can you provide a link?

10. ShaunMurray

ShaunMurray Active Member