SuperUfo Pro 8 add DSP chip

Discussion in 'Everdrive Clones and Support' started by mdmx, May 30, 2010.

1. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

I acquired a Super Ufo Pro 8 copier. I really like this copier because it's small and has a nice GUI. Unfortunately it does not have DSP support. According to the manual I have to use a DSP boot card to play DSP games. I tried Pilotwings and Mario Kart as a boot card, but that didn't work.

So I opened the unit and noticed an empty socket marked as 'DSP_74HC74' (14 Pin). I assume I can install a DSP chip here. So I disassembled my Mario Kart cartridge, but the DSP chip is much larger than the socket on the Ufo.

So how can I enable DSP support in the Super Ufo? I would prefer to install an DSP chip.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

The 74HC74 is a dual type flip flop, installing one of those might help...

3. ConsoleFun

ConsoleFun Gutsy Member

Mine had two empty sockets. One socket for a 74HC74, and one socket for the actual DSP chip. I installed both chips and DSP support works fine.

4. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

have to try this...

5. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

That's the one (assuming the chip missing is of a DIP type...), I would suggest you get 2, just in case one doesn't work. There is nothing more annoying in buying a new chip and then spending ages trying to work out why it don't work only to find the chip is fried.

7. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

ok, finally I installed the 74HC74 and a DSP chip. The socket for the DSP chip is hidden under the floppy drive, I haven't checked that place before :redface:

I disassembled the DSP chip from an old Pilotwings cartridge. The UFO shows 'DSP on' in the main menu. I've tested a few DSP games and they all seem to run, except Pilotwings - the screen turns black when I start a flight.

I wonder why that happens. At least Pilotwings should run, because the UFO has the chip from the game installed:confused:

8. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

Is the image of the pilotwings you use of the same region as the card you took the dsp from? Maybe its just a pal/ntsc timing problem, or maybe some kind of software protection, if you took the image from the original card that is.

9. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

The cart is PAL. I dumped it before I disassembled the DSP chip and I tested the NTSC versions of the game aswell. However no version does run properly on the UFO.

10. Oldgamingfart

Oldgamingfart Enthusiastic Member

The Super Wild Card DX has DSP support. I was playing Mario Kart and Pilotwings on it up until it stopped working. You can have it for parts if you like, it's boxed up like new.

11. ASSEMbler

Wouldn't the bios be different, you'd need pal bios right?

12. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

My PAL Super Nintendo has a lockout and 50/60hz switch, so I can boot everything :)

btw, the UFO has a NTSC boot cic installed. The DSP is from a PAL cart, but I think that shouldn't matter.

13. ASSEMbler

The cart connector itself might be missing some of the traces. I know some of my units like my bung units need a different edge connector as the stock doesn't have all the lines on it.

14. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Out of curiosity, Dont Pilotwings map the DSP chip at a different address than the other DSP games ?

I know that because I tried to use an Pilotwings cart as DSP on a copier and the only DSP game I could play with it plugged was itself. I then bought an Mario Kart cartridge and been using it as DSP chip instead... My copier has no internal slot for DSP, though. Means I aways have to plug the cart in.

15. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Exactly, there is a map for LoROM (Pilotwings + 1 other I think) and one for HiROM. Smarter copiers decode both spaces (and may do address translation for external carts) but it's not that difficult to just patch Pilotwings.

16. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

thank you, that explains my problem:nod:

btw, is the DSP chip from Pilotwings exactly the same as in a HiROM cart? I wonder if I can get any problems when I'm using a DSP chip from a LoROM cart for HiROM games.

17. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Yes, all DSP1 contain the same code (well multiple revisions of DSP code exist but are all compatible), the chip itself is just accessed in a different area of memory.

18. DrReviews

DrReviews Newly Registered

I see that this is an old thread, however when you guys modded this Super UFO Pro 8, was it the original import one?

Can it be done to the newer stateside released unit here http://www.dascheap.com/snes-adapter-super-ufo-pro-8.html?

19. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

They are talking about the original Chinese Super UFO Pro 8 drive, not the flash-card versions.

20. wyndcrosser

wyndcrosser Rising Member

I did this as well and it worked. I like my SF7 slightly better as I use a usb floppy emulator for all my games. Never fails and no dirty disks :)